Piking at this time of the year??

Ive done a lot of pike fishing in the last few years but only ever in the winter, is it alright to be fishing for them now??

jack pike in Gunton

the lake I'm fishing at the moment holds a large amount of small pike but have heard i shouldn't be fishing for them in the spring and summer?

thanks

joe

When we were kids we used to catch pike all year (Most of the time when we weren't fishing for them :wink: ).

I know that a lot of people fish for them in the winter rather than the summer, but I think this is more because they still stay active compared to a lot of other species during the colder months rather than it not being right to fish for them in the warmer months (Of course; I don't claim to be an experienced pike fisherman at all, so could be woefully wrong :oops::wink: )

Ive been looking to do some piking myself, i read its still allright to fish for them just try and get them in and back in the water as fast as possible as they dont last well out the water, also when dead baiting use barbless hooks they swallow!

yh i hear i shouldn't use dead baits because they will swallow them far down!

well i know i I'm allowed to fish to fish for them at my lake anytime of the year.

When we were kids we used to catch pike all year (Most of the time when we weren't fishing for them :wink: ).

I know that a lot of people fish for them in the winter rather than the summer, but I think this is more because they still stay active compared to a lot of other species during the colder months rather than it not being right to fish for them in the warmer months (Of course; I don't claim to be an experienced pike fisherman at all, so could be woefully wrong :oops::wink: )

i think you are probably right there :P

il give it a go at the weekend with a spinner :P

A lot of venues (mostly lakes) ban pike fishing between March and October with live or dead baiting, but you can lure fish.

The reasoning behind this is that pike can suffer from low oxygen levels after a prolonged fight, and the stress can cause them to belly up and die.

Rivers the pike tend to be returned into higher oxygenated water, due to the flow.

Personally I save my piking from September onwards, unless I grab a lure session, which is not often. I do occasionally hook pike accidentally in the summer, usually when after perch where I may have been using a small livie for perch, or occasionally one snaffles a boilie or slug or a fish I'm retrieving.

On returning I am as careful as I can possibly be, holding onto the fish until it has recovered properly and swims away of its own accord.

A lot of venues (mostly lakes) ban pike fishing between March and October with live or dead baiting, but you can lure fish.

The reasoning behind this is that pike can suffer from low oxygen levels after a prolonged fight, and the stress can cause them to belly up and die.

Rivers the pike tend to be returned into higher oxygenated water, due to the flow...

Good post and reasons which make perfect sense 8)

Sounds like you have to take as much care as you do when barbel fishing (Extreme care taken to ensure that the fish is oxygenated and fighting fit before it is released).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all yes pike fishing is ok tho time off year as the river seasons as just began town this end I do a lot of pluging for bike on a boat down the rivers and that best of luck

heya jimmboy, in the midlands where i live bikes are now out of season, we switch to plugging for shopping trolleys down the local cut in late may but tend to catch more damned pike. does my head in it do!! :lol:

coat getting :wink: :wink: