do's and don't with pets fishing

carpynath01

Hi all,

I would like to take my dog fishing, but worried he'll be to distracting or he'll get lost or loads of other things, he's a black & white cocker span mixed with a Yorkshire terrier!!! lovely temperament but got the energy of an Afghan wolfhound!!! he should of been a gun dog really but never had that much time to train him. How many of you take your dogs fishing with you and what are they like when you catch a fish or you have to move suddenly and unexpectedly?????

It's a tough one. I've got a scraggly terrier that I'd love to take fishing with me. I've only taken her with me a couple of times and it was hassle so I'm inclined to agree with CM's comments.

I love the image of the lab fetching every cast!!!

I'd say it very much depends on where you are fishing and how much control you have over your dog.

I know I can't trust mine to stay in the swim and it will jump up at every walker by, oh and definately take my rods out a couple of times!

If your lake is quiet and you know the other anglers are fine with all potential dog behaviour, then go for it, but I thnk if your worried it may be best to leave dog at home.

Could NEVER take my Lab fishing . I can only take her walkies when I KNOW nobody else will be around .....and if there is I have to walk another direction or cross the road .

I can see the headlines in the Grays a Gazette now . " complete stranger licked to death by Labrador pup".

Blink in' things are a pain in the bum but I wouldn't swap her for anything .

Well , not much :)

In my experience it's a hassle. If you have a nice quiet dog that won't leave your side go for it, mine was entirely too sociable and the danger of them disturbing someone or eating something nasty is too great. I caught Mrs Berger's little Offenpincher Sam with a #4 baitholder and a piece of cheese when we were ice fishing one evening and he made a terrible noise when his daddy took it out with the pliers.[emoji22]

• 4 weeks later...

If your dog does as it's told then it shouldn't be a problem or hamper your fishing.

It really does depend on each individual dog & owner never had a problem with my dog, wish there were more venues that allowed dogs tbh , but I can see why there isn't.

It only takes an idiot with no control of there dog to cause problems for other anglers. My Girl just chills out .

20160405_135128_zpsp5rmykny.jpg

FB_IMG_1460125946768_zpssxchj8m2.jpg

I always take my dog with me, he is a patterdale jack cross got him from the dogs trust as a pup and took him with me from the off, the only thing i have to watch out for is his bait eating, loves boilies, i don't let him have them, but if he gets the chance...

I made a big mistake a few years back, he got hold of a baited hook, totally my fault, lucky it was a stiff rig, the line was sticking out of his mouth as he was having problems swallowing the fluro line, had to prize his mouth apart with one fist and reach in with the other hand to get hold of the hook, barbed hook too.

• 3 weeks later...

id love to take my staffy with me but there would be a few less baby ducks running around this time of year. she is great with people, especially kids, but anything else thats running around the lake will end up on the menu. every time i go i think to myself ill take her this time but in reality its not worth the hassle, i go fishing to chill out not chase her around the lake.