Scared, is Linear safe to fish????

hi guys. im wanting to do a 5 day session at linear with my brother, however been told a few stories about tackle getting nicked. I have insurance but are the guys doing it likely to get nasty?

two rules to life, never touch a man's wheels, and leave his fishing tackle well alone!

you should be ok if fishing with someone just stay alert at night and invest in some motion sensors. mine cost £7 each and they come with remotes and a good range of detection. i put one hidden near my rods and one on front of my bivvy. :D

you should be ok if fishing with someone just stay alert at night and invest in some motion sensors. mine cost £7 each and they come with remotes and a good range of detection. i put one hidden near my rods and one on front of my bivvy. :D

I have a motion sensor also, its called a staffordshire bull terrier, not a lot gets past him, inc ducks, coots, rabbits, etc etc etc :lol:

Guest Anonymous

like someone said mate, security has been stepped up and the police are more consious of it now, you bring a mate and set up in one of the point swims you should be fine mate, (i said a point so that two of you can fish), im not gonna let a few pikey scum dictate where i go fishing mate, just take a few precautionary measure's :wink:

All the best 8)

• 10 months later...
Just heard someone has been hog tied and dumped into a ditch whilst they had their tackle pinched.

Anyone else heard this?

I think this happened in May last year and I don't think it was at Linear - Unless a very similar case has occured there recently?

It sounds like this story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-13572183

Strange thing about Linear and such places is that because it's so busy, you'd expect there to be less chance of this kind of thing occurring when in actuality the business of the place seems to give these scumbags a cloak to hide under.

Yup- I remember that story. Hopefully its all crossed wires and its not true.

Me too :(

It'll be a sad day when we literally have no choice but to go fishing with a mate and a ten inch blade under your bedchair. As nice as social fishing is, sometimes it's a lot nicer to be alone.

Hi Guys

i fished st johns at linear 2 weeks ago for the first time and was aware of the stories before i went and it didnt put me off! having seen the site now all i can say is there was no sign of any security apart from the baliff coming around same time everyday like clock work and it depends on which lake you are going to fish as the ones near the road i cant see anyone trying it but if you go to oxlease or some of the lakes further out on the complex they are a bit exposed, my advice dont let them put you off just go for st johns or manor for your first visit and then make your own mind up.

Davyman

what you gotta decide is this, would you want a motion detector, get woken up by 2 or 3 morons that want and are going to nick your gear or sleep through it? if you want to be woken come out and have a go and probably get a damn good kicking then get a motion detector, if you would rather wake up find your stuff gone and be safe to go home to your wife and kids then dont get one.

i am the type that if i wake there is no way on this earth some piece of scum is gonna take my gear without a fight and for that reason if it ever happens i hope i am asleep, my gear is insured and if i have to i can live without it. my wife, kids and grandkids however will struggle if i am laid up in hospital out of work, OR DEAD.

have heard that it is gangs of gypsies touring from area to area, a couple doing the stealing and a couple watching out

It'll be a sad day when we literally have no choice but to go fishing with a mate and a ten inch blade under your bedchair. As nice as social fishing is, sometimes it's a lot nicer to be alone.

I know that feeling being on edge and looking around your bivvy for the biggest blade or heaviest object especially more when I'm on the river

I had one incident many years back fishing a lake called Sampford Peverell which is smack bang next to Tiverton Parkway rail station. Had just dozed off in the tent (couldn't afford a real bivvy back then) when I heard a a bit of commotion and some lads stumbling past the bivvy, so started to panic thinking what little gear I had at the time was gonna get robbed and probably get a kicking at the same time, but luckily for me they were very apologetic and had just got off the train and missed the footpath that ran directly behind the hedge on the bank I was fishing so tried cutting through the ponds instead

its disgusting how this sort of thing can take place nowadays. I hope you decide to go and have a good time and screw the scumbags.

I am the same as alot of anglers, if i wake up then they aint taking my stuff without a fight. Luckily or maybe unluckily is i always fish with one of my mates who is the exactly the same, even though it is my gear, he wouldnt give it up without a fight either. the only upside is we is a ex traveller ourselfs and know how they fight.

PS. When i was we are ex travellers, we wernt the scum you get nowadays, we were the old traditional ones who never caused trouble unless someone started trouble with us.

I think we've all got to take these tackle theft rumours with a pinch of salt. I'm sure there have actually been tackle thefts from anglers on the bank, but whenever I'm told about an incident, it's always happened to a friend or a friend, or some other third hand story. I've never actually met anyone who's been robbed on the bank. We're all far more likely to get mugged at a cash point, or have our tackle stolen from our sheds while we're at work.

Obviously we all need to look out for each other on the bank, but I don’t think we should let this affect our enjoyment of fishing in any way.

And I know of a few lakes near me where the rumours of bankside tackle thefts have been deliberately spread by a few anglers trying deter others from fishing there.