Artificial Corn

spudder

as tomorrow is my second session in almost a year :?

what is a good rig for 2 pieces of artificial corn, i have most of the stuff to make most rigs i.e. fluoro carbon, braid, coated braid, LOADS of hooks, rig putty, mouth snaggers etc etc you get the idea

any help please!

If its floating corn, then a combi link would work very well, something like Fox Coretex with the last 2" stripped back, tied to a size 10 hook, and knotless knot. This can be couter balance with either a BB shot or a small piece of putty. (I use some lead wire that i remove from leadcore, and wrap it round the hooklink)

If the corn is a sinking variety then i would fish a straight forward flurocarbon hooklink to size 10 hook, and knotless knot.

Now you can be really flash and put one of each on, floater upper most.

And it should become a neutral buoyancy bait, which i would fish with a combi link.

Don't forget to soak you plastic baits in some corn juice, or some other flavour, just gives a bit more attraction.

Hope that helps....

Thanks for the help. Im fishing at the moment and had 2 fish. One small one a fully scaled about 9 pound on double floating corn size 8 Korda kurv shank b to a 8-10 inch flourocarbon hooklink. Both my rods wont stop beeping! So i should be in for a good day! Touch wood!

I cant see how anyone can go fishing with pre-conceived ideas anymore! I used to fall into that trap then wonder what you are doing wrong when you dont catch.

You are using 2 pieces of artificial corn. I admit thats a good hookbait but then you ask what hooklink to put it on? How can we answer that when we dont know the nature of the lakebed? Surely that is the sole factor for deciding what hooklink on the day is best to use for the given spot in your swim?

Preconceived ideas?

There are times when I go fishing with the intention of trying something specifically and will stick to the plan with the want to learn something new.

I fished a couple of weeks ago over groundbait and used Fake Corn as bait to see whether it was a viable tactic for a particular fish, but although I caught, I got the area wrong and ended up with another "bag" of small commons.

My corn set-ups usually involve 2 or 3 real pieces on a hair with just 1 fake piece to give it buoyancy and "stack rig" it, although the session the other week was all fake corn on a large (size4) B175 fished knotless knotted.

It doesn't even need to be hair rigged, if you can find the right hook, then a single piece shank mounted is just about balanced.

The 2 Carp this week came on my "experimental" bait tipped with a piece of fake corn as the hair stop. Rigs were a Combi link Amnesia to braid, and a straight braid hooklink, both to a size 8 Nailer and Line aligned.

I cant see how anyone can go fishing with pre-conceived ideas anymore! I used to fall into that trap then wonder what you are doing wrong when you dont catch.

You are using 2 pieces of artificial corn. I admit thats a good hookbait but then you ask what hooklink to put it on? How can we answer that when we dont know the nature of the lakebed? Surely that is the sole factor for deciding what hooklink on the day is best to use for the given spot in your swim?

jeeez i only asked a question, dont bite my head off

HE DIDN'T, but for being a trifle insecure I will.

Tony gave you an answer, and an honest one. Don't be oversensitive, all his questions are pertinent and relate to YOUR fishing, which he tried to help you with.

As has been explained MANY MANY times before, the best way to find out is to get out there and do it. Watch, Learn and even Experiment to find out what the Fish want.

Tony gave you an answer, and an honest one. Don't be oversensitive, all his questions are pertinent and relate to YOUR fishing, which he tried to help you with.

As has been explained MANY MANY times before, the best way to find out is to get out there and do it. Watch, Learn and even Experiment to find out what the Fish want.

maybe i interpretted it wrong...

thanks salokcinnodrog, i feel better now :wink:

and thanks cal35, im not alone then :P

maybe i interpretted it wrong...

thanks salokcinnodrog, i feel better now :wink:

and thanks cal35, im not alone then :P

No problem, glad you took it as intended after reflection :wink:8):D

If what you have been doing is continually working it can be very hard to change what has been a winning formula, its just also very difficult to work out when it is time for change :oops::?

