Hair length and pre-tied rigs

tancho321

I tend to fish short hairs with a couple of mms between the hook and the bait

And yes i do tie rigs up b4 i get to the bank i have normal hair rigs blow back rigs kd rigs snowman rigs chod rigs the reason for this is for variety if 1 of them dont work for you if you put your hooklinks on quick change links you can just swap around untill you start getting takes

the biggest bearing on hooklegnth will be a couple of things, the size of hook you are using and the size of hookbait you are using in my opinion

i have done quite well on small baits with long hairs and size 6 hooks in the past, especially on cold winter days when all my friends have struggled for bites.

mufty :)

I like to use short(ish) hairs about 5mm seperation with the hair coming off the bend

Personally I think this a good starting point as you can always make it longer with some hair extenders if the situation dictates.

I tend to have two type pre tied - normal bottom bait with hair coming off the shank and KD style for use with pop up/wafters - this covers 99% of my fishing situations

Thanks for the replies all. Interesting to see everyone's different opinions on the subject. My preference has always been a shorted separation but am beginning to think I may need to lengthen it slightly. As a relative newbie I have always been concerned as to having a long hair and it being too long for a Carp's mouth - daft I know as the mouth is huge but was always slightly neurotic about it. Just part of the learning curve I guess :oops: