Rig masters needed

nealjt

Or maybe there are two CMs!

At least his posts contain correct capitalisation. I thought impatience was the probably the cause of dual posting (pressing the post button more than once because it hadn't submitted) but others are suffering the same.

One thing is for sure though Dal, he don't need to post twice to get his posy [yes posy] count up :roll: 

Just been having a think, how would splicing the hook on work for you?

It does give a stiffer section near the hook, and then whipping on your hair or even using a sliding ring on the shank stopped with a rig stop bead?

If you do splice it, with the stiffer section you could use it for a pop-up or snowman rig with the rig ring, or with a whipped hair as a bottom bait rig.

Tied one up with 25lb Merlin while on the bank this weekend.

I say tied, spliced one up this weekend.

Dental Floss whipped hair, spliced hook and swivel, the hook fitted with a shrink tube kicker.

I'll add picture to this later

Tied one up with 25lb Merlin while on the bank this weekend.

I say tied, spliced one up this weekend.

Dental Floss whipped hair, spliced hook and swivel, the hook fitted with a shrink tube kicker.

I'll add picture to this later

As I said, it doesn't make it a complete length of 50lb Merlin; it still has a breaking strain of 25lb in the section between the splices.

image_zpsvfexnfou.jpeg

Sadly not the clearest picture, but you can make out the end of the splices.

I tested it by pulling on both ends with forceps, I could not physically break it.

Therefore the weak point will be the mainline to swivel knot, a fish would be carrying at most a 15cm hooklink, the hook itself can also be ejected should a fish be lost. Frank (Levigsp) has explained in the past how a hook can be ejected

The shrink tube at the swivel end, is simply to reduce tangles.

I wanted to fish braid in the weed at Taverham, but just decided to see if I could splice Merlin instead of knotting it. The rig idea just evolved from that. I think the original tubing was silicon tubing over the eye of the hook.

The hair was my standard hair attachment anyway, or with whipping thread, as no-one had published the knotless knot back in the early 1990's.