Just been looking at 1 of my Artificial Corn rigs, and I have a large B175 (size 4) with a long hair and 3 fake pieces of corn (2 buoyant and 1 sinker) and a plastic bead (the type used in those childrens "heat patterns"; sorry can't think of another way to explain it). I had a number of fish all on that over Vitalin and Sweetcorn a couple of weeks ago. That was a session that upset someone :? , they didn't think I should be spodding on the lake as it "killed" it for them. He had 1 fish on sweetcorn compared to my 6. The Carp just wanted loads of bait and he hadn't put enough in to hold them.

Cal,

I have a question for you. I know that the majority of us go through corn from side to side, do you find any difference in takes with the corn "end to end". It just seems a bit strange as it wouldn't land that way on the lakebed.

Cal,

I have a question for you. I know that the majority of us go through corn from side to side, do you find any difference in takes with the corn "end to end". It just seems a bit strange as it wouldn't land that way on the lakebed.

as you may or may not know, i did a tuition session recently and this was the way that i was told to put single fake corn on the hair :wink: !

i will go and try it out in a minute- you made me think about it :D !

Cal,

as you may or may not know, i did a tuition session recently and this was the way that i was told to put single fake corn on the hair :wink: !

i will go and try it out in a minute- you made me think about it :D !

Thats good then, thinking about it :wink::D

End to End may be best if corn itself is on lakebed, but may possibly be worse for hooking if the corn is hiding the hook and all the free corn is flat on the bottom.

If you see what I mean :shock::!:

Hmm, think you're right time to think about it and start watching the Carp's feeding behaviour again.

:roll::?:lol::lol:

right- this is sad i know :oops::lol: !

i tied up a little bag and the rig that i normally use- then put a bit of corn on like i normally do and then put it into a bowl of water, this is what happened:

004-1.jpg

how good does that look? the hook was hidden and the bait just stuck up over the little pile of quick dissolve pellets! :D

When i fish over spod with particles i sometimes use an artificial piece of corn on the hair and i also put it on the hair length ways. I do it with normal cooked maize as well because i think it lays better on the bottom.

Whether it does make a difference i do not know but im more confident when i set it up like that.

right then.do you fish this water often or plan to go around the swims when you can and get a rought idea of what the lake bed is like then tye all your rigs in the varietys .so then when you next go to fish you have a rig for every peg in that lake .a good rig to have for all situations is a normal soft braid on a simple knottless not style and a fluracarbon verion thes will cover you for gravel,sand ,light silt and most other bottoms.ps if you have a soft bottom were the lead sinks into the ground make shure you use braid so it lies flat on the bottom.a good rig for corn thoght is a simple fluro knotless knot rig with a little shrink tubing to make a more accresive angle.if you fishing for fish of the sizes you mentioned use low diamiter line and a small hook.my favorits are korda size 10 kurve shank b exelent for your fishing i think

right then.do you fish this water often or plan to go around the swims when you can and get a rought idea of what the lake bed is like then tye all your rigs in the varietys .so then when you next go to fish you have a rig for every peg in that lake

And why would you want to go to the hassle of doing that? Surely it is best to choose a certain hooklink material in a certain length for a certain bottom you are fishing over (taking into account your baiting pattern and the actual bait you are using) on the given day.

Apart from my choddies, i do not tie my rigs at home anymore. I get to the swim i choose, decide what bait im fishing with and the bottom im fishing over then tie a rig to suit the situation.

I feel doing it that way you are more flexible in your approach.

right then.do you fish this water often or plan to go around the swims when you can and get a rought idea of what the lake bed is like then tye all your rigs in the varietys .so then when you next go to fish you have a rig for every peg in that lake

And why would you want to go to the hassle of doing that? Surely it is best to choose a certain hooklink material in a certain length for a certain bottom you are fishing over (taking into account your baiting pattern and the actual bait you are using) on the given day.

Apart from my choddies, i do not tie my rigs at home anymore. I get to the swim i choose, decide what bait im fishing with and the bottom im fishing over then tie a rig to suit the situation.

I feel doing it that way you are more flexible in your approach.

My God, things have changed since I've been away, you're using choddies Tony?! :lol: