Berleying

Guest Swamptrout

Throwing stick, you can make one with tubing quite easily; might need some practice and experimentation though.

Plastic ruler with some sort of case on the end (a plastic lid cut down and probably shaped)

Blow tube, not sure on range though.

If it's warm, maybe worth freezing some in water, that will give you some weight to throw it.

Follows Phils post (thought for the day I think) on his remote control boat.

Bagging waggler, basically a feeder on the end of some heavy duty dowling, then mix your feed up with groundbait or ovaltine (sticks bait together) and launch it to where you want it.

Guest Swamptrout

I've found a scoop ball bat, I think that's what you call them. I have put  tape over the holes, and I can flick grains of rice about 30-40 feet. With a bit of practice maybe a bit further.

Thanks everyone for the replies 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4' piece of 1 1/2" abs pipe that I stop up about 1' from the bottom with a piece of pool noodle foam a few inches long I've trimmed to fit snugly and held in place with a thin stove bolt. I drilled a few sets of holes for adjustment and to aid drainage. I load that up (big end).and unload with a casting motion; it throws out a nice line of groundbait that fans out a bit at the end. If I could find it I'd show you.

Luke...and others...I've googled and yeah they're illegal in VIC and NSW.

http://www.outdoorswarehouse.com.au/pages/Weapons-Laws-and-Regulations.html

Go figure.

I am honestly gobsmacked Steve, catapults are banned, yet I was looking at a compound bow the other day that can fire an arrow at over 300 feet per second that I (and my 12 year old daughter) could buy on the spot with no licence or even handing over ID. :roll:  It's also bizarre as I am sure that if you look at importing them the import rules are that you can't import one with a wrist brace, but if it doesn't have a wrist brace it's ok, with no mention of individual states.  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

And yes Australia is harder on guns than the UK or US/Canada. For instance, you have to apply for a gun licence, which takes months to come through and needs the usual checks etc to be completed. However, when you have that licence, you still cant actually buy or own a gun :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  If you want a gun (and i mean everytime you want to buy a gun) you then have to apply for a licence to acquire which has a "cooling off period". Which is utterly ridiculous as legally held firearms used in crime is a ridiculously low %, in fact I think you will find that there is a statistic like washing baskets statistically kill more people a year than legally held firearms.  

If you want a gun (and i mean everytime you want to buy a gun) you then have to apply for a licence to acquire which has a "cooling off period".

Which is utterly ridiculous as legally held firearms used in crime is a ridiculously low %,

in fact I think you will find that there is a statistic like washing baskets statistically kill more people a year than legally held firearms.  

Hmmm?

Maybe that's why?

(just playing devils advocate)

• 3 months later...
Guest Swamptrout

I have a 4' piece of 1 1/2" abs pipe that I stop up about 1' from the bottom with a piece of pool noodle foam a few inches long I've trimmed to fit snugly and held in place with a thin stove bolt. I drilled a few sets of holes for adjustment and to aid drainage. I load that up (big end).and unload with a casting motion; it throws out a nice line of groundbait that fans out a bit at the end. If I could find it I'd show you.

I took you up on your idea, got a piece of condude, after a couple of modifications and a bit of practice PERFECT, thank's for the advice.