Loop Knot Help

Ddgx

I think I'd like to do away with any kind of quick link in my end tackle set-up.

I have recently been trialling Korda Kwik links, and on a couple of occasions have found the hook length has started to work it's way around the curve - if unnoticed would have eventually detached. It's too much clutter and just another pivot point that I feel is probably at risk of tangling or catching.

So, I'd like to just have a loop at the end of my hook length, loop passed through swivel or ring swivel, then hook length passed back through the loop. I'm prepared to sacrifice the time i'd save with a quick link, for confidence that it isn't going to work itself free or tangle.

Question is; there are so many kinds of loop knots - I'm not sure which is going to be strongest but simplest to tie for this job? Would you have faith in just a simple overhand loop?

Also as a follow on question; will you tie any kind of knot in a coated braid without stripping the coating and expect it to stay put?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

I have recently been trialling Korda Kwik links, and on a couple of occasions have found the hook length has started to work it's way around the curve

Try using a piece of silicon sleeve to cover the quick link.

So, I'd like to just have a loop at the end of my hook length, loop passed through swivel or ring swivel, then hook length passed back through the loop.

Make sure you've got a big enough eye on your swivel, the knots can be quite big.

Question is; there are so many kinds of loop knots - I'm not sure which is going to be strongest but simplest to tie for this job?

Would you have faith in just a simple overhand loop?

Yes but test it to check.

I've tested several lines with a single overhand knot and some [lines] slip, so if in doubt use a figure of eight (pass through twice).

Also as a follow on question; will you tie any kind of knot in a coated braid without stripping the coating and expect it to stay put?

I have and do, it may split but will hold in my experience.

290x218.jpg

You can call me Dan by the way, my usernames stupid but it's easy for me to remember! 

So the above type. I was using a tapered sleeve over them at one point, but I wasn't happy - could be paranoia but felt like too much going on. The sleeves and the silicone tube both create a a lip which I always feel is a prime point for a tangle. I'm going to trial a loop through a ring swivel and see how I feel, i might still come back to a sleeve or silicone - see how it goes!

Only use something if it makes life easier, by the sounds of it they don't.

I find that I usually end up cutting the loop to get the hook length off when loop - loop with a swivel and so don't do it, you may find it easier.

There are swivels with a hook on the other end, it does need a piece of tube but sits much better on the line.

This time of year though anything is difficult with cold hands, tube splitting, banana hands at the best of times dropping everything :oops: all part of the fun :lol:

Well I realised it did make me look a bit of a wally! Yeah, I'm aiming for simplicity. Least amount of joins and components possible. My fishing is not about to become a bite a minute anyway so in terms of changing over hookbaits and getting rods back out I think I'll be happy with a loop.

Well I realised it did make me look a bit of a wally!

Sorry I was naughty :oops: and used some journalistic editing and mis-quoted you :lol: fel cheep to pik my upon bard grma nd mspelin

Yeah, I'm aiming for simplicity. Least amount of joins and components possible. My fishing is not about to become a bite a minute anyway so in terms of changing over hookbaits and getting rods back out I think I'll be happy with a loop.

My thoughts exactly

Dan try these mate on your mainline and use a perfection loop to add the hooklink .

These swivels in the size of your choice are so much easier .

You can google the perfection loop , no kinks , straight as a die mate .

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261216044712

Problem solved i promise .

They dont .

BUT if your a bit para about it then i've been known to use a rig sleeve . You just have to make sure you get em in a bog enough size to fit over the swivel .

They also kick the hooklink out on the cast to prevent tangles. Explanation on the packet mate.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360374132117

Edited by newmarket

Dan.... with anything other than uncoated braid I think going loop to loop on a swivel may create your hook link to kick out at a funny angle.

What NM is recommending is ideal. Just pull the hook link before casting to ensure it hasn't been moved by sliding the rig sleeve on.

Other than that tension will keep it where it's meant to be.

Okey cokey...

I have had problems with loop knotted hook links falling off quick links, spin links and other various links, with the exception of a swivel, so I have gone back to 'ye olde swivel', it works, doesn't often give way, means I can tidily cover my mainline to hooklink join with a buffer bead or tail rubber and most of all, I have confidence.

As for hooklink knots, I do like using a loop knot occasionally, especially with combi links, so I do use a knot I trust, and that for me is recommended by one of the best innovative tackle brands, Kryston. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I use and trust their materials as they don't fail, nor does this non slip loop knot

http://www.kryston.com/articles/ultimate-knots/

Well, that's food for thought. See the way I approach things now is, the next fish might be the catch of a life time, or the year, or the session, whatever, if there's even the remote chance of it not performing or failing then I want out! I tried a tail over a hook swivel, it seems on the face of it ok. But i can't help but think if you're unlucky when your fish is in a snag or weeds and manages to get lead hooked up long enough to head in the opposite direction to your mainline then conceivably it could slide off?

Dan try these mate on your mainline and use a perfection loop to add the hooklink .

These swivels in the size of your choice are so much easier .

You can google the perfection loop , no kinks , straight as a die mate .

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261216044712

Problem solved i promise .

that's what I use Dan,figure of 8 loop knot and anti tangle sleeve,never looked back mate

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's food for thought. See the way I approach things now is, the next fish might be the catch of a life time, or the year, or the session, whatever, if there's even the remote chance of it not performing or failing then I want out! I tried a tail over a hook swivel, it seems on the face of it ok. But i can't help but think if you're unlucky when your fish is in a snag or weeds and manages to get lead hooked up long enough to head in the opposite direction to your mainline then conceivably it could slide off?

Put it this way:

An angler who was fishing at Nazeing was attached to what I'm pretty sure was Digit, a fish that went between 35-38lb, and would easily have been a new PB. He was playing the fish when it cut through the margin weeds, and before I could lean out any further to net it, it was gone.

On inspection, the tail rubber covering his quick link was gone, so either his tail rubber slid down and the loop came off the link, or his loop knot snapped.

It is not the only occasion I have heard anglers bemoaning losing fish down to various quick links either. The simple loop, or the curled doubled quick links have all failed.

If a knot goes, it is totally MY fault, if an item of tackle fails...

• 2 months later...

I've been using the gardner kwik lok swivels, anti tangle sleeves and the same loop knot that Kryston recommend for a while now.   I tried the quick links but wasn't confident in them, they just seemed to add too much 'junk' to my rigs.

• 2 months later...

As mentioned, tie a figure of eight loop knot and put a rubber sleeve over the swivel its attached to. I use the same korda quick links as you. I dont pass the hooklink through the loop, just attach the hooklink with the sleeve covering it. I have had the same problem but it has never cost me a fish, if you are goin to be paranoid about it then just use a standard ring swivvel and tie it direct