MAINLINE what is everyone using?

I will be filling my new reels on the weekend , what do people recommend? Can't be braided line due to fishery rules

Depends completely on the type of angling you'll be doing fella.

- For out-and-out distance casting you want a pre-stretched line, something like Fox Exocet. However, abrasion resistance is non existent and they tend not to sink too well either.

- If you want a little more abrasion resistance/sinking but maintain casting then the new semi pre-stretched lines are very popular, Gardner GT-HD, Shimano Technium, that kind of thing.

-Then you have the genuine all-rounders, they do everything quite well. As said above Gardner Pro is very good indeed, as is ESP Synchro XT (NOT the loaded version).

- Then you have what I call snag lines, the stuff with great abrasion resistance but you'll not cast a million miles with it. Think Gardner Hydro Tuff.

No line does everything, you should buy it to suit your needs.

I use Rig Marole SLS Specimon Tough. It's indestructible, has the strength of a snag line (they saw through wood with it in their demo at the shows) but it casts and sinks OK. It's not the most supple but I can hit 130 with the 18lb (0.37 mm dia.) with quite soft rods. I'm no big caster either.

If I had to recommend one line, and one line only, it would be Shimano Technium Black. 

Absolutely fantastic line, casts well, loads well, sinks well, knots well, it does everything well.

Good abrasion resistance and is as tough as old boots.

A little more expensive than other lines, but worth every penny.

i have caught loads and loads of decent sized carp on it, and not once have I had my line give up on me.

12lb is my favoured, everyday choice, but 15lb is used when I go to France "just in case".

Having said that, I bought some new reels last Summer, and after reading very favourable reviews decided to load them with the "new" Wychwood DPF line. The purple stuff.

Like the Technium, it is does everything well. I have no complaints whatsoever about it's performance, if anything it sinks better than the Shimano and it's diameter is thinner for the given breaking strain.

I am, in fact, using 18lb on my reels and it doesn't look any thicker than the 12lb Technium, which gives me a little more confidence I suppose.

The only problem I am having is that my use of it has coincided with me hitting a rather lean spell in my catch rate.

Admittedly, since loading it I have been fishing notoriously difficult waters. 

The idea behind the purple colour is that it is supposed to be "almost" invisible when in the water. The one thing I have noticed since using it is that I am getting a lot more "liners" than I used to get with Technium, so whether this bares out what they are saying I don't know.

I shall continue using it for the time being, hopefully when the weather improves a little so will my catch rate, and help dispel any little niggles I might have with it.

I am off to France again in July, and have bought a tin of Technium to hold in reserve. If necessary, I will load my spare spools up with this and swap over should the DPF continue to under perform on the catch front.

Like most things "carping" it is all about confidence in your tackle. With Technium I am 100% confident. DPF? Jury is out at the moment but it's nothing that a few fish on the bank won't rectify.

Sorry to ramble on.

Rob

Edited by smufter

I've just loaded esp crystal onto my new big pits and so far prefer it over daiwa sensor. Seems more supple, doesn't seem to retain memory (curly) like the sensor did. But I've not had to chuck and rigs further than an under arm flick yet so we shall see!

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I've just loaded esp crystal onto my new big pits and so far prefer it over daiwa sensor. Seems more supple, doesn't seem to retain memory (curly) like the sensor did. But I've not had to chuck and rigs further than an under arm flick yet so we shall see!

I used that a few years back and binned it after a one session, just couldn't get it to behave.

I used that a few years back and binned it after a one session, just couldn't get it to behave.

Same here, and found tying knots could be a pain, it did not always knot nicely or tidily. It responds to particular knots better than others!

Depends completely on the type of angling you'll be doing fella.

- For out-and-out distance casting you want a pre-stretched line, something like Fox Exocet. However, abrasion resistance is non existent and they tend not to sink too well either.

- If you want a little more abrasion resistance/sinking but maintain casting then the new semi pre-stretched lines are very popular, Gardner GT-HD, Shimano Technium, that kind of thing.

-Then you have the genuine all-rounders, they do everything quite well. As said above Gardner Pro is very good indeed, as is ESP Synchro XT (NOT the loaded version).

- Then you have what I call snag lines, the stuff with great abrasion resistance but you'll not cast a million miles with it. Think Gardner Hydro Tuff.

No line does everything, you should buy it to suit your needs.

I use Rig Marole SLS Specimon Tough. It's indestructible, has the strength of a snag line (they saw through wood with it in their demo at the shows) but it casts and sinks OK. It's not the most supple but I can hit 130 with the 18lb (0.37 mm dia.) with quite soft rods. I'm no big caster either.

morning yonny..... might be interested in this rig marole line you mention. I take it that's without a leader mate ? I'm looking at something to put on my spare spools for shorter range stuff that's better at coping with abrasion etc than my out & out casting line on the other spools . This stuff sounds like it might fit the bill , I was using pro gold but as good as this line is around snags etc it really doesn't cast well at all & having a snag line that you can still go 120 + with in the bag sounds perfect to me .