Flourocarbon

baxter26

i was always of the opinion (way i was taught) that your hooklength should always be a couple pound in strength less than your mainline so if u get a break off the fish only has the hooklength and also if you cast into a tree then you dont lose all your setup/ float., usually.

When hooklinks are concerned it's often not so much an issue of breaking strain, but an issue of stiff / supple. Different brand of fluorocarbon have different properties (I.E. Rig Maroles is ultra stiff whereas ESP's Ghost is comparitively soft....)

It'll be a case of having a play around with different varieties and eventually you'll find your favourite. Go with any reputable brand and you won't go far wrong.

If you've never used it before then i would say go for a 15lb breaking strain or even a 12lb bs to start with. Tying rigs with a stiff material can prove difficult at first so you may encounter problems with an 18, 20, or 25lb....

Hi Guys.

I am going to start to use flourocarbon hook lengths and I was wondering what strength line to use a I have never used it before. I will be using 15lb main line so was wondering what strength would match it.

I would look at the Fox Illusion for all around use, the korda for stiffness ( note if you want real stiffness look at bristle)

I swapped from Korda to fox this year and the results speak for themselves

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=183901&g2_serialNumber=2

18lb linear last weekend when it was so cold the landing net let in freezing to anything it touched, part of a 5 fish haul taken on chods and 1 on a bottom bait. All chods were 15lb fox illusion

• 1 month later...
Have a look at Rig Marole H2O flurocarbon work very well, sinks well and if it is kinked then just some straight pressure will pull it straight again..

i have to say fantastic stuff. no more steaming :D i use it for my zigs as well, so easy to use 8)

doug

Will that be strong enough?

Also when I tie a knotless knot it comes out of the eye at a right angle :( and I find the whole thing curves from where it's been on the spool. I tried rubbing it but it doesn't seem to straighten out

To be honest id only use illusion as a leader or as part of a stiff rig. If you must then Stretch it out to straighten. This reduces the BS but it does straighten it.

Dont use the higher BS' for normal Knotless knot links or you will have the issues you mention. Try the lower strains or go with ESP ghost soft or IQ soft.

And yes, with the higher Breaking strains a 2 turn blood will be fine.Blob the tag with a lighter aswell.

Have a look at Rig Marole H2O flurocarbon work very well, sinks well and if it is kinked then just some straight pressure will pull it straight again..

i have to say fantastic stuff. no more steaming :D i use it for my zigs as well, so easy to use 8)

doug

Be careful with flourocarbon for Zigs, especially longish zigs and higher BS' because it will drag your foam/popup or whatever down over a period of time.