i know there not carp but wondered if anyone had any tips aand pointers as never fish outright for these species a local sydnicate im joining beggining of next year has a good head of carp and a huge head of wells catfish up to 58lb was wondering if my 3.25 test lb rod and 18lb daiwa sensor line wouldd be sufficent i have no idea on rigs or anything any help would be gratefully appreciated

i know there not carp but wondered if anyone had any tips aand pointers as never fish outright for these species a local sydnicate im joining beggining of next year has a good head of carp and a huge head of wells catfish up to 58lb was wondering if my 3.25 test lb rod and 18lb daiwa sensor line wouldd be sufficent i have no idea on rigs or anything any help would be gratefully appreciated

Hi, Your rods are more than man enough.

They have a habit of wareing through the hook link with there sandpaper like mouth pads.

If I was fishing a lake with a few, I would be using long hooklinks made of very strong and super smooth polished braid, there a a few of them about.

They love fishy boilies and pellets, but will get hooked on just about anything including sweet corn.

Hi, Your rods are more than man enough.

They have a habit of wareing through the hook link with there sandpaper like mouth pads.

If I was fishing a lake with a few, I would be using long hooklinks made of very strong and super smooth polished braid, there a a few of them about.

They love fishy boilies and pellets, but will get hooked on just about anything including sweet corn.

Terry, as Frank has stated, your rods will cope just fine and Sensor is known to break well above it's stated breaking strain so as regards tackle you're all good.

While I've never caught a cat in the UK, I've had several from Rushes Lake in France. I found wide-gape, large hooks to be the answer with Sufix Black smooth-coated braid as the hooklink.

The Rushes cats had a preference for 24mm halibut pellets on a longish hair.

Oh. Double check your knots and, if you can, fish in or on the edge of silty areas.

Ian

brilliant thank you all so much thats really helped and cleared a lot up only thing im stuck on now is rigs iv heard a lot of talk on popped up bait etc would it be sufficent to use a abrasive resistant hooklink to a specific cat hook and a long hair with maybe seafish ie mackeral or something seen a good tip of using a section of line with a button on the bottom threqading it through the bait then tying it on the hook and using a bit of elastic band onto the hook to stop it sliding off

Havnt been cat fishing for years but we caught useing, Live baits on dumb bell rigs wen its muggy and mild. Wen its cooler maybe dyson rig. If pike are an issue useing live bait fish maybe leeches or worms be worth ago. Both can be presented well on dumbell and dyson rig. Mackeral and sardienes are good dead baits just ledgerd over a bed of halibuts and liquadised liver mixed with halibut ground bait and chunks of dead fish deadly.

If you want to to specifically catch cats dont dismiss the live and dead bait approach even if there pike present. Yea you are likely to catch odd pike and yes cats will eat anythin but imo live baits and oily deads will outfish boilies and most other bait hands down. That said lunchoin meat takes some beating. People who saying deads and lives are no go when there pike present are talking rubbish to be honest because i almost garantee they will up your catch rate for cats weather there pike present or not, cats are at there most active when pike are at there least active anyway!

Dont worry about your gear, its perfect. Super Nova is a brilliant braid for hooklengths as it is very abrasion resistant.

Try half or a whole mackerel, massive bunch of worms, 1/2 tin of luncheon meat as baits. Hook sizes to suit, dont be affraid of a big single hook :wink:

http://www.catfish-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Hooks.html

I think links are allowed

• 5 years later...