Daiwa reels general opinion

Hello, guys. I'd like to hear your general opinions/experiences from Daiwa reels - it would be best to mention the model and its pros/cons. Nothing specific, just 2-3 sentences. People from my country's carping forum are giving AWFUL reviews for Daiwa reels which I just cannot believe... I recently got a Daiwa TDM3012 which performed excelently on my last trip, although when reeling in and backwinding it gives off a strange sound which doesn't sound right to me, but it had no problems when I was battling a 20lb mirror. From what I've heard, and seen, Daiwa are the best there is at the moment and the reviews I read today came as a complete shock to me...  

hi Angel

i have a pair of crosscast 5000x's ive only used them a couple of time , the only down side i have found so far is they are to free running , I like to play my fish by backwinding , these reels will backwind until the handle is down , when placed in the rod rests unless the anti reverse is engaged .

dave  

Because I've only had some cheap Diawa baitrunners many years ago I cannot really say whether they are good or bad.

What I could say is that since owning shimano reels I would never buy another brand.

Shimano are widely accepted as being the best reels by a long way, through all price ranges, no question.

My big pits are probably 15 years old and have been serviced once in that time, not that they needed it, I just wanted to give them a treat because they have given me plenty of good memories.  They are like new, no noise, no damage, a brilliant clutch and I could land anything on them and I mean anything, they will last me forever no doubt whatsoever.

Sorry to burst your bubble somewhat but you should have bought some Shimmy's.

To be honest, in my country I don't have that big of a choice... I don't regret buying the Daiwa reel, it performed admirably on its first real challenge, I'm sure I will enjoy it for many years to come ^^ Though I've heard only good reviews for Shimano, they must make excellent reels - maybe i'll try them out when the time comes to change mine :)

Once you get some Shimmy's you wont look at anything else.

I know you said they performed well on their first outing, but you also said they were making not so good noises already- I hope you get your moneys worth out of them - not sounding great already.

(Senior moment) Actually I was wrong before - I did own a pair of Diawa big pits which were my spod and marker reels, can't remember the name right now but within a year or so the clutch on one went wrong and the line clips were so poor they damaged the line, I went and bought a pair of Shimmy's which cost a bit more but are great, good as brand new still and with the addition of a QD drag, which is great for the job.

The Diawa were so rubbish I must have blanked it out of my memory.

Sorry I'm making it worse 😄

9 hours ago, cloud9 said:

Im not being funny here , but why do you need a clutch on a spod or a marker reel ? 

dave 

I use the front drag or clutch on my marker reel to allow me to pull line off the reel.

I haven't had Daiwa reels for years, I found Shimano back in the 1990's, stayed with them ever since as I know a Shimano reel won't fail.

I have had my diawa infinities for around 13 years now. Never been serviced, other than a clean down and oil every couple or three years by myself. I would never change them. I've never even been tempted to 'upgrade' them as I don't think they can be!

I also have a pair of emblem spod reels for my spod and marker rods. These are also bullet proof but do need a bit more of a regular oil to keep them in top nick. I know coops uses these reels for his 'fishing' rods and loves them. 

There is is no doubt that there are some decent shimmy reels about though. Just that I wouldn't change mine to them, doesn't mean that someone else wouldn't. 

6 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

I have had my diawa infinities for around 13 years now. Never been serviced, other than a clean down and oil every couple or three years by myself.

That.

shimmys are lush out the box and stay that way with a service every ten minutes. Even the old long casts, which were the most solid reels shimmy ever made, die after a few years proper use.

I too have infinities, replaced shimmys with them. Never serviced them, they just go on and on and on and.....

I have Daiwa Emblem X , had them for years ,only ever cleaned and oiled , never missed a beat see no reason to change ,

On another note it would seem  Shimano have cut back on the quality of bearings and internal workings on their TLD range of sea reels a few years back ,but cant comment on their freshwater reels

On 3/30/2017 at 23:37, kevtaylor said:

I know you said they performed well on their first outing, but you also said they were making not so good noises already- I hope you get your moneys worth out of them - not sounding great already.

Yeap, but it was there ever since I bought it, so perhaps its just normal, hence why I said it didn't sound right to me ^^ 

I've got Daiwa Theory SP reels, 4000 size, simply amazing quality, they are my main carp reels. Expensive but i expect them to last a lifetime. For me Daiwa make great reels and rods, plus I prefer to back a UK company making fishing tackle.

With Shimano the quality is good in the reels, but not so with the rods, but thats just my observations. I also hate the way Shimano discount tackle as soon as a new model comes out. You can pay £200 one week and next it's half price, stinky winky if you've just paid full wack. I also think the the old Shimano reels were much better, hence the old ones still about on E-Bay?