suffolk water park

Guest Anonymous
£50 a night :shock::shock::shock::shock: Are you sure?

Having just phoned & asked the question to SWP, they don't even know how the info about this 'new lake' (which has actually been there for some time) has got out because apparently they haven't even made their minds up yet what's going on with it let alone announced anything.

Yes there is a lake there but it might even be a stock lake yet so he doesn't know where the £50 a night for a runs water has come from... Bankside rumours :?

Thats pretty much right. 1to 6 are only good in cold or miserable weather as it drops down deep. As does peg 12. Carrot always has about 10fish with it. And usually if you can see clearly from high in a tree carrot is the smallest of that group and carrot goes 27lb odd. All the fish move in groups of 10 or so. Which makes it tricky as their is only about 120 to 150 fish in there! And weekends are mindless. There is no limit on how many anglers so i went down a couple of weekends ago and every single peg on the 47peg lake was taken. The fish were hiding and nobody caught anything. There is a huge area of water behind the trees of pegs 1 to 5 where its not possible to get rods to. The fish retreat there when its busy. Dont blame them. The water park is also opening a runs water round the back of the golf course. Its going to be 50quid a night. No thanks!

Just about a perfect precis of the place (although there are a couple of shallower features in a couple of the low number pegs 1-6 if you know them :wink: )

As for £50 a night? Flipping heck!

Yeah i'm sure. I take it the guy who bothered to ring the shop spoke to trevor or stu who are bein tightlipped about it because they answer direct to pete clapperton. The other baliffs are not though. One of the baliffs is my regular fishing partner and when another baliff ticket comes available in january i have a verbal agreement to get it myself. That lake has been there since i started fishing the park before the clare park fish were introduced. There ya a rumour that a 40lb mirror called black dog was in there. I fished it a few times. Often saw lee jackson fishing it. I think black dog wasn't there though. I caught a few fin perfect 20's which are crackin fish if they'r still in there but never saw anything above 30. It also is crammed with bream and tench and there is no plans to net it when more carp are stocked. Its not a lake aimed at hardcore carpers but corporate stuff as they get lots of inquiries about block lake bookings and people with more money than sense who want guaranteed bites.. I'll stick to the big fish lake. Stop linear and Immac common look out!

• 1 year later...
Thats pretty much right. 1to 6 are only good in cold or miserable weather as it drops down deep. As does peg 12. Carrot always has about 10fish with it. And usually if you can see clearly from high in a tree carrot is the smallest of that group and carrot goes 27lb odd. All the fish move in groups of 10 or so. Which makes it tricky as their is only about 120 to 150 fish in there! And weekends are mindless. There is no limit on how many anglers so i went down a couple of weekends ago and every single peg on the 47peg lake was taken. The fish were hiding and nobody caught anything. There is a huge area of water behind the trees of pegs 1 to 5 where its not possible to get rods to. The fish retreat there when its busy. Dont blame them. The water park is also opening a runs water round the back of the golf course. Its going to be 50quid a night. No thanks!

I think you will find Grey Tail is no more.

Pegs 1 - 6 can produce in the summer, especially if you know the swims.

Peg 1 faces onto a large bay, with a lily bed halfway up into it. You CANNOT cast beyond the lilies unless you would like to be asked to leave! The fish do swim tight to the land opposite on right hand side of the swim, and I have also gotten them feeding in the margins, and taking floaters from the left hand side of the swim.

Peg 2 and 3 face onto a corner and 4 and 5 into another bay, where the fish can congretate at times.

Peg 6 is opposite a nicely wooded area, but there are a few gravel areas to find where the fish come out from. :wink:

The fish do swim up and down that arm of the lake, and a Zig rig as mentioned can and will work, and the fish do hang around the weedbeds along the near margins at times as well. I have been in the lake clearing weed so I could even cast out, and within minutes I have had fish "sniffing" around my feet as I was actually weed clearing.

The catches get written up on a noticeboard outside the office/shop, and when I looked on Friday there were only about 10 captures on it with the biggest fish at 32lbs.

cor thats an old thread you dredged up!!!! grey tail died last winter/spring if i remember right. i live on same road and have fished it since 1999 and had all but 2 of the named fish, what you say about the back pegs is right, but until you know the lake well, its a general rule of thumb. golden rule on the park is to never set up until you are sure you are on the fish. there is spots on every peg that will produce at any time of year, the flagpole can produce in winter and peg 2 in summer, just gotta keep eyes peeled, and keep away from the pressure.

fish have been flying out recently, i had 2 from car park swin mid february, 3.4 has been out twice already, pegs 1-5 10-13 and 33-35 have been producing, a lot of fish, 20 fish out in last 4 days, i'm gonna pop down asap!! quick overnighter after work tomorrow!!

I "dredged" the thread up for a reason, a new member was asking about the lake, and I gave a link to it in his welcome thread. I also knew about Grey Tail, but not totally the reason behind her death (she was an old fish as well ) and was supposedly found tethered attached to a leader. Keeping away from pressure can be a total impossibility. I've been past (and fished) when every peg is taken, in which case unless the fish decide to play ball, you actually may as well pack up and go home.

The prices have also changed (and for the better), with a 3 rod limit now in place, £20 for 24 hours.

For full rules, prices and everything else:

http://www.suffolkwaterpark.com/default.htm

Posted: 29th Mar 2011 20:32 Post subject: Plastic bait ban on Suffolk Water Park

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Everyone

I heard today that Suffolk Water Park has banned the use of plastic imitation baits - I'm not sure if that includes the Avid Sight Stops

Top post on the Forum mate. They have banned them along with sacks.

I'm guessing the reason is as above. I know that they have had issues with fish being caught trailing several rigs, leaders and leads. :evil:

The problem is anyone can fish it and often people are trying to cast big distances without shock leaders and using the biggest lead they can find. Just asking for a crack-off really, then as said a fish could pick it up a week or two later.

Hopefully they haven't lost another one to a sack. Shame they had to ban them, I used to use one for about 5 minutes while I got my camera and stuff sorted. Guess I'll be leaving them in the net in future.

They did make a rule that sacks had to have a "buoy" attached so in the case of it breaking free with a fish inside it could be seen and retrieved. That was after the Army fish was found dead in a sack floating around the lake.

So if sacks have been totally banned then there is still a problem.

I've retrieved rigs and leaders with plastic bait attached, and obviously from Splitters post this has become a major problem. I also think that Grey Tail was found dead tethered to a leader (possibly leadcore not 100%).

The thing with Suffolk Water Park is that it is not a water for "numpties", the fish are not "easy easy" or small, the weed can be a nightmare (especially around Heaven and Hell), the gravel is severe, casts up to and over 100metres are needed to get to the far bank on the golf course side if the fish are hanging around on that bank. Yet with all that it is day ticket, and open to everyone.

true true. grey tail was very old, i have seen a pic of her at about 5 or 6 lbs, taken years and years before i was born!! The park does have some poor fisherman fish it, i have seen and heard of some nightmarish rigs being found or dragged out. sacks have always been a problem on there too, baitboats are also banned off peg13 now, and limitations set on where you can fish on pegs 12 and 13 as some anglers dont use their brain!!!! its true about pressure too, best way to totally avoid pressure is go home if lake is busy!! it never fishes well when its rammed, the fish switch off or retreat into the corner with the baliffs peg as its rarely fished and nobody else can get a bait down there! i have turned up before and there has been one peg free on the whole lake, i have turned round and gone elsewhere as it never fishes well. they have King of the Water park matches down there every so often, most pegs are taken and rarely more than one or two fish get caught all weekend. i do all my fishing down there midweek, mostly short overnighters after work, on a monday or tuesday i will often find only 3 or 4 anglers on at this time of year!

with all these does and donts and u cant fish here or there, do they want anglers too catch?,is the problem the lake?,with the weed, or the angler's?. or the owners?,and after all the losses,trailers and tethered fish does it hold what its reputed too.

your making it sound like marsh farm, where there is so many rules against catching a fish, u might just as well hand over the money and go home which they'd be just as happy with.

sounds to me some lessons there have never been learnt.

with all these does and donts and u cant fish here or there, do they want anglers too catch?,is the problem the lake?,with the weed, or the angler's?. or the owners?,and after all the losses,trailers and tethered fish does it hold what its reputed too.

your making it sound like marsh farm, where there is so many rules against catching a fish, u might just as well hand over the money and go home which they'd be just as happy with.

sounds to me some lessons there have never been learnt.

