What are the basic knots you must master as a novice?

stevew1805

Knot less knot hair rig,

Grinner Knot,

Figure of eight knot

These will form the basics of your fishing and subsequent set-ups :)

Have a browse Through the Rig tying stickies as there will be explanations and diagrams of them there :)

Tight Lines mate.

Thanks Zander - I am going out for the first time in about 10 days, but I have plenty of time to master those three puppies.

Many thanks for your help

I disagree, a bloodknot is not the best knot for the majority of lines due to it causing damage as it tightens.

I recommend the palomar knot is much better.

The other knots have already been mentioned - Figure of eight / Knotless Knot etc.

Top tip - Make sure you always lubricate you knot with saliva before pulling fully tight to ensure no friction damage is caused to the line.

Guest andypalf

Hi Steve. I have been using the grinner for years and very happy with it. But take a little extra time when pulling it down tight. As nash pointed out...lubricate it with a bit of split and you should get a nice knot.

For ease of use the palomer takes some beating and I've found myself using it a lot more these days.

Thanks boys.

I guess I need to go and get knotted now :)

Joking aside, you guys are helping me out no end. I am going out for the first time soon with an experienced guy, but all this background and info is invaluable.

Thank goodness for the internet and good hearted fellow anglers.

I disagree, a bloodknot is not the best knot for the majority of lines due to it causing damage as it tightens.

I recommend the palomar knot is much better.

The other knots have already been mentioned - Figure of eight / Knotless Knot etc.

Top tip - Make sure you always lubricate you knot with saliva before pulling fully tight to ensure no friction damage is caused to the line.

Certainly agree with this...

The palomar knot is my favorite. Very easy to do, and doesn't seem to cause damage to the line, like some of the others do - even when wet!

Figure of eight knot for loops on the end of hooklength. And the occasional grinner chucked in for good measure :D

For main line or hook link to swivel "palomar knot"

For tying hook with hair rig "knotless knot" or "dumhoff knot"

For tying shock leader to main line "albright knot"

If you must use lead core for heli rigs "keith moors knot"

The blood knot can strangle itself and thereby weaken the line so is best avoided.

I don't trust The blood knot, Forgot to mention the Palomar, i use the grinner more tho but they are easily the better knot choices for swivels and looped leaders etc

to me the Palomar seems to be stronger than a grinner in bristle filament but the grinner to me seems alot more reliable in mono. In Braid and coated braid they seem to be as good as each other :)

From the Rig Tying Stickies, this link gives another link to "animated " knots with some instructions on tying them. They can be slowed down for idiots like me :roll::lol:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25551

There is also another Sticky in that section that 666 put up :wink:

:lol::lol::lol: oh dear :)

Im very supprized Nick never noticed the slip,knowing him :wink::D

Cos I use a double granny knot tied with a special loop and pulled down tight dry :lol:JOKING!

Not noticed much recently, as Frank knows had other things on my mind :shock::wink:

I nearly always use the Uni knot, mainline and braid or for loops the knot on the kryston packaging.

For some stupid reason I can't get my head round the Palomar knot :oops:

I need to learn some more knots. The blood knot is the only one I can get to bed down nicely and my thinking is a well tied blood knot has got to be better than a badly tied grinner or palomar knot :oops:

Funnily enough you could be wrong. I did a lot of tests with the palomar knot and even tied quickly (it's never going to be the neatest knot) I found that the hook link broke at the knotless knot more often than at the palomar.