Hook Patterns You Trust

blanksalot

Have you all found the holy grail of hooks, one that you'll keep buying over and over and stockpile incase they stop making them :lol:

For the forseable future i'll be sticking to fang twisters for my boilie rigs and on the odd occasions i fish smaller baits esp raptors T-6's.

It's not that i've lost any fish on other types i've used but these just fill me with confidence that on the rare occasion i get a take , it'll end up in the net :P

So what does everone put their trust in?

jay

Gardner covert mugga and esp :wink:

Phil im using the esp curve shank and i am thinking of moving over the the mugga's, they look like they have a slightly wider gape, whats your opinion :)

The mugga are a wider gape than the esp hooks I've used Gary and I really like the curve to the mugga the line comes off the eye at a very nice angle in my opinion, and they sharpen nicely when needed. 8)

Gardner covert mugga and esp :wink:

Phil im using the esp curve shank and i am thinking of moving over the the mugga's, they look like they have a slightly wider gape, whats your opinion :)

The mugga are a wider gape than the esp hooks I've used Gary and I really like the curve to the mugga the line comes off the eye at a very nice angle in my opinion, and they sharpen nicely when needed. 8)

Cool ill have a proper look this week thanks mate :)

I used to have great faith in Carp-R-Us Centurions and Nailers, but found them difficult to get hold of. I used to use ESP hooks, and again, one hook landed plenty of fish with no resharpening, including fish to over 26lb, but after a "dispute" (over Leadcore of all things) with a well known angler and his views and what he wrote in a magazine, I started boycotting ESP products.

I started using Covert Muggas over a year ago, and have yet to lose a fish on them (although I have lost fish in that time on other patterns).

In that time I have landed a lot of fish, to over 30lb at ranges from the margins up to 100metres, so I have played fish under plenty of pressure.

I don't worry about sharpening hooks, I test them out the packet, and if they are sharp enough they get used.

So you were prepared to lose fish

In a sense, (something you had confidence in) because someone from ESP who used leadcore didn't agree with what you were saying ? That's abit silly if you ask me

Not quite.

I already had confidence in Carp-R-Us patterns, always had some in the tackle box, but also had some ESP patterns. Then when this article was published and accused me of being an armchair angler with nothing better to do than "argue" over something as trivial as leadcore, and not actually fishing, in fact the response almost totally avoided the actual opinion about leadcore, I decided to boycott ESP.

Please also note, this was not the Keith Moors "Against Leadcore" piece, but the other anglers response.

For UK work - ESP stiff riggers for Hinged stiff rigs (pop up work) and Gardener Muggas for combi rigs (bottom baits).

For abroad I have never had a Nash fang x (size 1 or 2) open up on me and I have complete faith in them for just about any size of fish. But the shiny appearance puts me off a bit. I've just got hold of the new Mugga continentals which seem to be the perfect hook pattern. I'm looking forwards to testing them against some big fish soon.

I've also used Lockey's stronghold longshanks for some very big fish. I've only had one open on me and I was playing the fish way too hard and it was over 200lbs.