Getting ahead of a claim.

Right i've started today compiling a loooooong list of kit used in the persuit of Carp.

Initially so i could get an idea of what it's cost me to blank on a regular basis lol

Which got me wondering what insurence companies require in the event you need to make a claim, I guess it does depend of the company but has anyone had to make a claim and could shed some light on what was involved ?

My house contents covers me for my kit even at the bankside but excludes rods broken due to getting stepped on for some strange reason !!

Having typed that i should phone them and ask what they require but the law of s o d would suggest i end up making a claim soon there after looking very suspicious....

My list can be backed up by recipts but not for everything i own probably like a good many of us.

Would a list suffice backed up by photo's or are they insistant on proof of purchase ?

You thoughts and experiance peeps !

I did a substantial claim last year to my policy limit. It didn't cover it all because they base it on a new for old. They wanted me to list all I had and what I had paid for it. Quite a bit had been bought secondhand but it didn't matter. It is all usually dealt with by one of the big tackle sheds such as angling direct. They add all the replacement new costs up to get a total figure and then present this to the insurance company. Once agreed you then get that total to spend on whatever you like via the tackle shed. You will have to pay full rrp not there advertised price..

I would though just do a few pictures of main pricey items.

I've just renewed my house policy with Direct Line.

I've gone for the Direct Line Premium and they have confirmed that I've got cover to 5k in the house and on the bank.

Umm i think a call to my ins company is in order as my Excel list check sum passed 6k last night and i aint finished yet lol

I bet if alot of us added up the total value we would be waaaay under insured ! I think i may be :(

Edited by snoozer

most policies are about 6k and with a mid range setup built up over some years you can easily pass this figure as i found out remembering you are working it out at manufacturers rrp not what you paid or can get it for. this figure though is more than adequate to get a full kit replacement and bearing in mind the % chance of it happening and getting a total loss (you probably never have it all in the same place at one time) may not make the extra premium worthwhile.

good to make a point of actually not storing it all in the same shed or garage etc but spread it around.

most policies are about 6k...

I went on compare the meerkat and I went to direct line. None of them were anywhere near 6k (Most were actually around the 2k mark) without adding to the premium. The most was the Direct Line Premium Cover which was 5K as standard which could also be increased.

This was cover away from home as well though, not just at home.

Yer good point.

I don't own really expensive gear i just have a fair bit of it lol............ In other words i'm no Tackle tart :)

It's amazing how all the little bits soon add up.

It is nicely secured with alarms so that bit's covered.

I worked out what is in my rod holdall alone, and know that £1500 for rods and reels is about right for me on purchase price, although obviously I no longer have receipt. I do have pictures of my gear on the bank in use, but I reckon like everyone else things get added as you update or buy additional items.

I keep most receipts on my purchases for a year as habit, I have a kitchen drawer full of them, both fishing tackle and household items, then every now and again go through it and bin older out of guarantee receipts.