Which Mono/fluro hooklink?

serbusfish

I have used ESP "Soft Ghost" but more recently "Berkley Trilene".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERKLEY-TRILENE-FLUOROCARBON-CLEAR-ALL-SIZES-STRAINS-/330577851123?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Fishing_Line_JN&var=540037905011&hash=item4cf7f9b2f3

I think I actually prefer the Berkley as it knots a little better. I use it in 12lb and have had no problems with it whatsoever, landing my pb (25lb 11oz) on it a couple of weeks ago.

Both are clear.

I have also heard good things about Seaguar Fluoro but haven't personally used it as yet.

Hope that helps.

Rob

For Carp fishing I use a few nylon hooklink materials.

15lb clear Amnesia.

7lb Berkeley Trilene XL

12lb Drennan Sub Surface Fly Leader in green or brown

These hooklink materials are the ones I use for surface fishing and bottom fishing on the occasions I am happy to use a nylon hooklink (which on day sessions I often do).

The Amnesia will take a Rapala loopknot at the mainline end, and a 3 turn blood knot.

The Drennan and Berkeley I tend to use a knotless knot to tie the hook on, and then my standard Uni knot at the swivel end mainline join.

I like the look of Korda IQ actually, it seems compared to IQ2 the regular IQ is stiffer to prevent tangles so might get some of that, but what breaking strain? I use Daiwa Sensor 12lb as my main line.

i used to use iq but changed to iq2 this year and have to say my catch rate has improved and the hookholds are better, never had problems with iq2 tangling either.

mufty

I like the look of Korda IQ actually, it seems compared to IQ2 the regular IQ is stiffer to prevent tangles so might get some of that, but what breaking strain? I use Daiwa Sensor 12lb as my main line.

i used to use iq but changed to iq2 this year and have to say my catch rate has improved and the hookholds are better, never had problems with iq2 tangling either.

mufty

I think i'll go for the IQ2 then, would 12lb be enough or should I opt for 15lb?

mufty

I think i'll go for the IQ2 then, would 12lb be enough or should I opt for 15lb?

i use 12lb and never had a problem, i suppose it depends on the size of fish you fishing for,

mufty

I was going to add to my previous post, but forgot to edit it, what about using your main line as your mono hooklink as well?

It works, it means you aren't buying extra line for the sake of it as well, and is something I have been known to do :wink:

In fact if you get hold of a copy of Tim Paisleys To Catch a Carp, on the rigs chapter a few recommendations from some big names for doing exactly that. It is something that Paddy Webb, Lee Jackson and others often do (or did)

Debated and thought about it, finally decided to moce this into Rig Tying section

i use 12lb and never had a problem, i suppose it depends on the size of fish you fishing for,

mufty

The fish in my area go to around the 22lb mark I believe perhaps 25lb. Not that I can catch them :roll:

i would say that unless your snag fishing then 12lb would be fine, also i have found that one certain hook works great with the iq2 and that is the solar wide gape x, my catch to run ratio has improved so much since i used this combo.

mufty