effective rigs

mark_88

hi

just getting back into after a good few years break, not having much luck this year with only one fished landed (surface fishing) done 1 24 hour and 3 12 hour sessions just using standard hair rigs using cell and the odd pop up (northern specials pop up). now im thinking my rigs are not as effective as they could be, as other people are catching on the pool and im not, which has got my thinking it must be down to my rigs. I will try to upload a picture later to see if i am going wrong, usually consist of 20lb braid hooklink with long shank size 8 korda hook tied with a standard knotless knot. i did try my first session with a adjustable zig rig but had no luck think i need a few sessions with this rig to get use to it

Been looking at the KD rig today looks like a very good rig with such an aggressive angle of the hook, what's everyone favorite rig for a good catch ratio

thanks lads :D

Another fan of basic rigs , i feel we will all go through times where we start to question if our rigs are working and look for something different

truth is you will not always be on the fish ,

If you feel your rig is being picked up and dumped then that is different ,

a pinch of putty a few inches from the hook can be a simple but effective change and of course a sharp hook is critical .

Of course hook pattern is another huge factor i have never liked the long shank hooks and favour the wide gape . Might be worth having different rigs on each rod ( slight changes ) see if something starts working . Good luck.

Thanks for your help lads

I forgot to mention i am using putty, i started fishing again late last year done a few over nighters and caught fish so was feeling confident but then this year has been crap blank after blank after blank but i suppose thats part of fishing I understand that im not going to catch every session and I do like getting on the bank like most do but i do also like to catch! altho u maybe right about me not being on the fish, or maybe i am not baiting up my swims enough i typical day session i will use a kilo of boilies over 2 swims - large pva bags on cast and a good few handfuls thrown around each swim and the 3rd i fish margins with a bucket mix of hemp sweetcorn cat meat and lunchen meat and feed little and often throughout the day, maybe i need to look down the spod route! im defo not an expert carper tho and would like some feedback on my rigs from experienced carpers because you can only learn from your mistakes! ive just found my rigs out the shed i fished with sat, where am i going wrong?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/photo1gof.jpg/

1st rig - double boilie bottom bait

2nd rig - single boilie bottom bait

3rd rig - pop up rig

The little piece i just use to pull the bait closer to the bend of the hook, if i use multipal baits ill attach some bait floss to the loop and pull through the top bait, my pop ups are a little different. What bottom are you fishing over?

Should be ok with the length your using, i try to stick to three slightly different presentations, pop up, bottom and balanced. The bottom i like fairly close to the hook, the pop up i like really close to the hook and the balanced i have a bit of separation between the hook and bait.

To me your rigs look like they need a bit of fine tuning look at Gary's it just looks neater , not sure what difference it would make but your hair loop looks huge .

yes i was thinking that top part looks very messy compared to Gary's, I think i need to have a sit down for a few hours and fine tune them like u said

thanks mate

As most people have said , try & keep it simple . Maybe its just as simple as shortening or lengthening your hooklinks. Same with the hairs .

Theres a superb thread on here somewhere entitled "complicated rigs" i should check it out if i was you mate