your thoughts please

gillcover

I own a lake in France (Genesis) my question is mainly directed to other owners or people in the know , but chip in anyway.

Salt ? the addition of salt in ground baits etc, my concerns are this , An angler go's fishing and see's salt in ground bait is ok . He then chucks in a hand full of salt then nothing happens does he add more and at what level does he stop adding it.Bearing in mind salt is not good for any freshwater species, unless in minimal doses for health reasons .

Remember when peanuts where a good bait and anglers never cooked them , hence bait ban , as with tigers and other beans and pulses etc.

curious I am

Id maybe try and source a more authoratarian position on it Gillcover, but in my opinion, Salt being added to bait has been hyped up allot lately by a certain celebrity who i wont name as normally the mere mention of him or his products turns a thread to pot!!

I dont agree with adding salt to your groundbait/spod mix as like you say im pretty sure its not good for them in any sort of concentrate,, it does disperse into the water i know and theres already a certain level of salt in most stuff, but id like to hear from someone on a proffesional level what the deal is before i even thought about using it.

See you on monday!! :D

Ok so this has got me looking around on google and pretty quickly i came across this from a guy who i have the upmost respect for, hes been fishing for carp and involved in the industry longer than some of us have even been alive,, including me.

Quoting Ken Townley from another forum with a discussion on this..

"I have tried to sit this one out on the sidelines, but there is so much ill-informed guess work and conjecture now being posted that I need to have my say...

Salt if used in excess is extremely dangerous, not just to carp but to all living things. Now it seems that irresponsible over-zealous use of salt is being recommended in some of the the mags; I recently saw a recommendation that a couple of tablespoons full of sea salt be added to each PVA bag...That is shocking.

Yes, carp may need very tiny amounts of salt in their diet at specific times of the year - post spawning and as they wake up with the arrival of spring - but they can obtain all the salt they need from their environment. They most certainly do not need us as angler to chuck tablespoons full into PVA bags.

Very small amounts of sodium salts (MSG for instance) can aid attraction, as they bind to the free aminos in a bait, making them more available and detectable, however, I am talking about 1g/kilo.

I am also concerned - especially on small venues - at the widespread suggestion that large quantities of salt are introduced. If there were, say, a dozen anglers on a two-acre pool, each casting a PVA bag containing an ounce of salt every couple of hours, it would not be long before the dissolved salt completely altered the chemical balance of the water, much to the detriment of the inhabitants..

And before anyone points out that I have myself recommended the use of salt in some of my articles, yes, I have, but not what i would call excessive amounts. That said, were I to write that article again I would not mention salt at all. As I stated earlier in a similar thread, IMHO the whole salt thing is a big red herring. OK! Danny Fairbrass bangs on about it ad nauseam but i wonder how he would feel if everyone started using irresponsible amounts of salt at his French lake?"

I know what I'm doing regarding salt at my lake what I wanted was other peoples opinions and thoughts.

It (as far as Im concerned) is the angler that maybe a bit over the top with his application of salt . Like crazedcarper says " a table spoon of salt in every couple of hours multiplied by a dozen anglers or so the lake /pond life will suffer . We all know where this has basically come from and I believe match anglers have been doing it for a good while. But where does it go from here ,, wait till we get fish deaths , as I said before just like the peanut craze in the 70's and 80's ??

OK i'm bored

Adding salt in the pond especially in the fall will help fish survive the long cold winter months. We recommend adding 1.5 - 2.5 lbs of salt for every 100 gallons of water in the pond. We often add salt in the fall, after taking out floating plants such as water hyacinths and water lettuce

Found this on a koi web site and if correct it means a lake of 100m x100m

and 2m deep =20 million l of water or 4.5 million gallons at 2lb 's of salt for every 100 gallons of water this means you could add over 20'000 lb's

of salt and according to thier recomendations it would still be safe .

I do not suggest you try it :) but that equates to a lot of pva bags

Guest Anonymous

bit harsh mate, he's not providing any info granted but he's saying that he would like to have known before purchasing/running his own lake, im not taking sides remember :)

Guest Anonymous

yeh thats ok john, but i would of thought a lake owner would of known a bit of what baits do what in the water, im not expecting them to no what science goes on one salt is released in the water but just a no how if it does good or bad to the fish and lake i didnt mean to have a dig at anyone :)

small amounts of salt will not do harm in some cases it will do good BUT where does it all go from here , take this for a scenario .Hard fished water anglers every day of the week 50% use salt in the ground baits

no closed season, thats a lot of salt . result eventually , one lake, lots of dead or sick fish, at the very least, fish that will never gain wieght because any food stuff will go right through them and out the other end,and all because someone said salt works .

Hi john,,

Did the koi website say if it was a specific kind of salt, as in specially prepared for that use, or was it just general sea salt/rock salt?

Most koi keepers know that common table salt has numerous beneficial effects on fish, not least a marked antiparasite activity

and the promotion of healing. Some people maintain a permanent low level of salt in their pond. Others add a low level over

the winter to help the fish survive these colder months. Salt has many other uses such as high strength anti-parasitic dips and

the reduction of ammonia and nitrite poisoning.

Ok so its common table salt, cheers for finding that out.

All i will say is yes agreed in a controlled enviroment salt is/can be used in a positive way to control disease and ph level control, but i do also think that overuse by anglers that arent so bothered to try and work out reasonable addition of salt to their spod mix/baits/grounbait could potentially be a problem.

Its like anything thats debated about with fors and againsts, hold off untill you have a confirmation either way from a respectable source imo.

I do also understand its a hell of allot of salt to go in to get an immediate reaction but what would the effects of prolonged overuse be? who knows!

From my days of dealing with tropical fish/cold water fish and marine fish i understand the importance of pH level although thats on allot smaller scale!!

Its not just the fish either, i wonder if the raised salt level would effect the natureal food and plants?

Off i go Googling again!

i think it depends on the venue if its a french pool/lake and its being hammered all year by us brits then id personal ban it all together but if it is a real sized lake over 10 acres then id say it would be fine and the lake will take care of its self :shock:

i think it depends on the venue if its a french pool/lake and its being hammered all year by us brits then id personal ban it all together but if it is a real sized lake over 10 acres then id say it would be fine and the lake will take care of its self

I do think that with all the professional information that you have on the net nowadays it is a bit strange that a lake owner posts on a forum asking for views, come advice on something that is likely to affect their business. With answers like the one above it shows that you need to take the advice with a very big pinch of salt :? If you have one guy fishing on a 1 and half acre lake is that not the same as 10 guys fishing a 15 acre lake. Surely the same amount of salt is being distributed per acre. I think you need to do a bit more homework before you get yourselves into trouble. Posting questions on a forum is very dodgy as everyone has their own opinion and they will always feel that they are right, better to ask someone that works inthe business and knows the answers than someone that thinks they do.

ok honestly im not completly sure about this subject and i should of just said if in doubt leave it out that would of probably been better but in my defence i was going off the fact that if you ph water you need one drop to a litre of ph down to reach .70 on a ph chart but to 2 litres you need 3 drops to reach the same on the chart and so on what im trying to say is the more water volume you have the more stick it can take and thats were i got my theory from but you are more than write no one should be asking for that sort of advise on a forum a place were people like to put across there theorys NOT NECESSARILY FACT

I wasn't actually asking for advice on what to do (that I know) but more of opinions and thoughts ,maybe a fine line between the two .

The concern I have is when do people stop using salt and will it become a ban on most waters because of peoples ignorance as it was years ago with peanuts etc , could it end up the same way with fish turning up dead because of salt ???