zig

pompeytony

please forgive if been answered a hundred times.

I only came over to fishing for carp a couple of years ago, but i have started to have a go at zig fishing, my cast aint too bad, but the question i have is.

the lake i fish is about 6ft deep, would you start with a hooklength at 6 foot if nothing happens go down to five and so on, or would you start deep and work to the surface.

plus i am not good at judging depth so if you can see the fish cruising but not breaking surface how long would you have your hooklength

• 2 weeks later...

There are these float type devices on the market now which you can use on your zig which basically allows you to try different depths without having to tie new rigs or cut your length down. All the work is done at the reel i believe.. tempted to get one but ill try a 'original' zig first i think.

I think thosed are used particularly for depths over 12ft. I personally would start at around 2ft. And wouldn't go above 5, theres not really any need to, if there that close to the surface, you should be floater fishing, more fun too.

Dave Lane at Suffolk Water Park caught a number of fish by feeding floaters and fishing a zig underneath them when they came to their "dead zone" against the rushes.

Fox produce an adjustable Zig rig kit, although I haven't used one, I prefer a submerged float and a 30-60cm hooklink and then work it up the water rather than top down. If you prefer though with the adjustable zig you can go top down just by reeling in the line slightly.

Is there anything in this of any use?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=34983