Reels under 60 pound and line colour

Hi all. I am looking at buying some new reels but don't want to break the bank. I was looking at the Fox Eos 10000 for 41.99. I was happy with this choice until I spoke to somebody and said I am fishing a lake with carp to 40lbs and cats to 90lbs.

They said that the reels may struggle with this size fish due to the gearing. He advised the Shimano 10000 for 59.99

What's your opinions? Do you have either of these reels and have you played big fish on them?

Next question is line colour. I am seriously considering purple line. I have read somewhere it is less likely to spook a fish if the can see a line than if they can't.

I have a feeder with bright yellow and I must admit it seems my catch rate has improved. Again has anyone experimented with this?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi Colin I have the shimano dl10000rb's unfortunately I've not had the pleasure of playing anything big on them, but the build quality in my opinion is good as you would expect from shimano. No doubt plenty of people on here will be able to give you some reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. I am looking at buying some new reels but don't want to break the bank. I was looking at the Fox Eos 10000 for 41.99. I was happy with this choice until I spoke to somebody and said I am fishing a lake with carp to 40lbs and cats to 90lbs.

They said that the reels may struggle with this size fish due to the gearing. He advised the Shimano 10000 for 59.99

What's your opinions? Do you have either of these reels and have you played big fish on them?

Next question is line colour. I am seriously considering purple line. I have read somewhere it is less likely to spook a fish if the can see a line than if they can't.

I have a feeder with bright yellow and I must admit it seems my catch rate has improved. Again has anyone experimented with this?

Thanks in advance

Colin

In the price bracket you are looking at I can recommend the Daiwa Emcast Evo's . Bullet proof .

And when you want to upgrade they are ideal for Spod and Probably Marker work as well . Tough as old boots with the trademark Daiwa quality

I have used Shimano reels for years (20+), and I honestly would not look at any other manufacturer for a fixed spool reel.

I have gone from 3500 Baitrunners to 4000's, to 6010's, onto Aerlex's, onto the new size DL10000's and back onto Beastmaster XTA's with the front spool baitrunner system, all carried on working with minimal care.

I have played a number of big fish on all of them (big being from doubles to 30+), and never has any reel missed a beat. I will be honest and say I have had an Aerlex, which I use as my spod reel, the bail arm mechanism has worn and the bail arm came free, which I was able to fix on the bank by fashioning a rubber grommet from a big rubber bead :!:

I can only put that down to repeated heavy use and abuse over 10 years!

I do get to play with a number of reels at work, and I would say an ST Baitrunner is as good as the next range up DL, the difference is you only get one carbon plastic spool compared to an aluminium spool and a carbon plastic one with the DL, which may be a consideration when playing catfish.

My DL's have played a number of 30lb fish, agin, (:wink: I know) no problems, and some of those were from snaggy areas where I needed to lock up to get the fish away from trouble.

The DL 10000 size reels I have used on Nazeing lagoons, and I would say that the maximum casting distance with 0.35mm 15lb line is around 90 metres, due to size and depth of the spool, the line can't pull off any further as you have taken too much off the top layers.

I recently purchased a set of Beastmaster XTA's, with the front baitrunner spool and clutch, and that has increased the casting distance, they are a big pit, big fish reel at a budget price, can be got for around £55 if you shop around.

The first fish I played on them was a very wild 8lb Sea Trout out of Nazeing with no problems, and had other carp since no problems.

I don't mess about with line colour, well, other than a dark or light dependant on water colour. Daiwa Sensor brown, Gardner Pro in light or dark are my line choices, they take the abuse, regular casting, on spod and fishing rods, and playing big fish.

Another important consideration is that a spool of line costs less than a £10, which if I do frag a line up on gravel or snags (which the Gardner is very resistant to!), it is cheap and easy to replace.

A good reliable line is probably one of the most important items of tackle!

Thanks mate that is really helpful. Both of my mates have the shimano 8000 and 10000. They have had cats over 40 and carp to 30. I must admit that they have coped really well. Apart from when the spool shot of the 80000 playing a cat as he hit the release by accident.

I do like the shimano but was really liking the fox but if they are not good enough there is no point getting them because they look nice.

The line thing really interests me as I have watched fish spook on my dark line or clear line but are quite happy to touch the yellow.

Thanks for the info. Plenty to mull over

...The line thing really interests me as I have watched fish spook on my dark line or clear line but are quite happy to touch the yellow...

I'm thinking about trying some Wychwood DPF.

At £12.99 it's well priced and it might just do what it says on the tin :wink: (Although, I'm not gonna be stickin' my head into the lake to check :P )