short or long

speersy26

this has probably been mentioned before but was wondering what everyones ideal hook length is and why?

I use mainly 12 to 14 inch hook lengths as I think that if the carp are testing the bait they will feel the resistance of the lead much quicker on a shorter length than a longer one, how ever I use smaller if I am using a method feeder.

Where as my mate uses shorter rigs 3 - 5 inches and if going off fish on the bank I am way ahead!

No definitive answer. Will depend entirely on the situation in front of you. Personally i tend to favour longer than average hooklinks, but then the lake i've been fishing of late is very very silty. This is where i do favour long hooklinks. 12-14" is the norm. However in the past when fishing firm areas of gravel or hard clay i will sorten right down to 3".

Hooklink length will also be affected by my bait application. For instance if fishing over a bed of small particle (be that over silt or gravel) i will favour short hooklinks due to the way in which i believe and have observed carp feeding. However if fishing over a spread of boilies or larger particles (nuts and the like) i'm happy to employ a longer hooklink (such as 10-12" hinged stiff rig) again due to my beliefs regarding a carp's feeding behaviour.

Weed will also play a big part in my decisions regarding hooklink length. Longer in silkweed for example.

I've simplified my decsions here but i'm sure you get the just of what i mean.

Have a read of this:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536

think we may have gone into rigs and rig length in this.

Bear in mind you may well need to change the rig length dependant on what the fish are used to, the bottom make-up and what other people are doing. Even the distance you are casting may make some difference :wink:

Change my rigs for different situations,some times i could be using a 3inch sometimes i could be using 13 inch

Good point Jake,

Can you please explain why you would change them, as I read it all the time but no one ever gives details as to why?

My rig length does vary on the baiting situation, i.e if i am fishing pva bag's or over a large bed of particles i will use a short hooklenght 3-6" long,because I have created a situation where the carp is more likely to move a short distance to the next mouthfull.But if I am baiting over a larger area with a scattering of bait's I will use a longer hooklength, i.e more of a confidence rig, as in these situation's baits can be more individually checked out, and the fish are more likely to pick up the bait and move off a distance in search of its next meal.

The lake bed also has an influence on your hooklength, I.E very soft silt "may" require a longer hooklength so that your hookbait is not dragged into it too far.

But try too make sure that the situation you are fishing in, or have created, is the parameters for your decision making :D

This may be use to someone :D cheers

Change my rigs for different situations,some times i could be using a 3inch sometimes i could be using 13 inch

Good point Jake,

Can you please explain why you would change them, as I read it all the time but no one ever gives details as to why?

For different situation,ive all ready said that,the type of lakebed im fishing,if the fish are being fussy with the rig,missed runs etc

Good point Jake,

For different situation,ive all ready said that,the type of lakebed im fishing,if the fish are being fussy with the rig,missed runs etc

I think noknot ment, What do you do if you are fishing over a specific lakebed, or missing runs or experienceing wary fish..? Lengthen/Shorten?

Why would you shorten it? Why would you lengthen it.?

:wink:

edit* as noknot has a name and not called he...

Good point Jake,

I think noknot ment, What do you do if you are fishing over a specific lakebed, or missing runs or experienceing wary fish..? Lengthen/Shorten?

Why would you shorten it? Why would you lengthen it.?

:wink:

edit* as noknot has a name and not called he...

I change things abit to the situation

• 11 years later...

I fish different size rigs from 3inch to 12 depending on what bottom I'm fishing on silt long combi rigs gravel or sand very short,  it also depends on the fish as each lake is different the lake im on at the moment the carp wait and watch the trench and bream if they get caught the carp do the off   so I dont bait a patch I'll just put 1 30mm boilie down as it attracts the bream and trench but to big for them mr carp comes sucks it up short rig sharp hook jobs a good un