Dead leaf bottoms

Lumeymorris

The fish I had the other day was over a leafy bottom, I was using a bottom bait with plastic corn to bring it down slower.

What I will add is:

Before I fished I went over a small area with a sea fishing lead that as 4 prongs fitted. So that may help you too, cheaper & I think less off putting for the fish then a rake.

I reckon fishing on top of dead leaves will present a better surface than normal, nice firm little carpet for your bait and lead, but i also would use foam, pointless risking it without, but agree the most likely chance of hooking a leaf has to be on the retrieve and this may give a false impression.

Had 2 out so far under the tree, no foam used or needed

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Got cheesed off fishing yesterday.

I have never fished a lake with so many dead leaves on the bottom.

Every time I pulled my rig in, there were leaves everywhere.

Pulling my hair out.

Its not nice to see leafs on the hook everytime you retrieve it. One of my favorite swims is opo an island where the bigger fish patrol is unfishable to me as its swamped with them plus theres a stroung under tow & on top of that its the coots favorite hang out.

Im really hoping my change of tactics & being able to bait up in the dark this weekend will pay off.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not nice to see leafs on the hook everytime you retrieve it. One of my favorite swims is opo an island where the bigger fish patrol is unfishable to me as its swamped with them plus theres a stroung under tow & on top of that its the coots favorite hang out.

Im really hoping my change of tactics & being able to bait up in the dark this weekend will pay off.

I had this on my lake, coots diving over my bait and giving occasional pick-ups of my hookbait.

What you need is a rig which will reset itself, a very hard pop-up and your line either dead tight to a big lead, or running along the bottom.

Go to a D-rig or similar, with the weight as close as you can get it to the hook, since I have crayfish to deal with I use an olivette. The plastic tubing or shrink tube at one end goes over the eye of the hook and the olivette. The other end the very small piece of silicone holds to the hooklink and the olivette.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For Most of my fishing over dead leaf or really silty bottoms i use a stiff hinged rig and around a 10 inch hooklink on a heli setup Imo the best setup around for this type of fishing.

Thoe depending on how soft the clay is when fishing over clay i may switch to an inline system if the clay is pretty hard if its soft i will use a heli but with a lighter lead.