monkey climbers

i am starting to do a bit of carp fishing again after a long lay off "30 odd years"  ive kitted myself out again over the last few months ,the first time around i used to use monkey climbers "worked great especially in a wind "  but they seem to be unavailable now ! is this me being carp with technology and search engines or do very few use them now ?  

A company called matrix innovations make them I think their called cheeky monkeys. Some people still use them :)

good man , to the fore with help again  :wink:   edit "cough cough cough cough  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o £5.99 each for a bit of plastic "i can make my own and stick them on stainless welding rods " i am a bit tight mind !!!

Fashion, old chap, its a whole new world, everything has to be lined up perfectly and your reel handles folded in in case a tart walks past and wants to inspect your kit, fairy liquid bobbins and monkey climbers wont do, you need swingers that light up like Blackpool in september.

tell me about it ! its been quite an eye opener for me ,yup started with fairy tops then slit plastic tubes and when i reached the big time got some monkey climbers , my biggest shock was the difference in the tc of rods now !!!!!!! when i started i used 1.75 conoflex blanks and 3/4 oz leads they handled everything ,now they are a bream rod tc !!!!!!!!!!! i appreciate that carp are generally bigger now, a 20 was a real good fish when i left 30 odd years back but does it really justify 3.25lb tc ? any way im going to use the methods i left way back as a starting point and see how it goes ! never been much of a follower of fashion  :mrgreen:

Edited by gjc1

Fashion, old chap, its a whole new world, everything has to be lined up perfectly and your reel handles folded in in case a tart walks past and wants to inspect your kit, fairy liquid bobbins and monkey climbers wont do, you need swingers that light up like Blackpool in september.

only if you are a tart cm [emoji6] I purposefully set my stuff all over the place, if any one would like to complain they shall receive a polite " mind ya own business pal"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to have my buzz bars level, the handles the same because it irritates the hell out of me.

I have an engineering and wood working back ground, and when you've had years of getting everything plumb and true, little things like this bug me.

Anyone else's gear is absolutely up to them but mine, no, it has to be right.

Does it catch me anymore fish? No, of course it doesn't but I'm not sat there irritated looking at my rods.

I have many failings, and this is one of them :)

Do you remember Bi Tech Vipers, monkey climber alarms and the pitch got higher and louder as the bobbin neared the top, got alarms banned on one of my local holiday parks but worked a treat.

no recon that was after the mid 80's , worst alarm i remember were the bj the ones with the antenna that wouldnt go off half the time on a run then the other half of the time they would just keep sounding with nowt happening  :mrgreen:  ahhh happy days  :rolleyes:

only if you are a tart cm [emoji6] I purposefully set my stuff all over the place, if any one would like to complain they shall receive a polite " mind ya own business pal"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man after me own heart, dont give a damn what anybody else thinks rather they werent there anyway.

I couldn't give two hoots what anyone else thinks. It's purely my own OCD that means my rods have to be level, handles level same height etc.

Becomes a real pain when spots require slightly different set ups, and the clip on one rod is forward or back from the others. God forbid I should want flourocarbon on one rod and mono on another! *shudders

I rarely get my buzzer bars level, I look later and then try to push the high side down :oops:

As for reel handles, I rarely bother, although all the bail arms do have to be lined up at the top, which is actually more of a bite indication thing than any aesthetics :wink:

The one thing I do try to get perfectly flat and level is my bedchair!

Monkey climbers are handy if you want some resistance in your set-up when a fish takes, whereas most of us want minimal resistance, hence the switch back to hanging indicators.

A big heavy monkey on a needle is probably still pretty good on a long range set-up, where you get a drop back on a take, almost the heavier the better, but the same effect can be created by a spring or tension arm indicator and if a fish does take line at range, then the springer should come unclipped.

I don't think that swingers are as good for long range, may just be me though!

I think the solar ones were best, used with the adjustable pozi boss thingy, you could adjust just how tight or how loose to have your lines

http://www.solar24-7.co.uk/baitshop/titanium-indicator-range/product/t9-titanium-indicator---long-arm-system-2

http://www.solar24-7.co.uk/baitshop/titanium-indicator-range/product/t1-titanium-indicator---short-arm-system-2

Everything you need all in one

:wink:

Monkey climbers are handy if you want some resistance in your set-up when a fish takes, whereas most of us want minimal resistance, hence the switch back to hanging indicators.

i used to fish the monkeys vertical !, would you not get the same resistance as hangers ? they were about 2cm long and made of plastic with a tube on one side for an isotope if i remember correctly 

ok i can see that ! are hangers not going to be as heavy or heavier with the chain and more susceptible to the wind though and swingers the same as monkey climbers   ? im just trying to get my head around the reasons for some of the changes over the years !

I have to have my buzz bars level, the handles the same because it irritates the hell out of me.

I have an engineering and wood working back ground, and when you've had years of getting everything plumb and true, little things like this bug me.

I was absolutely devastated in France a few weeks ago.

Got to the Gite, unpacked my gear, and found that the insert had broken out of the bottom eye of one of my rods.

I had taken some spare rods with me, and had my two 11' Outkasts in positions 1 & 3 on my pod, with my spare Korum 10 footer in the middle position.

It looked awful!!

It sat up higher due to the slightly thicker handle, and it was a helluva job setting the bobbins perfectly because the eye spacing of it was totally different.

Completely ruined my holiday. Well not quite, but you get what I mean....