lead core

bully32

look at how thick leadcore is and your mainline, which will stand out more??

look at the breaking strain difference, which will snap and which wont??

why not just use a flying backlead on your mainline and fish a semi slack line?

if you have no experience of using leadcore, then dont. try anchor rig tube.

i have used leadcore for years and there is two ways of tying it, using a spliced loop in the 'core and attaching the mainline loop to loop which is the best way, or else you can use a needle knot. but 'core is a skill to use, not for the inexperienced or the faint-hearted.

:)

if you have no experience of using leadcore, then dont. try anchor rig tube.

i have used leadcore for years and there is two ways of tying it, using a spliced loop in the 'core and attaching the mainline loop to loop which is the best way, or else you can use a needle knot. but 'core is a skill to use, not for the inexperienced or the faint-hearted.

:)

I've never and never will use leadcore but I do agree with the above statement, and no I'm not inexperienced nor faint-hearted, it's just my fishing doesn't include leadcore, and I have seen what happens to fish where inexperienced anglers have used the stuff.

I hope the advise given is listened to for the sake of the fish.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

With a slight modification, pinch out the core of the loop end and feed through with a needle before tying.

It *does* have a place in fishing. 4-5 colours of leadcore (20 odd feet to a colour) will get your lure down approx 5 feet per colour, with a lighter strength leader (12lb leadcore, 6lb trace) and no swivel it works a charm.

For what you are intending to use it for a few .1g or .2g split shot on the main will have the same result, tied off to a swivel or join with a lighter hooklink should be fairly safe.

The only reason i'm considering using it is because i'm fishing the back of a bar/really sharp objects :? even the tubing has come back with cuts in it! i was thinking a snag leader, but they are braid! isn't braid worse than leadcore when wet? as they say dont use mainline straight through!

Who says don't use mainline straight through?

You use it straight through when surface fishing. You don't have tubing or a leader then so what's the difference. Keith Moors who uses this forum quite a bit only fishes mainline straight through with a running rig and he has had some very big fish using this method and also runs his own fishery.

Right let me add my fourpennorth. I use main line straight through with a light lead on a running rig and that system has been very succesful for me and will continue to trip up fish on most waters.

When fishing over a steep bar which has sharp objects over it I would still advise some kind of rubbing leader to enable you to land the fish without putting them at risk. You need to think about exactly what you need and if you can use tubing succesfully then why not? however if your tubing isn't producing the fish then by all means use lead core but use it properly. My advice (which also applies to the other types of snag leaders) is firstly to ensure that your mainline is strong enough so that you are not liable to leave a fish towing the leadcore. Probably 15 lb main line is ideal. Secondly use the lead core or other leader tied "helicopter" style so that the hook link can slide off if you do suffer a break and also make sure that any beads above the hook link swivel can also slide off easily. Thirdly use my own knot (Keith Moors Knot) to fix the lead core to the main line. I speciffically designed the knot to ensure that there are no tag ends left showing to pick up even the smallest piece of weed.

Be safe and be lucky.

Keith

I meant using braided mainline straight through. sorry should of made that clearer. the tubing is coming back whole but with little cuts in it, thats why i thought about using leadcore. i know how to use it safely, its just i don't want to leave abrasion marks on the fish. i might use a long hooklink so the fish doesn't come into contact with it. whats this knot Keith? can i find it through a search?

Copied and Pasted from a venues website.

PLEASE NOTE due to the near death of a fine 18lb mirror carp having been tethered by length of lead core for several days and luckily spotted by Tony and released, we have decided to BAN LEAD CORE Tony will be making some random rig checks and will advise on improvements and alternatives as we have discovered some very dangerous rigs. Anglers who continue to put our fish at risk will be asked to leave with no refund.

I meant using braided mainline straight through. sorry should of made that clearer. the tubing is coming back whole but with little cuts in it, thats why i thought about using leadcore. i know how to use it safely, its just i don't want to leave abrasion marks on the fish. i might use a long hooklink so the fish doesn't come into contact with it. whats this knot Keith? can i find it through a search?

Hello mate. If you google "keith moors knot" you will find diagrams of how to tie it.

Keith

If your tubing is coming back whole, but with small marks in then it is doing its job!

If you use a long hooklink then a Heli arrangement may well not be the best set-up. If that means that you have to use a Semi-Fixed or Running set-up then Leadcore is NOT an option.

I've actually fished a couple of venues knowing that with snags (mussel covered branches and gravel) I needed to use 2 metres of Tubing to prevent problems. The best tubing I found to avoid being cut up was Armourtube, think it is now sold by Solar, although as with all tubing the threading may cause you grief. :shock:

Re threading tubing.

I find that if you warm the tubing so that it lies straight then thread the line through by first clipping the line with nail clippers then when it catches inside ,as it will, twisting or rolling the tube one way with your fingers and the line the opposite way, it is like drilling the line through the tube.

A real easy way is to get some line through some tubing at home then pinch a shot on the line a few inches either end of the tubing.

If you then need to re rig on the bank after a break off then you simply remove one of the shot, attach your mainline to that end and pull through the tube and put your (hoped for) running system together again.

If your tubing is coming back whole, but with small marks in then it is doing its job!

If you use a long hooklink then a Heli arrangement may well not be the best set-up. If that means that you have to use a Semi-Fixed or Running set-up then Leadcore is NOT an option.

I've actually fished a couple of venues knowing that with snags (mussel covered branches and gravel) I needed to use 2 metres of Tubing to prevent problems. The best tubing I found to avoid being cut up was Armourtube, think it is now sold by Solar, although as with all tubing the threading may cause you grief. :shock:

not sure what you mean with the heli set up and long hooklinks? have used them in the past with no proplems.

not sure what you mean with the heli set up and long hooklinks? have used them in the past with no proplems.

What do you mean by long?

To me a long hooklink is above 20centimetres at the moment, although I have gone up to 60centimetres in the past (not with Heli Leads). I found that hooklinks above 20centimetres with Heli Rigs were more likely to tangle, and that also depended on the hooklink material. Braid is definitely more likely to tangle than mono/fluoro.

The only way to use longer hooklinks in my opinion, on a heli is to tie them back, which meant I may as well have not been using heli set-ups anyway as I can do as neat job with a Running/Semi-Fixed Pendant arrangement.