Chub...

salokcinnodrog

On 01/07/2019 at 14:28, salokcinnodrog said:

I took some persuading with the heat, Big Dave convinced me, so I was back on the chub hunt yesterday evening, my basic favourite method of a freelined dog biscuit.

We walked along the river with the dog, one rod between us, taking turns at the fish.

In the first swim he had one chub from a brick wall above the river which I had to climb down to net, I reckon around 2lb, just a quick photo in the net.

We walked the whole stretch, looking for fish,  casting in a few swims and then back to the car. I spotted a few fish, but had to do a bit of jungle stalking, climbing through brambles and nettles, opposite 'nice lady's' house, and as I did Dave realised we had left a baiting needle downstream on a bend and went to get it with Sky, so I rerigged with a Uni-knot holding a big Bakers Meaty chunk on the size 8 hook on 5lb Reflo hooklink tied to 6lb mainline. A cast to work out the current, then another to get the biscuit in the right flow, result was a good chub.

As he came back I heard him talking to Sky, telling her I would probably be waiting with a fish in the net, which "knowing Nick is the biggest around". I needed his  help to take the rod while I lifted net and fish over the bankside snags. When we weighed the fish it was a healthy 5lb.

I've not seen a chub that big from the Gipping for a few years!

image.jpeg

It's good to see you with a big smile on your face , Nick , why it's almost a Smufter goofy grin .

😁

On 3 July 2019 at 23:53, Dannygooner said:

@salokcinnodrog many good perch on the gipping mate?

Around the chub shoals the biggest I have seen is maybe 12ozs, but I reckon in some of the deeper weirpools and bridge flows there are some better fish.

I was watching some of the winter match weights last season, the perch weights from the Bramford and Sproughton areas didn't show many big fish.

On 6 July 2019 at 00:45, Dannygooner said:

I saw two small barbel today in amongst some dace. Couldn’t believe it as they arnt caught often from what I can see. In about a foot of water on a gravely fast run. I did read that a few thousand were introduced but I’ve only found one reported catch online. Very near to where I saw these two small ones funny enough

I know that around a few of the mills when FMS had some of the bank rights there were some barbel caught, but FMS members kept their catches very tight lipped.

2 hours ago, Dannygooner said:

nice work mate. What better a way to spend an afternoon than walk a small English riverway catching a few chevin. 

Sky enjoys it, she gets a walk along the river, we take one rod and net between us and take turns for fish, often one feeding and smuggling Sky the occasional floater, the other casting for the fish. The other can then do the netting if required.

Dave's fish came on a new spot we'd not seen chub in before last trip, and was a positive take on his first cast, that fish was actively looking for biscuits. Mine came from over the gravel behind my shoulder, the largest of the shoal as well.