Norfolk Broads

pezza

I went up there in the summer and asked the same question,and the replies I got basically said forget the broads for carp as if they are in there they are hard to find,so we just did some maggot drowning,which didn`t turn out too bad,as my some caught a Perch that went almost 2 pound,and as we unhooked it,it spat out a small roach!!It was a cracking fish tho.

I also got told to have a look at some of the lakes around there for the Carp,but we didn`t bother in the end,as the maggot drowning was fun in itself,I was suprised at how strong the current runs in parts of the broads tho,but we enjoyed it so much that we are going back next year.:)

Anyone know how expensive that Floating Chines Restaurant in Norwich is,as the food smelt really nice as we went past??

I spend a fair bit of time walking along that stretch of the wensum, have never seen carp there in over two years, plenty of silver fish though...

As for the chinese, forget the boat, walk another 50 yards and next to the fitness exchange is a chinese all you can eat restaurant, awesome menu, awesome food :)

There are the odd few good high doubles in the broads, but they are pretty few and far between by all accounts, know a lot of anglers in this area and not one of them has had a carp from a broad, know a bloke who has had two 20lb+ on rivers connecting broads and he's been back to those spots and never caught another, also get a few carp in the wensum in the lenwade area that have escaped lakes via whatever means, a real shame in all the years spent in my youth fishing rivers and broads and never had a carp

Will check out the book jemsue3, must be able to find a copy in the library

:wink:

I spend a fair bit of time walking along that stretch of the wensum, have never seen carp there in over two years, plenty of silver fish though...

As for the chinese, forget the boat, walk another 50 yards and next to the fitness exchange is a chinese all you can eat restaurant, awesome menu, awesome food :)

Ok cheers m8.

That stretch of the Wensum is not the Norfolk Broads mate.

There are a few carp in the Wensum all round Norwich just wait till the Close Season whack on the polaroids and get walking:)

As for carp in the Norfolk Broads have heard of a few caught but given the size of the Broads system I would not say they were prolific, but if you have enough time on your hands and a good boat to get about then good luck.

hi mate there are carp on the broads if you go to the little shopping complex near the big w walk down to the river stand on the bridge and watch you will see them seen about 7-8 swimming about between 10-15lb the water is clear so you will see them if they are still about there

I used to live in Norwich and fished the Wensum and the Yare. The Broads themselves don't really start until you get to Surlingham on the Yare.

There are some large Carp in the Yare, but locating them is a real nightmare, the biggest I have heard landed was a Mirror of 35lb from Thorpe. They are all along the River though, from the junction with the Wensum, all the way down through Thorpe, Postwich Woods End and down

New Mills Yard on the Wensum is a possible, but getting into there you need a boat. For Carp try further upriver, by Dolphin Bridge and up behind the Anglian Water Station, I know for a fact that there are some big Carp along there that escaped from the fish farm at Hellesdon.

I've fished some of the Broads for over 25 years now, mainly piking - summer and winter alike. The only ones I've seen have always been on stillwater broads that have no connection with any river systems. The trouble is, all my sightings have come during the winter, when the water has lost it's colour with falling temperatures, I think location would be very hard in the summer. Access is also limited on most broads which doesn't help matters either. Saying that however some of these fish are quite big and would be well worth catching. Prebaiting would be essential in my opinion, although natural baits may work better. I also think many biteless hours(sesssions) would pass before success was achieved.

andy cooper

They do fishing holidays so got an email addy, sent them one asking where i can get the book and they have one I can buy, will email back and ask to collect and have autographed, never knew he lived so close!!

Holidays look nice too, over 15 years fishing for mahseer in india, something i've fancied for a while.... only trouble is the price tag :(

• 1 year later...

got told by an angler and guy in the tackle shop of quite a few carp in the wensum to 30lb just upstream from the chinese and footy ground around the back of the shop up to toys r us.

he said they re rarely fished for as there are a lot of jakeys about drunk, and its fre fishing. what other species are there in this stretch and what size. they also said of some large pike???

got told by an angler and guy in the tackle shop of quite a few carp in the wensum to 30lb just upstream from the chinese and footy ground around the back of the shop up to toys r us.

he said they re rarely fished for as there are a lot of jakeys about drunk, and its fre fishing. what other species are there in this stretch and what size. they also said of some large pike???

In the Winter the Area from Riverside Road to the back of the Football Ground produces Roach up to the 2lb Mark, Pike to well over 20lb, some Big Dace to nearly a pound and the occasional Big Perch. Not seen Many Bream in the Winter though. Upstream of New Mills Yard there are som e Good Carp and Bream all through the Year

Because of the Alco problems at night its not an area I would fish after Dark now.

The River Green Area on the Yare at Thorpe is a Good Bet for Big Roach, Bream, Pike and the Occasional Carp in Winter as they hide out of the Main Flow. In Summer head up to the Whitlingham area for the Bream and Carp.

There is a Marina at Thorpe on the Island that the Carp head to to Spawn, there are a lot more that Go into that area than you would think. I have seen a good Couple of Hundred Fish in there.

Incidentally Guys, REMEMBER NOT TO SWEAR! I will ban the next Person who I sees put any Swearing in their Posts