Leadcore reccomendations?

carpkidd13

Hey Guys, I'm stuck on which leadcore I should buy, I don't to be going and buying cheap Leadcore which is going to let me down every time I hook a fish :x. Maybe refer me to some decent manufacturers of leadcore. Thanks alot guys! :D

Best advice, DON'T buy any at all.

There are loads of leadcore threads with the fors and against, but why use a product that adds extra risks into your fishing? :shock::evil:

In fact a product which lets you down every time you hook a fish :twisted::wink:

Rather than giving you advice on which one to buy or telling you not to buy it at all, can I ask you a question?

What are your reasons for wanting to use leacore? Are you trying to overcome a certain problem?

Once these are answered then you may get some sound advice.

Guest Anonymous

As Gaz says, heli style and the leader needs be no longer than a couple of inches more than your hooklength, as we did with tubing back in the day when dinosaurs roamed freely.

As for brand, I find the bulk ESP spools to be the best way to go, it's never let me down and if you find it too thick it can be stretched without compromising it's strength.

Hey Guys, I'm stuck on which leadcore I should buy, I don't to be going and buying cheap Leadcore which is going to let me down every time I hook a fish :x. Maybe refer me to some decent manufacturers of leadcore. Thanks alot guys! :D

Best advice, DON'T buy any at all.

There are loads of leadcore threads with the fors and against, but why use a product that adds extra risks into your fishing? :shock::evil:

In fact a product which lets you down every time you hook a fish :twisted::wink:

can i just ask in what way does leadcore let you down "everytime"?ive used it for years and ive never had a problem with the stuff.thanks to this forum i have now seen the damage it can cause to fish,but in my 15yrs of fishing for carp i have never come across anything like that nor many of the anglers i have fished with,if i had then maybe i would stop using it myself.

Would using leadcore leaders be safe to have on a standard inline setup? :shock:
imho, NO. i have caught a carp that was trailing 3 feet of leadcore on an inline set up with a 3oz inline tight on the splice. as i have already said mate, heli ONLY if you really feel the need for leadcore, tbh why do you feel you need to use it?

Because it is the best thing to use for camoflage and pinning to the lake bed, Ian chilcott uses it and he says its really good! I would use a clear nylon leader but I've heard that the line cuts through the loop :?:?

Simple experiment:

_________

Which line is the easiest to see?

I know it's not as simple as that in real life but hopefully you can see where I am comming from?

• 2 weeks later...

Now then, i am new to dedicated carp fishing but have been fishing for 40years, this afternoon i was going to go to my local tackle shop to purchase some ESP leadcore leaders but after reading these horror stories i changed my mind.

Apart from the net my only reference to carp rigs is the "Fox Guide To Modern Carp Fishing" in which many of the set ups use leadcore leaders giving the impression of them being the "Bees Knees"

Many of the rigs in this book also look over complicated, in all my years of fishing simplicity has always been a key to my bait presentation.

My first ever big carp, a near twenty common and a low double mirror were caught a few weeks ago on a simple small inline fox method feeder, tied to 8lb Sensor mainline with a 10 inch 6lb Preston hooklink, simple effective and IMO reasonably safe.

Another thing, i cant get my head around this practice of using hooklinks of higher breaking strain then the mainline, this means on a snap off it will always be the mainline.

This is not the case in all my other forms of fishing, so i can only presume that this a desirable trait in modern carp rigs and fishing.

Ian.

Ian.

please stay away from leadcore, the very fact that a huge amount of lake owners have banned it from their waters tells a tale in itself :!:

try tungsten tubing or synthetic leaders

jules this isn't a dig or anything just a query why would you recommend synthetic leaders over leadcore im guessing you mean like safe zone leaders and the TFG ones ETC why are these considered safer than leadcore? :?