Norfolk Broads

pezza

I know this thread is old now but just found it. There are plenty of carp in the Wensum but the best place in my experience is either New Mills Yard if u have a boat, or anywhere near Wensum park. Ask around the park for the stretch called the swans nest, you shouldnt go far wrong there but as said be carefull at night and dont go alone coz theres been 1 or 2 phone muggings around that area. Ive fished it many of times and had some nice fish in there. Some good bream and tench there aswell if anyones interested

Wensum Park?

Thats the bit thats just downstream from Dolphin Bridge isn't it?

Crazy,

Have you had a look around the area behind Anglian Water Treatment works, between Heigham Street and the Ring Road or even Hellesdon Mill?

Not a good area to park a Car though, you are miles away from it.

ive don loads of pikeing up there in the winter but as u now the carp ae sulkin then but i fished a lure on the surface in the summer once and a koi about 15lb foloowed it i think local knowledge is the key up there ....

i wouldnt like to tell you the stretchs where i fish mind as i would class them as secrets.especially zander alley as i call it 8)8)

ive don loads of pikeing up there in the winter but as u now the carp ae sulkin then but i fished a lure on the surface in the summer once and a koi about 15lb foloowed it i think local knowledge is the key up there ....

i wouldnt like to tell you the stretchs where i fish mind as i would class them as secrets.especially zander alley as i call it 8)8)

Think I may have bit of that :wink:

I used to live in Norwich, well Thorpe St Andrew and on the Fiddlewood Estate

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Think I may have bit of that :wink:

I used to live in Norwich, well Thorpe St Andrew and on the Fiddlewood Estate

Thanks for directing me to this thread. do you know if there have been any barbel and carp flood from the wensum into whitlingham broads?

Thanks Dale

• 3 years later...

Hello all, new member here.

I'm from Norwich and fished the rivers for 15+years.

I have been reading through the carp fishing around Norwich threads, hopefully I can give you some information and also get a few answers to some questions.

Regarding Carp fishing, I've had 2 out this year, a 17 3/4 lb and 24lb commons. Both of off Thorpe Road, over the railway bridge and to the river at Thorpe End.

The one major tip is to check the tides on Broads Authoritory website http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating/tide-tables.html

(be aware the tide shown is from Yarmouth, so add 4 hours on).

Fished the same stretch for years and when the tide was out we never had a bite and wondered why, until some old bloke told us one day, we listened and he was spot on. We usually pull out around 100lbs of bream in 3/4 hours but you must get the tide spot on.

Fish with a small PVA bag and sweetcorn / boilies on a hair rig. Always pre bait 2/3 days before (at high tide).

Hope this helps.

I have a few questions regarding the fishing down Thorpe Road.

Oposite the Townhouse (pub / resturaunt / carvery) there is an man made Island (known as Thorpe Island) which has alot of old sunken boats in and around it.

Does anyone know if this is private ?

And how to get to it ?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
New Mills Yard on the Wensum is a possible, but getting into there you need a boat. For Carp try further upriver, by Dolphin Bridge and up behind the Anglian Water Station, I know for a fact that there are some big Carp along there that escaped from the fish farm at Hellesdon.

I to have seen carp in this area and between the mill and the old Jarrolds Printing factory which is now gone but you really do need a boat