suffolk water park

Thanks Nick .

:)

Have you Nick , or anyone on the forum fished Jacobs Creek please ? - I have heard the weed can make it a real struggle to fish .

Ta

I haven't, but had a mate who has had a very good look around.

It is very weedy, and yes it does make it hard.

He has also looked very closely and despite claims of 30's has not seen any that really look that big. He saw plenty of doubles, maybe a few 20's, but none that really looked 30+.

Bear in mind this was a few years ago when we were debating the cost being justified for the lake!

• 3 weeks later...

No one like getting to a venue to find its a bit tight.! Anglers doubling up in a single swims is never a good sign , yuk yuk yuk, one of the reasons I really venture out to day ticket venue. Sticking to my clubs 2 water a few trip over the water keeps my carping needs at bay,,,

On Thursday Along with my sidekick Stumpy Harris, we're off to the Suffolk Water Park (SWP). we paid this day ticket venue a visit a few weeks back, what we fount was a very decent venue, 30+ swims. well spaced out and plenty of rood both water to fish and swim size, Not to shaw what the fish population is, I'm aware they go to around 40lb, Fish to this size is what your looking for on a day ticket venue, the onsite tackle shop and cafe where a pleasant surprise, there is limited car access to swims,Also a public car park. A Board in tackle shop with who's on the lake and in what swim, Really gives you and insight even before you walk around, on site bailiff was very helpful, I'm shaw I'll be picking is brain a some stage of the trip,

Changing weather over the next few days will possibly make it a bit challenging, daytime temps around 9/ 1 degree throughout out the night, winds from the E to NNE, the swim we fancy will be blowing straight down your throat ,

The biggest challenge for me this trip will be using one of my new baits, deciding to go all out on the new bait or stick to my normal hybrid/active8 combo ?..

If any one reading this, how as fished at this venue, please feel free to add any information

Toftman

A board in the tackle shop showing who is there in what swim? Sorry, I don't understand.....what does this mean?

all the swims are numbered on a board, so you know what swims are taken & which are not. you have to book in and book out when leaving, I just feel this is quite important, this time of year changing weather play a big part of where your going to find fish, knowing what swims are free before, will help your final decision.

So if you move swim....you have to go to the tackle shop to tell them?  :?: not my cup of tea.  :lol: but I appreciate if it is liable to getting busy, it probably saves a few punch ups!

I'm pretty Shaw a quick phone call to the bailiffs, a move could be quickly arranged ,job done !!!  how many day ticket venues with good fish don't get busy, take the richworth linier in oxford always busy always a struggle to find swims that suit your need,

ill keep this topic open  as a fish this venue over the next few month,

Tight lines  

Not quite sure what you are asking mate but as regards bait I always tell people that there is a whole world out there beyond boilies if you use your imagination  :wink:

Welcome to the forum MrToftman, 

if you haven't already have a look in the suffolk waters thread of the venues section there is a fair bit of info about SWP on there, there is a regular on here that I'm sure will add to this thread soon that can probably give you all the info you are after.

The big lake at SWP is not my kind of place but there are defiantly some good fish to go after, i think you are pretty much garanteed every fish in there is over 20lb with a number of 30's to target and it does have everything you could want at a day ticket lake. It can get busy but as you say they have a system (the board) which can make this more manageable. the food in the cafe is spot on! and they even deliver it to your swim, i think it can be arranged for your gear to be dropped to your swim on their John Deer  :)

I hope you have a good time when you go!

Theobeeus my comment on bait was more a  question to myself, my freezer is full of my new bait just gaging to be used, I should have made this thread in the my blog section, so ill apologies for not looking closer at the forum for info on SWP. After a visit to the venue recently Cell seems to be a popular choice, the closest bait I have to Cell is a mixed bag hybrid&Active8 so I have to  considered this approach, I'm quite aware there are endless baits that could be used,My bait bag will hold a few items, not knowing if there are any bait restrictions a good bollie as to be considered .Thanks for the input fellow, have you fished SWP much ?,,was your comment a suggestion to use something other than bollie ?

Nealjt  thanks for the welcome & for the Heads up that there is a section on SWP, ill need to pay more attention,,,, I'm looking forward to fishing the venue,  any good info is very welcome, going up on Thursday morning Just a shame the weather as  changed,

Suffolk Water Park gets very busy at times, and even with the board showing captures and weights, and anglers wanting to move swims, you really have to be fast if you change swims. You also get anglers queuing up behind you if they want to fish the swim and you show you are leaving!

http://www.suffolkwaterpark.co.uk/big-lake-catch-report

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Im looking to go down there soon as a friend wants to do a night with me. I havent fished it but had a quick walk around. Can anyone provide any useful info or tips?

I saw they have a rule of not particle bait or corn, Now i dont really want to go for an all boilie approach so does anyone have suggestions what i can put in a spod mix? I have ground bait and vitalin but i want something they can grub at....also no nuts! Thanks guys!

The all boilie approach may not be such a bad thing as there are so many small silvers getting onto particles and groundbait, and the swans love them too, cleaning up spod spill in the margins, even raiding open buckets in open bivvies ( even when angler present).

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

As said earlier, the fishing can be patchy, you can be blanking, then the fish just turn up. You are limited to the swim you set up in, you are not supposed to move swim, which puts a downer on getting onto them, making an already difficult lake even harder.

It may be supposedly a good lake, but sorry for an overnight session, would be my limit, as I can't justify the money on day tickets. In fact 9 nights would cost the same as my whole season on my lakes!

The Traditional has a number of fish, location can be the key, regular ground baiting, keep feeding, pellets or groundbait, constant recasting on one rod to try to find the fish.

• 3 weeks later...

Aware this is an old thread however feel my history with the place will be of use to some... I learnt to fish on the canal when my grandad Trev was a bailiff, in that time I have fished every lake at the water park...

Jacobs Creek: personally I've not done very well on the lake, it is extremely weedy and the fish appear to switch off for periods of time. The huts are nice but the train track is literally 30-50 metres from you which can be loud at night.

Main lake: I've fished this so so many times, had dozens of nice pike (max 19lb), nice tench and even big bream however my time is focused on the carp... I've had 2 30's out of the big lake my biggest being 34lb 4Oz however I am focusing on carrot as my all out target! I tend to fish peg 6, 9, 14, 22, 28a, the car park swims BUT my favourite swim is 31... Fished to the right 80yards is an area which just works every time!

Trad: my personal favourite for an enjoyable 24HR session, out of the way and some pretty fish.. I fish bobs where the carp tend to shoal up or the opposite end of the point swim 5 yards off the island is a natural water spring which can produce!

M1: Mid summer all thats needed is one rod and some floaters however I fish one rod close in the margin and one 15 yards out when doing nights, confined to a choice of 3 or so swims in the trees.. Good fun for an overnight however I have had to bring my rods in twice as it was constant and had work the next day.

M2; not much to say produced some nice fish and good fun but not a go too lake.

M3(donut): nice for crucian and relaxed angling but like M2 makes more sense to fish M1 or trad

Canal: haven't fished this since my grandad bailiffed the Waterpark... The. There was some good fishing from one rod in the float with maggots

All in all I only fish the speci, trad and m1 now all just using Nutcracker 12mm boilees with stick mix and 4mm pellets in a mesh bag normally..

Hope it helps and will say the park is very rewarding given a chance but also please be courteous to others... Im not antisocial however when on the bank that's the rare time I get to myself and I like the waters edge calm and quiet so don't feel the need to charge in etc.

Now i know where all the king prawn boilies keep going! :)

In response to ManiacJoe29's post, I dug out this catch report link:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/21126-may-catch-reports/page-4?hl=%2Bsuffolk+%2Bwater+%2Bpark#entry256925

When fishing the match lakes, as he said, I do tend to go one rod, and avoid boilies. I think pellets, groundbait, hemp and sweetcorn work better and produce a lot more fish.

Fish luncheon meat, peperami or sweetcorn on the hook, changing bait if the fish switch off.

For the Traditional, I fish more over pellets, with a more boilie and pellet approach.

The main problem on all the lakes when floater fishing is no freebies. This rule is put in place to protect the ducks and swans who can come in and get tangled up, so it's fair enough.

• 1 month later...