Birthday 72-hour Venue Recommendations

Gents, appreciate there are 101 'where shall I fish?' threads here. However, if I could have the benefit of your experience one more time I'd be most grateful! In July I'm planning a 3 or 4 day trip as a birthday treat, and I'm thinking I'd like to take the opportunity to travel to somewhere I wouldn't ordinarily get to. Ideally I'd like to get into a few fish, I'm not necessarily after an obscene amount of 30's or 40's or anything but somewhere I'm likely to have some good sport if I put some effort in and think fish would be nice. Somewhere with showers might be good too but not essential. I will be going during the week, to suit whenever it's likely to be most quiet. I had a quick glance at Linear in Oxford. There is at least alot of choice of lakes, however I don't know if fishing at range is a prerequisite for getting amongst fish there? I've had no real experience of that style of fishing so worry about spending 3 days doing serious learning and not much catching. Anyway, all answers welcome. Thanks. Dan.

Danny , i've never fished there but my nephews have , have you ever looked at Churchwood in Brentwood ?

I know its not exactly a journey but it is pretty exclusive , log cabin , max 3 anglers & all that jazz ?

Then theres the Quarry where the infamous non-happening Carp.com social was supposed to take place .

I've never fished anywhere like Linear , Oxlease etc but they sound like heavily pressured always-full hustle bustle type places to me but plenty people fish there so there must be something about it to attract all the Mafazine articles etc

That aspect of linear really really puts me off. It was my only example based on not really knowing of any alternatives. I've sent churchwood an enquiry, perhaps you should come along Tim!? I've heard of par lakes but heard some bad reviews in terms of management of bookings and the kind of people that go there. Could be total bull though who knows? Where is the quarry?

That aspect of linear really really puts me off. It was my only example based on not really knowing of any alternatives. I've sent churchwood an enquiry, perhaps you should come along Tim!? I've heard of par lakes but heard some bad reviews in terms of management of bookings and the kind of people that go there. Could be total bull though who knows? Where is the quarry?

Essex somewhere mate , used to be syndicate but now a pre-bookable day ticket water .

Plenty on here have fished it quite recently too. If the right people see this you may get some more info ...

I'll be able to make trips like that when my boys older and i can get back into the real world of employment etc

Till then i'm happy helping others mate :wink:

http://www.weybreadcarpfishery.co.uk/might be worth a look, your comment of "a rung above novice" made me think it could be suited. I'm not sure where you are based but this is in Suffolk. It's not uber tough but not quite a runs water either, and with a reasonable chance of a 20. All swims bookable with mapped out areas and all have good chance to catch. Mid week you could well have the place to yourself. No showers, but there is a clean toilet with a sink. I've not signed in for ages but your request has got me to so thank you!

http://www.weybreadcarpfishery.co.uk/might be worth a look, your comment of "a rung above novice" made me think it could be suited. I'm not sure where you are based but this is in Suffolk. It's not uber tough but not quite a runs water either, and with a reasonable chance of a 20. All swims bookable with mapped out areas and all have good chance to catch. Mid week you could well have the place to yourself. No showers, but there is a clean toilet with a sink. I've not signed in for ages but your request has got me to so thank you!

Blimey hello stranger :wink:

Cheers! If your wary of distance I'd agree with churchwood, looks good, I get the impression you need a boilie boat for the margins, and that they get booked up early! Have you looked at Bentley fishery? If I was Essex for the cost of 72hours fishing I'd join CAPS and fish rookery lake, looks bloomin lovely and I'd bet mid week you have the whole lake... No luxuries though!

Hello Dan 

Have you looked on line at Suffolk Water Park ? .

I've never fished it myself , but I used to work with a fella who booked Jacobs Creek for himself , his wife and a friend .

The lady lost a few , apparently due to her not being physically able to pump the carp up in the water and quickly away from all the weed .

I think my friend was offered a free , or maybe heavily discounted , 2nd visit due to the struggles they had with the weed .

Has the weed been treated / if this  Summer is rubbish will there be much weed growth ? - sorry I don't know .

I may well see if I can have a look around the Traditional Lake , as I am not confident on fishing the main lake with the big boys ! .

Nick seems to have up to date information on SWP , maybe he'll be along later .

:wink:

Hi guys. Wanted to make sure I came back and thanked you all for the suggestions. Not heard back from churchwood yet. Neal is CAPS Colchester angling? I didn't see a rookery on their venue list? Called something else now or not under their control? Just going to look at Bentleys and Suffolk water park now.

Norfolk Suffolk area, I would say Suffolk Water Park, but getting onto fish can be very frustrating, as people move very quickly onto them, or be lodged in the swim you want for days. Also, I believe the shower at the cafe is currently unavailable as it is being refurbished. However, if you get it right, and get lucky then you could have a few fish, they go high 30's, or 40 if you have JS scales...

Other waters, Waveney Valley, Heartsmere, Yew Tree, Marsh, on the Two counties border. Just Google Waveney Valley and you will get the details and web page appear. Some nice fish, some good facilities etc.

Taverham Mills up near Norwich, again has a website, but I know the phone number is 01603 861014. Fish do go to 30+. If you have a look through Norfolk waters I know there is a very very detailed breakdown of the lake, complete with some of the features to aim for! I wrote it after fishing there from 1992 until 2002 :wink:

Camelot, another water in the same area as Waveney Valley, or Burgh Castle near Great Yarmouth. These last two I haven't fished however so can't give any more on them.

An alternative is Lee Valley Fisheries, look at either Banjo Lake, or Stock pit

https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/go/fisheries/

Not too far to go, and you may find these peepul can un'stand wot you talkin'bout. :lol:

Follow nicks advice, but I can say heartsmere at waveney valley is nice, only has 5 swims so a few of you can get the whole lake, and there is good facilities there. The fish can be cagey so must be super quiet and set up back from the bank. If you are uber quiet they can be caught on hemp and sweetcorn close in. Or either as tight as you can get to the far bank, or 6 foot off the overhanging trees. Let us know where you end up!

If you don't mind travelling, then Festival fishery in Sommerset is well worth a look http://www.festivalcarpfishery.co.uk/lake.html

A well thought out and run lake, where all the swims are located on two large islands, meaning the longest chuck from any of the swim is no more than 50/60 yards and each of the 8 swims has more than enough water. It's not a runs water by any means but not hard either, with some real stunning looking scaley mirrors. There is showers on site and all the bailiffing staff are spot on.

As I say a bit of travelling involved by well worth it in my opinion.

Edited by gidneyboy

Hi Danny. There is a place I believe called manor pool farm its oxford you ain't even got to bring a bivvy mate your Essex way ain't ya ? Iv been looking at a place called furnace lakes looks like a good water with plenty of big fish mate

So many good suggestions from you all that i haven't had time to even look at all of the lakes yet, let alone get close to figuring out which one might be the one for me! Thanks though all, will no doubt be back with some questions in time. I'll have to make a spreadsheet to compare them all :)