The problem as I nicely put in an earlier post

is The thing with Suffolk Water Park is that it is not a water for "numpties", the fish are not "easy easy" or small, the weed can be a nightmare (especially around Heaven and Hell), the gravel is severe, casts up to and over 100metres are needed to get to the far bank on the golf course side if the fish are hanging around on that bank. Yet with all that it is day ticket, and open to everyone.

That includes people who have no idea of the actual difficulties on fishing such a lake, people who haven't fished anywhere else (there isn't much else in the area to be fair) and people who simply don't know or care.

I've retrieved leaders and rigs that would never allow a fish to get rid of the leader, the hook or the lead. and in that weed, it would be a tethered fish, so a leader ban would be sensible.

There are no major areas you can't fish to, Peg 1, don't cast beyond the lilies, pretty obvious that, trying to pull a fish back through that lot would or could cause a mouthy mess, and no casting beyond halfway in the road and road side of the point swims to reduce anglers getting into each others area.

No Bait Boats from Peg13 (?), I think I know why if it is the end of the point; very heavily weeded, yet at long range out (120+) in front is a rather nice gravel plateau that boats were being used to drop baits. Try to play a fish back through that lot and again, a mess.

Suffolk Water Park definitely holds what it is reputed to, a number of 30lb fish, a few doubles and a number of 20's. I spent enough time walking around and fishing it.

They won't remove the weed, it is what makes the lake so rich in food, absolutely full of snails and other creatures.

Trevor wanted to be a lot stricter in rules, but some forces above him were only out to make a little bit of coin. Trevor has now left, and Simon too, and rules are being put in to ensure the protection of the fish.

The rules are being put in to protect the stocks, and for once to hell with the anglers. If they lose fish, they lose anglers, but at the same time, if they lose the idiots from being more protective with tighter rules, then good!

If you think that if a 20lb Carp dies, it would cost around £500 to replace it, double that cost for a 30! So for a fishery to lose approximately 5 fish over the past few years, its over £1500 to replace stocks. Does anyone or any business have that sort of money to put in new stock?

Add to that you can only stock at specific times of the year, and the fact that a stocked fish may have been put under stress and die itself, or if moved from elsewhere may actually bring in something else disease wise that could wipe out the whole fishery.

Yes I know that SWP have the means to move fish from lake to lake (and the Section 30's) as they are a registered fish farm and have their own stock ponds.

Looking at the website, allowing for the change the rules aren't that restrictive:

At the Water Park, we like to have as few rules as possible. However, for the well-being of our fish and the enjoyment of everyone, please take note of the following:

GeneralNo dogs allowed on site at any time.

Any person who wishes to visit an angler must have permission from a bailiff.

Carp FishingUnhooking mats compulsory.

No fixed leads.

Must not leave rods unattended.

Microbarbed hooks only.

Fishing from numbered pegs only.

Only fish from one swim at a time.

No open fires (portable bbq's acceptable)

No litter.

No visitors allowed without prior permission.

Parking in designated areas only.

dont let me put you off and dont think i have a downer on the place, i love fishing there, its a great lake and the baliffs are friendly and helpful. there are a few inexperienced anglers that fish it but its not the easiest lake and most of them struggle. it has a high percentage of fish over 20(even though a few low doubles were reported to have come up the pipe from other lake when it flooded, if you hook a fish its more likely to be over 20 than under). there are more than 20 named fish that go over 30 and obviously carrot the 27lb koi. some of the fish are stunners, Immaculate common and Match lake Mirror are my two faves. its a great lake that takes a bit of thinking about and effort, it is the best fishery in suffolk by some distance!

Baitboats were banned on several pegs for a while as they had problems with some anglers driving their boats 200yrds+ or over other pegs water with no consideration for others, this was only one or two individuals and now it has been sorted and reduced to only peg13 where baitboats are banned because if someone was fishing straight out from the cafe and the chap fishing peg13(the point) drove his boat out a long way it would cause confrontation. i myself saw a guy a few yrs back drive his boat from the flagpole to fish the margins of the swim called Bird Cage which is the stupidest thing i've ever seen because its 200yrds+ easily and involved going through about 5 massive weedbeds!! this sort of behaviour is mostly eradicated down there now!the rules are not at all restrictive and its a fantastic lake!!

i did fish there once, a few yrs ago, and the weed to be honest didnt put me off, im quite used to fishing in weed, heavyier than that is there infact to a greater depth.

if anything put me off, it was the road and rail noise at night especially, i felt quite drained by it and that was just 24 hrs, so maybe not my cup of tea on that point.

while i was there, i fished peg 13, on the oppersite bank,maybe the flag pole,and the little bay beside it?,one angler was bivvyed up, he cast one of his rods in the next pegs area with a bait boat,and went too reitre to his bivvy.

another angler turned up in that next peg unseen by the angler in his bivvy, bivvyed up,markerd up, rods out, then had a run, at which point the other(first) angler also thought he had a run, so both anglers thought they had a run, but not the first angler, his gear was being played by the second angler which the first one couldnt see or realise.

it wasnt until anglers on my stretch/arm of the lake informed both on the otherside of the lake by waving/shouting, that they realised, and the second angler landed his fish,and the first anglers gear.

yes that sort of behaviour did used to happen a few years back, its mostly been stamped out now as each peg has its own designated area to fish to, there is a map in the shop which clearly shows each pegs water, its a big lake so every peg still has plenty of water to go at

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Latest news I have heard is that on the Main Lake, pegs 17-28 have been closed as the fish are spawning in the area.

For anyone who doesn't know the lake, I think that these pegs are the first pegs on the road side of the point (as opposed to the golf course side), and also the pegs at the far end of the road bank.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Notice on FB today 16th February:

Waterpark Suffolk

NOTICE FOR MATCH AND TRADITIONAL LAKES:

The Match Lakes and Traditional Lakes are closed today due to flooding. Levels may drop tomorrow so please call the shop before you travel to ensure they are open.

THE BIG LAKE IS STILL OPEN AS USUAL.

http://www.suffolkwaterpark.co.uk/

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Nick

Could you take the time please to give YOUR opinion on the different lakes at SWP , it would be much better than any official version .

Ta .

:)

Ok, I'll try, but be warned, I haven't fished it for a few years and the Doughnut or Match lake 3 I haven't fished at all.

You have a breakdown of the Main Specimen lake as above, I would say that still applies.

Match Lakes 1 and 2 are perfect lakes for 'learning' fishing for carp, although I would say that you do NOT need to resort to boilies and the 2 rod route, as it fishes very well to other baits over groundbait, my favourites being luncheon meat peperami and sweetcorn.

In fact I use to catch more fishing them with floaters or the lift float method than anglers fishing boilies on the lake. I outfished a couple of my mates by putting in about 10 balls of groundbait at the start of the day, and then a small ball of groundbait every 10 minutes or so when I recast. If they switch off the sweetcorn as they sometimes do, change to the meat and they will often pick up again. The carp in these lakes do hit into double figures.

If you fish maggots, you can get perched out, but some of them are BIG perch.

The Traditional lake is a lovely water, In fact its name Traditional is right as it is a genuine water full of all species, bream, roach, perch, carp and an occasional pike and maybe a chub or two I reckon. It is no way just a carp water.

It has a major problem though, it is the lake attached to the river by an inlet stream, so when the level is high, the river and lake are joined and fish have been known to come in and out, although its the carp that seem to go out!

Carp and bream get caught over pellets and the dreaded boilies, but since I use the 'back' lakes as relaxation fishing, not as specimen hunt, I'm happy catching anything, even eels, although my son hates them, :wink::lol: