-
Posts
2,733 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
283
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Blogs
Events
Articles
Everything posted by yonny
-
Torrix all day.
-
It was to land a fish, not place a bait!
-
This can work against you too though. I remember fishing an area a long time ago now and getting plenty of bites. But when I saw the area from the boat it looked nothing like it felt with a lead. In fact to look at I wondered how the heck I was getting bites from there due to the weed! Had I seen it before I fished it, I'd have not bothered, and not caught all those carp!
-
That moment of realisation that this was nearly half a century ago and I'm an old git!😭
-
Tbf if you're going to catch a stocky you couldn't ask for a better one mate. Fantastic looking carp 👏
-
It wasn't that long ago (early 80s) that 10ft was pretty standard. It was Rod H that pioneered the 12ft carp rod by fitting a 2ft parallel butt onto some 10's. It was done solely to get distance on the likes of Savay. In the simplest terms, longer/stiffer is better for distance. If you can afford to have multiple sets of rods I think it's nice to have a shorter set for the right water. If you have just one set, you'd be mad to go shorter that 12 (imo).
-
When you're rig is buried it doesn't necessarily mean you have no chance of a bite. A lot depends on the type of silt. Carp have evolved to harvest the goodies in the silt so I wouldn't worry too much about being buried, unless it has a covering of that dead/dying silk weed type stuff (it can mask your hook as it gets kicked up during feeding). There is nothing more frustrating that having fish fizzing away all over you but you can't keep your rig clean enough to get a take. If you can find a spot clear of that horrible silky stuff, silt is about as forgiving as you can get in terms of tactics. You can chuck almost anything in it and get a bite. Made me chuckle 😅
-
You have an absolutely amazing moon phase for the next 3 nights according to my moon app. Best of luck lads.
-
Bargain..... Manuka Health NZ MGO 950+ Rare High Grade Manuka Honey 250g | H&B
-
Maybe, but to be clear, propolis does not contain honey. It's a completely different substance.
-
Fortis Tundra Salopettes size recomendation
yonny replied to LC1975's topic in Carp Fishing Tackle and Equipment
Probably doesn't help at all but I'm 6 ft 4 and got XL. They fit fine, if anything slightly too big which I like. This is off the Fortis website: Size Guide Elasticated Waist (inches) S: 30″ M: 32″ L: 34″ XL: 36″ XXL: 38″ XXXL: 40″ Inside Leg (inches) S: 29.8″ M: 30.8″ L: 31.8″ XL: 32.8″ XXL: 32.8″ XXXL: 32.8″ -
I don't think that's 100% accurate. I had a look at the report that this article is based on when it was first published and (I think*) I recall it was looking strictly at propolis products rather than all carp care treatments. I have mentioned several times on here, way before this stuff was published, that I question the use of propolis in angling. The use of propolis originates in koi keeping. It creates a barrier on the wound to lock out any nasties rather than act as an antibacterial/antifungal solution (although dodgy marketing from the tackle firms would have you believe otherwise). This barrier effect is fine when a koi is living in a posh pond with clean, filtered water with controlled salinity. Not so fine for a carp lake - my opinion is that you risk locking nasties IN to any wound. There are other (non-propolis) carp care treatments options available that are genuine antibacterial/antifungal treatments. How effective they are is open to debate but one thing is for sure - they cannot do any harm to the fish. Even if it washes off straight away you can be safe in the knowledge that the hook-hold or wound was completely free of anything that could result in infection when you send mr carp home. My overall opinion is: we don't really need to use treatments, but if the right treatment is used, it cannot be a bad thing. Propolis is actually the "mortar" that bees use to build there hives! I think it's a mix of beeswax, bees spit, and plant resin. Clever little [censored]s aint they!
-
Now that's what you call a carp @kevtaylor. Well done.
-
Call me crazy, but I think you guys are looking back with rose tinted glasses. Imo you always had guys that lacked etiquette. I don't think that's changed at all. Obviously it depends on the waters you fish, with day tickets tending to attract such characters (as they always have done). On every single decent syndicate I've been on, kn*b heads have been few and far between. Yes you always find the odd one, but most are sound. I personally find it refreshing to find that most youngsters are a pleasure to bump into on the bank. They remind me of me when I was there age.
-
V easy to I'm of the same generation mate, and while it's easy to reminisce, I can also remember the not-so-good stuff. Worst of all being the rubbish clothes we wore for winter fishing. I honestly believe I put myself at serious risk back in those days. Boys will be boys though. Let's face it, most of the tackle was absolutely pants. In modern angling you can choose your approach and I maintain many of the values I did when I started. But now I have decent gear. Ergo, it's the best of both worlds for me.
-
Not at all. It's a decent topic.
-
I think tigers are a great examples mate. A little sugar transforms them. Agree on the salt (particularly rock salt), garlic and chilli too. Fantastic additives. I'd also mention fenugreek, yeast extract (marmite), condensed milk, fish sauce, fizzy drinks (coke/red bull) etc..... there's loads of them (most of which are heavy on either salt or sugar) that can really put a twist on your particles. Do they work?.... who knows. They defo don't do any harm as I've caught plenty of carp on all of them.
-
Hitting boiling point does not mean boiling out. You can boil all the water away. The salt/sugar will remain.
-
Depends what it is I suppose. Salt and sugar can't be boiled out. Soluble stuff can be added after boiling but it'd take a while to disperse through the bait.
-
You cook the goodies into them i.e. add during the soaking stage.
-
Not your standard nature shot!
yonny replied to salokcinnodrog's topic in Scenic pictures and wildlife
Awesome. I see them a lot, but v rare to get so close! -
DXRS and Mk2 Illuminated swingers?
yonny replied to riks's topic in Carp Fishing Tackle and Equipment
Tbf I'd assume the same mate. Keep us updated. I'd be amazed if they're not compatible. -
DXRS and Mk2 Illuminated swingers?
yonny replied to riks's topic in Carp Fishing Tackle and Equipment
I see what you mean. The MK11 swingers have a 2.5mm micro-jack (I think). Do you have anything else with a micro-jack you could try to plug in those little holes? -
Are you talking about Europe rather than the UK? I'd say a minority use boats in the UK, although they are growing in popularity al the time. And I'd certainly say that (UK) anglers consider big pit reels a priority.