Hooklink material advice

tancho321

And you lot objected to the use of braid, beam me up Scotty.

Only using a mainline braid as a hooklink material, although do be careful with some of Drennan's fine hooklink braids as they are very fine and abrasive for their breaking strain vs diameter, being Kevlar or Dyneema impregnated.

Nick, on your objection  to my mainline braid, I took these critiscisms on board , I purchased N trap and Pallatrax, and what did I find, they were actually lower diameter than my mainline Fox Gravitron, what is the point of the objectors, the point in contact with the mouth of the fish is the hooklength.

It's the additional materials in the mainline braid that can be the damaging factor, be it Dyneema or the Kevlar.

However some in lower breaking strains can be damaging, hence why we often use say 25lb as opposed to 12 or 15, as is our mainline, the lower breaking strain diameter is fine enough to cut like a cheese wire. In other words, we need to check every material we use not just follow fashion and mag articles.

Kevlar and Dyneema reduce friction , I do not understand how these can be more dangerous, the diameters of the hooklink braid is much lower than my mainline braid , puzzled suspecting hypocrisy.

Don't forget that Kevlar and Dyneema are used in making bulletproof vests.

It is down to the formation of the braid, whether rounded, squared, or even coated as some braids are (even mainline braids). If you use a 3 form braided material, it is smoother and less rough than a 4 form braid. The 4 form being rougher is more cutting and despite being supposedly more friction free, even so can cut. In fact, a miscast with braid under tension can cut fingers all the way to the bone. I can rub my fingers along a length of tension free braid, but add tension, or braid under stress as in casting, and it does not just flow smoothly over the skin!

• 2 weeks later...

I use suffix coated braids, cheap,quality,NEVER let me down,pointless paying silly money for Korda, you can get 3 spools of suffix kameleon for price of 1 n-trap

Superb post Philip .

Lets hope nobody else starts to use it and it'll stay cheap .

I noticed in the tackle shop the other day that most terminal tackle is ROUGHLY the same price bracket though , of course , some are a bit dearer than others :)

But its amazing how cheap the suffix hooklink materials are compared to just about every other brand .

They cover just about every need , and i feel people are missing out by not at least trying it .

Superb post Philip .

I noticed in the tackle shop the other day that most terminal tackle is ROUGHLY the same price bracket though , of course , some are a bit dearer than others :)

But its amazing how cheap the suffix hooklink materials are compared to just about every other brand .

They cover just about every need , and i feel people are missing out by not at least trying it .

I've always used it,ever since I bought my first spool off eBay, just refuse to pay for name and packaging,same for hooks, I found 25 hooks size 8 longshank inturned eye for £1.99. Think they were owner or prologic,cracking little hooks, half the price of ace or anyone else, they didn't come in fancy little box,just clear little bag,they do the job nicely

Superb post Philip .

Bought 3 spools last week for the the price of 1 korda n trap ,going to stick with suffix now.

Where are you buying these from guys? On ebay they look to be around the same sort of price as n-trap?

I bought the stiff silt and was far too wirey, can you advise on their best hooklinks where the coating is stiff but still supple? Thats why i use N-Trap semi-stiff, yes its overpriced but the coating is perfect for so many rigs i find, i dont want a coating that is rigid.

thanks,

Yeh mate the Bay .

Most i've ever paid was £5.99 and i think that was for a stiff mono but the braids are as above .

I just had a butchers and there are bundles of different braids and mono ranging between £2 and £4 ....

Edited by newmarket