Bluebell complex

I'm off to Bluebell for 48 hours next week, been researching online and have a few questions, hopefully none too stupid...

I can't find a map of the complex that tells me which lake is which.

I've pieced some info together, can anyone confirm/refute this:

bluebell-map.jpg

1 = Kingfisher?

2 = Bluebell?

3 = Swann?

4 = Sandmartin?

5 = Mallard?

6 = Wood Pool

I'm going with 2 others, varying skill/experience between the three of us, we're all after catching something though, I'll be happy with half a dozen bites over 48hrs if I can hook into a "20" (I've never had a UK 20), so we're thinking either Bluebell, Mallard or Sandmartin (decision to be made nearer the time after speaking with Tony at Bluebell). Are these lakes all similar in depths/bottom makeup?

I've read several articles that talk about hard clay/gravel and deep water, but all the lakes look to be lined by mature trees, so I'd be expecting to find lovely soft silt (I'd take soft silt over hard gravel any day!), esp on the lake I think is Bluebell (lake 2 in the pic).

Are these lakes the kind of waters where it's worth spending 2+ hours with the marker finding some spots, or is that just going to be time wasting looking for things that aren't there?

Matt,

The map and lakes you have marked up are correct (well thats how i remember them). Would reccommend you markering and having a feel about as its a first time visit...!! And its not easy going on this complex, one take would be good for a 48 hour session if i'm honest but there might be people out the who dis-agree....!!

And its not easy going on this complex, one take would be good for a 48 hour session if i'm honest but there might be people out the who dis-agree....!!

I've been told that it's easier than that (except Swan and Kingfisher) and to expect some action (in the region of 5-8 bites per 24 hours) if you get it reasonably 'right'. While I'm not expecting Drayton levels of action, or even Barston levels, we're hoping to get a few bites...

When deciding on venues we considered Linear, but thought not after hearing loads of reports of thefts and trouble (which I appreciate may not be entirely accurate). We also considered Sandhusrt at Yately (this was my choice venue as the allure of fishing Yately is compelling) but probably too hard for the other guys, realistically probably too hard for me too...

So we settled on Bluebell as a good compromise...

Let us know how you get on matt, I fished kingfisher last year and no one on the lake had a take or fish for 4 days plus only a few pegs free so pressure was high. But when walking around the other lakes there where people catching, nothing to talk about but they were catching. I suppose it's all about what you want out of the session. Good luck mate and let us know how you get on..... :D

I have fond memories of Bluebell lake. My PB tench & bream came from there, along with two 20+ carp. All in a 48hr session. Plus the fact that it is a beautiful place to be.

I really must get back there sometime.

My PB tench & bream came from there, along with two 20+ carp. All in a 48hr session. Plus the fact that it is a beautiful place to be.

If I can manage 48 hours like that I'll be one very happy camper :lol::lol:

More luck than judgement. I picked a spot, put out about 4 kilo of boilies (followed by my two rods) then sat back all weekend. It was years ago, long before i knew about marker rods or such.

Very little skill, very lucky.

I fish there almost every week. Past month I've managed a 48h & 24h on Sandmartin & a 24h on Swan.

To say this place is easy would be completely untrue. When on Sandmartin last week the only person that had anything had been there for a week. I was speaking to a guy that was walking around who had been fishing Sandmartin all year and I was told if I got a bite in 48 hours I'd be doing well and I now know where he is coming from.

The whole complex gets very busy on the weekend but there will be always space but it might not be where the fish are.

This is obviously what I myself have found (maybe poor tactics or poor angling) but I think most would say it's not easy. People have come away with amazing catches and you may too.

I am still drawn to Bluebell as it is a beautiful complex and very well looked after. I may have blanked on three separate sessions but I feel when I do catch the prize will have been worth the wait :D

sandhurst a million times easier than fishing bluebells. if you are hopeing for a few bites then head for the mallard or sandmartin maybe bluebell as these would give you the easier options. be ready for the weed in places and fish tidy as these fish see it all week in week out, that said the rewards are awsome, some stunning fish to be had. The place is immaculately kept and makes for a nice stay.

• 5 months later...

Just to update you on Bluebell... I guess its luck of the draw. Two of us blanked on a 24 hr session... yet the same person i fished with banked a 22lber in a four hour session.

I put a little time into Bluebell last year and didn't have one fish out. I will be trying much harder this year as its only a 20minute drive from my house.

Bluebell is a lovely lake, I've often found them to follow a warm wind, always check the snags at both ends too especially near the Kingfisher bridge when they are cleaning themselves early spring.

The grassy bank after the willows is generally a good area as is the causeway.

Been a very long time since i've fished it though, but I dont expect its changed much. I do still fish the complex a couple of times a year so pass by Bluebell.