Shortening The Hair

mrdevon

Guest Nhawkeye

Simply whip the hair around the shank of the hook two, or three times. Also, to aid with "blow back" function, and to ensure hookholds at the centre of the bottom lip, place a small piece of silicone tubing on the bend of the hook.

if you shorten the hair, then change your bait later you may find your kicking yourself.

i tie 3 or 4 rigs with hairs of different lengths, one to accommodate corn or a single boilie up to a long hair that will take a double 20mm boilie.

then all you have to do is snap on a different hook link.

any how it only takes half a shake to make one up on the bank to exactly suit what you are doing at that particular time,

and if your a tightwad like me you can break it down again and save the hook (after sharpening) and any rings, swivels or putty for another day :lol:

oh BTW ad of the day is for Barbie Mega Blocks????? go figure :confused:

Edited by cyborx

Bscally you cant shorten the hair if you tie your rigs knotless knot style .

Of course if you tie your hooks on with a palomar knot or similar then you can attach whatever hair you like to the hook eye .

Just make sure you have a selection of different lengths already tied up :wink:

Is there a simple way to shorten the hair once the rig is tied other than the obvious of tying a new rig or doing in the right length to start with?

Sorry, you get the same easily copied pics I use on a couple of threads:

I use the same hook arrangement with a coated braid and a combi rig, although the only difference between the two is the choice of coated braid or combi:

SlidingPop-up.jpg

SlidingRevolvingHairrig.jpg

These rigs can be used for snowman, pop-up or bottom baits with little change.

The hair length on a pop-up is shortened, in fact the bait is tied in a loop and then attached to the rig ring tight to the hook shank. I then use the knot on the combi-rig or the end of the stripped section to attach putty to for the pop-up height.

With the snowman I put the bait in the loop and then tie the hair at the length I think is right, so that the bottom bait of the two will be on the hair.

As for a plain bog standard bottom bait, the hair is tied on with a standard loop and then hair stop is used to hold it in place.

The advantage of the rig ring is that I can change the hair length to suit my fishing, rather than break it all down to change it.