Knotless Knot

Richard713

Seems like a bit of a silly question this one but, does anyone find once they've tied a knotless knot and pulled down tight that the hair slips around to the side and doesn't sit on the back of the hook shank? My hair seem to exit on the side or the hookpoint side of the shank which just spoils presentation slightly. As I say, sounds silly but is one of them annoyances for me !!

Yup! Not on your own mate.

3 options that I know of 

1) shrink tube it

2) line aligner

3) when you do the turns down the shank do three turns pull the hair back over those turns then continue to the amount of turns you would normally do and then let the hair drop back......no doubt if any of that is wrong the pro's will guide you slightly better than me 😂😉

16 hours ago, dayvid said:

I always use a dab of superglue , it also acts as a line aligner to a degree.

I won't use Superglue anywhere near my rigs, I don't like the smell myself, it may not put fish off, but I won't chance it. I have also found that any repair or fix with Superglue is likely to break at less pressure; prevents needle or hook knots flexing or moving and gripping themselves as they tighten with a fish on.

I use BC's method of a couple of turns below where it exits, or silicon or shrink tube. If you put the tubing on after tying the hook knot it is fiddly, but possible to get the hair out of the back of the tubing. Another alternative is a piece of tubing, either shrink or silicon, along the shank to hold it in place, basically as a blowback rig, but tight in place instead of able to move as a blowback rig.

3 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I have also found that any repair or fix with Superglue is likely to break at less pressure; prevents needle or hook knots flexing or moving and gripping themselves as they tighten with a fish on.

I agree.

I find if you keep the link taught during tying you'll not struggle with the hair creeping round the shank.

On 2017-5-22 at 16:34, malcfish said:

when you start trying hold the hair along the side of hook shank same side you start to wind. when you tighten down the hair will turn and sit on top of shank.

perfectly .

I can confirm this was the answer that helped me the most.
When I do this and then pull as tight as I can, the hair sits perfectly on top of the shank, as desired!
So simple, but it always is when you're told how :lol:
Thank you !

On 26/05/2017 at 08:41, Richard713 said:

I can confirm this was the answer that helped me the most.
When I do this and then pull as tight as I can, the hair sits perfectly on top of the shank, as desired!
So simple, but it always is when you're told how :lol:
Thank you !

now there is a great idea, we ask a question and you often get conflicting replies.

to come back and give a positive response about which answer worked best not only gives more positive info to the forum but Kudos to the supplier of said info too.

well done Richard :wink: