holiday dilema

how hard is it to try and combine decent fishing and family time. every year I spend countless hours looking for some where I can take the wife and my son (twelve now) away. . sometimes its just us for a long weekend and sometimes it with my mate, wife and 2 kids. we have had 4 bed cottages and its brilliant or on our own a 2 bed lodge is superb. but we usually have to compromise on the fishing, muddy puddles or long treks from the accommodation meaning its not a family break.

last year did a week in devon with the two families. good accommodation layout .ground floor bedrooms . 1st floor kitchen diner lounge and 2nd floor bedrooms. nice .fishing was 3 small pastie lakes. 2 days in we were bored. speaking to the owner he put us onto a former fish farm a mile down the road where he had a special arrangement for a small charge . had a few nice fish in a couple of days fishing and each were a challenge. was virtually unfished . would love to live nearer to see if the stock was really in there (20 fish to 30lb with mostly koi cross or ghostie).saved the week fishing wise.

last year did 3 days in a brand new lodge on the lakeside (wife and son).fish to mid 30s in 5 acres with 4 lodges in total. local shops and pubs 5 min walk. also nice and managed 3 fish 15, 20 and 22lb. this was good family time also.

now this is the point.

1, I cant make up my mind how I feel about the lake lodge fishing. is it too manufactured or not ?

anyone done similar

Lake lodge fishing may be manufactured, but the fact that you also get to spend good time with the family is an acceptable compromise to me.

I love to 'natural' waters (for want of a better expression). But I'm happy to compromise that and fish pretty much anywhere if I can combine it with quality family time.

how hard is it to try and combine decent fishing and family time. every year I spend countless hours looking for some where I can take the wife and my son (twelve now) away. . sometimes its just us for a long weekend and sometimes it with my mate, wife and 2 kids. we have had 4 bed cottages and its brilliant or on our own a 2 bed lodge is superb. but we usually have to compromise on the fishing, muddy puddles or long treks from the accommodation meaning its not a family break.

last year did a week in devon with the two families. good accommodation layout .ground floor bedrooms . 1st floor kitchen diner lounge and 2nd floor bedrooms. nice .fishing was 3 small pastie lakes. 2 days in we were bored. speaking to the owner he put us onto a former fish farm a mile down the road where he had a special arrangement for a small charge . had a few nice fish in a couple of days fishing and each were a challenge. was virtually unfished . would love to live nearer to see if the stock was really in there (20 fish to 30lb with mostly koi cross or ghostie).saved the week fishing wise.

last year did 3 days in a brand new lodge on the lakeside (wife and son).fish to mid 30s in 5 acres with 4 lodges in total. local shops and pubs 5 min walk. also nice and managed 3 fish 15, 20 and 22lb. this was good family time also.

now this is the point.

1, I cant make up my mind how I feel about the lake lodge fishing. is it too manufactured or not ?

anyone done similar

Hello Keith :)

Maybe a compromise of a weeks holiday none fishing then a week for yourself on a nice lake somewhere ?

I personally couldn't do a fishing holiday with the family.... They'd never see me :oops::lol:

Still our socials are like mini-breaks anyway :shock::shock::lol:

Have you tried somewhere like anglers paradise

I stayed at rookley country park on the I O W few years back in chalet 6 the pond was just the other side of the patio door so was great to do stuff in the day and still do a bit of fishing in the evening, the specimen lake is 1min walk away but that had to be booked I did 3 nights on there but only managed to lose 1 stalking, the misses stayed in the chalet but spent the evenings drinking wine with me

Both lakes are small but well looked after and some stunners in specimen lake

I enjoyed the week and was able to combine fishing and time with misses

Swimming pool and other stuff for your son to do aswell

like to vary my holidays. try to give the wife a couple of fish free weeks in the sun, get some time away on my own and some with them combined with fishing.

thanks mick seen a video on rookley somewhere and it looked ok apart from i think they allow day tickets on there for non staying guests. nice to go out in the day sometimes and know you can get a swim without a long trek for an evening session. for this reason puts me off anglers paradise also