All booked up for next year..........

smufter

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 04:26, smufter said:

Cheers Ian. Ideally like the temperatures to drop a little as a bit too warm for me at the moment, but we'll still have a great time mate.

Nope! Only 4 to go now. Picking the bait up on Friday evening, ready for the off on Saturday morning. Free WiFi over there, so will keep you posted.

Rob, at my son's suggestion we took two large fishing umbrellas with us. These offered shelter from the sun yet allowed what little breeze there was to reach us during the days. Turns out it was a good move!

Ian

I had a very pleasant surprise last night. Kim and Iain, the owners of Rushes Lake, have invited me and my son Alan to house/dog/cats/ lake sit for ten days mid November. The lake is closed to fishing from October to March each year so we'll have complete access to everything. This is almost entirely down to the fact that their dog, Mylo, and my son became firm friends during our recent week there. They are off to visit their son in Dubai for a week.

Excited? Oh, yes. Flattered? More than a little.

Better get the ferry sorted...…….

Ian

28 minutes ago, chillfactor said:

Sounds spot on Ian 😎

You , wait there want some wrought iron gates & railings made 😂

Phil, this won't come as a surprise to you but we've already discussed the supply and installation of wrought ironwork around the raised patio area of a property they're having built nearby...….

Are you a male witch or what?

Ian

10 hours ago, welder said:

Phil, this won't come as a surprise to you but we've already discussed the supply and installation of wrought ironwork around the raised patio area of a property they're having built nearby...….

Are you a male witch or what?

Ian

Just know what it's like when you have a trade .... lost count of the holidays in this country where I've taken tools :wink:

Got back yesterday evening around 8, absolutely shattered after the long day travelling.

A really good week, spoiled (for me at least) when I went down with a severe, (and I do mean severe), stomach bug around Thursday lunchtime. I don't know whether it was due to dehydration, (my wife is always telling me I don't drink enough water/fluids), or the steak I had for lunch the previous day in Chateau Gontier, (served up somewhat "rarer" than I normally enjoy), but I was laid low from Thursday afternoon until Saturday morning, feeling like death warmed up. Without painting too vivid a picture, lets just say I had to throw away a pair of jeans, pants, socks and shoes, it was that bad. Felt as weak as a kitten for the remainder of the day, and Friday, spending almost 24 hours in the bivvy sleeping.

This holiday highlighted the problems of going on a fishing holiday during the height of Summer. Blisteringly hot, too hot. And the swim we were in didn't help at all. Eddy, (the owner of Genesis), had kindly reserved swim 1 for us, as this was the closest to the amenities, (toilets and showers etc.) for Lydia. A thoughtful touch, and one that was very much appreciated at the time of booking.
But after setting up base camp and spending the 1st evening there the problems became apparent. The sun was in our faces from early afternoon, until darkness. It really was blinding. And this, combined with the July heat made life under canvas very uncomfortable indeed. We put up with it for two days, but it became apparent that we had to move to find some more shade, so I ventured down the far end of the lake and found that swim 5 offered us the solution. And because what little prevailing breeze there was blowing down that way, we found that the fish were congregating down that end. Loads of big carp just cruising around on the surface.

We couldn't be bothered to up sticks completely and move everything down there, after all, the evenings weren't a problem for actually sleeping and swim 1, despite the heat of the day, was very roomy and comfortable, but we decided to move all of the actual fishing gear down there and fish swim 5 for the remainder of the week, returning to swim 1 just to sleep. This proved to be a wise decision as this was were the bigger fish came from. Lydia finally caught one that smashed her previous personal best, a 31lb Mirror. I caught a couple of low twenties before succumbing to the aforementioned stomach bug. That afternoon I had boated my rigs out to a recommended spot and almost immediately had a take. I was too weak by this time to even want to fish so Lydia lifted into it and landed a 27.5lb Mirror. This was followed up fairly quickly by another one, tipping the scales at 26.5. 

I felt a little better by yesterday morning, so was up at 1st light to try to winkle out one or two before we packed to head off home, managing a small Mirror at around 12lb (didn't bother to weigh it). Nothing else from then on, so as I say, loaded up the car and headed off around 10.30am.

So all in all, a mixed report. Lovely fishery, lovely setting, some lovely fish. Eddy looked after us well, his cooking was 1st class and his knowledge of the lake second to none. He was there if needed, but left us to our own devices all week, which is the sign of a good bailiff as far as I am concerned. 

Would I go back??? Yes, definitely. But NOT in July, and definitely NOT in swim 1 if the weather was too hot!!

Pics to follow.

Rob

Edited by smufter

6 hours ago, chris said:

I just moved my chair under the big tree next to the swim to find some shade.

Did that a few times Chris, but it was still a right royal pain in the butt when you needed to re-bait, or alter your rigs in any way. Most uncomfortable I've been on the bank for ages