Yet another bite indication thread lol

newmarket

I was reading earlier , an old issue of Carpology , and there was an article by/with a fella called Leon Bartropp.

He's pretty well known i think and a regular in the mags .

The article was something like "a rig to catch a carp to save your life" or similar .

Now i cant remember much about his actual hooklength , i dont think it was anything special but the thing that caught my eye was his lead arrangement .

Basically , semi-fixed lead , average length hooklink , lead clip and the usual stuff . With SLACK lines .

How does THAT work ?

I'll guess, slack lines to minimise the chances of liners, and he's banking on his lead doing the hook setting and getting a fairly aggressive take? Also, I've been thinking about slack lines; does he happen to say at what range he fishes that setup. I'd like to think that if your fishing fairly close in you'd still get an indication without a whole lot of movement if fishing semi-slack lines. What weight lead?

You dont always want to listen to your teachers NM because there talking rubbish. Semi slack lines semi fixed rigs is what i use for majority of my fishing. Semi slack lines increase indication no matter what your lead set up is because haveing a drop on your indicator gives it more travel which allows it to do what its meant to which is indicate.

Sometimes i use semi slack lines back leads and semi fixed leads your teachers would proberly say thats stupid but my album says different.

Yea still get indication on drop backs if you use the rigjt indicator and set it properly. I use semi slack lines with fox swinger arms if you get a drop bk you get a couple of bleeps which isnt alot but its enough to get your attention, you have a couple of bleeps tighten swinger if its wont tighten you no you had drop back. 99 times out of hundred the takes are savage anyway.

Personally im gutted slack lines have become main stream it was a massive edge up until around 6 or 7 years ago and people would look at you like you were a loo. Now them very same people are useing slack lines.

Yea still get indication on drop backs if you use the rigjt indicator and set it properly. I use semi slack lines with fox swinger arms if you get a drop bk you get a couple of bleeps which isnt alot but its enough to get your attention, you have a couple of bleeps tighten swinger if its wont tighten you no you had drop back. 99 times out of hundred the takes are savage anyway.

Personally im gutted slack lines have become main stream it was a massive edge up until around 6 or 7 years ago and people would look at you like you were a loo. Now them very same people are useing slack lines.

Strangely enough Liam , when im fishing i seem to be the only one slack lining albeit with running leads .

I just wonder whether they are slack lining yet back leading too ?

Would that make it APPEAR to be a tight line ?

I used to do what you do , with lead clips etc but got too many single bleeps / getting done / tangled hooklinks etc so switched .

Strangely enough Liam , when im fishing i seem to be the only one slack lining albeit with running leads .

I just wonder whether they are slack lining yet back leading too ?

Would that make it APPEAR to be a tight line ?

I used to do what you do , with lead clips etc but got too many single bleeps / getting done / tangled hooklinks etc so switched .

Possibly they are fishing slack lines with back leads although i dont see many people fishing this way. Do they have a drop on there swingers if so then they might be. The reason i fish semi slack with bk leads is because even when using back leads line can still be off the bottom unless the lake bed is perfectly flat which very few are. Secondly if you dont have a drop on the indicator it carnt indicate properly and its my opinion that semi slack lines offer more indication anyway.

You will notice how i mention semi slack apposed to slack line. The difference between a semi slack and a completely slack line is massive doesnt give any advantage to fidh real slack it gives poor indication and offers no advantages imo. But like all things in carp fishing there always some who have to take things to such an extreme it becomes detromental to there angling.

As for tangles with lead clips foam, stringers ect stop that i use supple hook links majority of the time never have issues with tangles.

I fish that way as well, to answer Stevos question, you may not always get instant bite indication but nine times out of ten the hook is set anyway.

So if you don't always get bite indication straight away, a fish in theory could find an underwater snag before you know you've a hooked fish.

I remember a thread on here last year I think where somebody said they was getting bite indication and when lifting into the fish it had moved 30+ yards from his original cast ?

Liam when resetting your drop back bite on the indicator again could the fish not of swam into an underwater snag ?

It sounds like I'm trying to start an argument but I'm not honest

So if you don't always get bite indication straight away, a fish in theory could find an underwater snag before you know you've a hooked fish.

I remember a thread on here last year I think where somebody said they was getting bite indication and when lifting into the fish it had moved 30+ yards from his original cast ?

Liam when resetting your drop back bite on the indicator again could the fish not of swam into an underwater snag ?

It sounds like I'm trying to start an argument but I'm not honest

Possibly they are fishing slack lines with back leads although i dont see many people fishing this way. Do they have a drop on there swingers if so then they might be. The reason i fish semi slack with bk leads is because even when using back leads line can still be off the bottom unless the lake bed is perfectly flat which very few are. Secondly if you dont have a drop on the indicator it carnt indicate properly and its my opinion that semi slack lines offer more indication anyway.

You will notice how i mention semi slack apposed to slack line. The difference between a semi slack and a completely slack line is massive doesnt give any advantage to fidh real slack it gives poor indication and offers no advantages imo. But like all things in carp fishing there always some who have to take things to such an extreme it becomes detromental to there angling.

As for tangles with lead clips foam, stringers ect stop that i use supple hook links majority of the time never have issues with tangles.

When i mention tangles Liam i'm talking about after being " done " following single bleeps on the buzzer .

I switched to running leads and , until recently , completely eradicated single bleep syndrome and improved bite indication tenfold .

Until of course i bumped into mr Bream :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

Recently booked 4 nights on the island at Catch 22 and went down for a cheeky day session yesterday as i wanted to get a feel for the place.

My usual technique is to fish a slack line however previous to this i have only fished 'smaller waters'. After speaking to the baliff and owner they both advised spamming the rig 100 yards out into the middle where there is a big bar.

After casting as far as i possibly could (no where near far enough haha) i set my rod up on the alarms. After no end of beeps and bobbins jumping around i started to get frustrated. I spoke to baliff again to ask how he goes about taming the 20 acre pit.

He advised that he uses heavy leads (3 - 4 oz) and tightens the line up as much as possible. This was as soon as there is a take he will know, personally i dont like fishing like this as i think the line will be visible to the fish?

He said that given the size of the lake, the current and the sholes of smaller fish this is by far the best way to fish it as if not you will get no end of false indications with slack lines. Which after yesterday i would agree with..

Maybe i need to change my tactics for the big pits!

Heres a picture to keep us all happy :wink:

4d23d47b65d195794285e78daaafb99b.jpg

Edited by OliverCodling

I was reading earlier , an old issue of Carpology , and there was an article by/with a fella called Leon Bartropp.

He's pretty well known i think and a regular in the mags .

The article was something like "a rig to catch a carp to save your life" or similar .

Now i cant remember much about his actual hooklength , i dont think it was anything special but the thing that caught my eye was his lead arrangement .

Basically , semi-fixed lead , average length hooklink , lead clip and the usual stuff . With SLACK lines .

How does THAT work ?

And I seem to recall an article where the author tried that at Wraysbury, went out in the boat in the morning to discover his rigs had been stuffed, moved metres with no indication at the rod sync buzzer end.

Strange, may even have been Leon Bartropp...

I've never trusted slack lines with semi-fixed leads, too much scope for movement, and having watched and observed, seen underwater tests, know it doesn't work at any range where the fish can move towards you, either straight or in an arc.

If you must use slack lines, then go running...