Ring Swivel or A Loop

crusian

As per the majority of "this or that" rig questions it really depends on what you want to achieve. Personally I try and keep metal work to a minimum on my rigs and tie the hook link material straight to whatever the lead system requires. If it's a chod or helicopter setup, then straight to the ring swivel that will slide on the leader, if I'm fishing a lead clip or an inline then straight onto the swivel that will fit in the clip or lead sleeve. If I'm going to have to keep taking the hook length off for sticks, or new rigs etc then I'll use a rig ring and a small quick change something or other. Any metal work slides into the lead, the clip, an anti tangle tube, or gets covered with rig tubing. Nice and neat. I think exposed swivels in rigs are a big cause of tangles. They don't keep the rig separate from the mainline on the cast enough for my liking.

What kind of rig are you thinking of?

I use both a ring swivel or a loop knot tied to the swivel, if is simply a case of which I grab when I grab a combi rig out the rig bin.

I only use a ring swivel, with the rig tied to the ring, for combi-links. I am happy to tie a loop knot on combi rigs as well.

For braid and coated braid, I think that the braid is supple enough to allow enough movement, but with combi-rigs I want a loop or ring for the added movement.

If on very rare occasions I use a silt or chod rig, then obviously the ring end of the swivel is on the tubing I use and the rig on the other.

I don't often get tangles, and on many occasions I fish without tubing. A run ring sliding up and down the mainline, then two rubber beads protecting the mainline to swivel knot and to stop the run ring sliding over the swivel, or run ring on tubing, and the tubing pushed into a buffer bead.

It also helps that I cast out with PVA bags, stringers or mesh every cast, that prevents most tangles, but even without it, I am sure my rigs are tangle free.

I always tie a fresh rig onto the mainline, I do not use quick links, I don't like them, I have seen too many lost fish down to them, and I have lost fish myself down to them, and I don't do stick mixes as such. I attach a PVA mesh bag by the simple means of an overhand knot around the mainline or tubing above the run ring, and then the hook point pushed through the mesh.

What are peoples opinions on whether to tie a Ring Swivel on the end of your hook length or tie a loop onto a normal swivel ? .

Ta .

:wink:

Hello mate hope you & yours are well :)

Loop hook link onto a Gardner Kwik-lok swivel or occasionally a small rig ring .

I like quick links . Nick doesn't but I do :wink:

...I think I'll start with an ordinary swivel tied with a palomar knot to the hook length and see if that cuts down on my occasional tangles .

Like John and NM, I use a quick link. Great for a quick change of the rig :wink:

If, however, you want to tie it to the swivel then a palomar to the hook link is not the best way (In my opinion). Tie the swivel to the main line with a palomar, then you tie a loop in the rig with a figure of eight knot.

To attach the rig you put the whole loop through the rig and then pull the rest of the rig through the loop. This is the strongest way of attaching both mainline and rig to a swivel using simple knots (All in my opinion, of course :wink: )

Edited by dalthegooner

P.S. To eliminate tangles, an anti tangle sleeve to your rig (Where it connects to your swivel :wink: ) and a PVA nugget or small PVA stick to the hook.

Personally, I never cast out a bare hook. The majority of the time I use PVA nuggets, but do also make a stick mix and use a stick occasionally.

Edited by dalthegooner

P.S. To eliminate tangles, an anti tangle sleeve to your rig (Where it connects to your swivel :wink: ) and a PVA nugget or small PVA stick to the hook.

Personally, I never cast out a bare hook. The majority of the time I use PVA nuggets, but do also make a stick mix and use a stick occasionally.

Thank you Dal matey it's such a long time since I've been fishing that I forget the above all-important information . Good man :wink:

Thanks fellas .

Dal your way of attaching the hook length to the mainline swivel sounds the similar to the way Matchmen attach their hooks to nylon , but I think Matchmen have a loop in their mainline so they are loop to loop ? .

Oh , and thanks for prodding me into getting my nuggets out again ! .

Thanks fellas .

Dal your way of attaching the hook length to the mainline swivel sounds the similar to the way Matchmen attach their hooks to nylon , but I think Matchmen have a loop in their mainline so they are loop to loop ? .

Oh , and thanks for prodding me into getting my nuggets out again ! .

Loop to loop, exactly as match men do it. Works well, means you can change the rig. Strangely I use that method for chub and other species when using lighter hook links. I do prefer the swivel for carp and tench fishing as two lines pulling against each other, can cut through.

Other species don't pull quite so hard, with the exception of barbel, so I would be looking at swivel or rig ring for joining the line and hooklink together.