Flying Backleads and Running Rigs

natty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why use them at all. They are to be honest just another gimic to make people spend money :shock:

If you happen to be fishing a weedy water using flying backleads can be quite dangerous. They can get stuck in the weed and any fish you hook could be miles away from where your line enters the water!

Better all round to just fish slacker lines to get said line on the bottom if needed.

yes I do?

where not talking about fishing in weed here pal? :?

Firstly, i'm not your pal, secondly I was just adding something to the debate about using flying backleads. If you dont like it fair enough. I dont think it was to inappropriate a thing to mention using flying backleads in weed under the circumstances....

Why use them at all. They are to be honest just another gimic to make people spend money :shock:

If you happen to be fishing a weedy water using flying backleads can be quite dangerous. They can get stuck in the weed and any fish you hook could be miles away from where your line enters the water!

Better all round to just fish slacker lines to get said line on the bottom if needed.

I fish with my lines fairly slack and still have a flying backlead on for good measure :D There's not much weed in my current water though.

you culd also try using a split shot with a rubber bead ast then if y whant to take it off and dont whant to take everything elso of you now you can and just slid the bead down to your lead

This is a VERY bad idea as the shot will lock the lead onto the line, meaning the rig wouldn't be safe, so a fish could end up towing around a lead, which could end up in the death of a fish.

oh yes i forgot he uses a running rig i tri to use a lead clip when i can and if i cant i use a helli rig when .i use a running rig i just cast then clip on a korda flying back lead on the line .dont like running rigs much to much movement along your line .pluse i dont like when the lead hits the buffer bead i think it can get hairy at times

sssf.jpg

There you go, the lead will be attached to the main line, the hooklength and possibly a fish as it will be unable to slide off the line as there is a shot in the way

even if you use a float stop the lead will never be able to eject with a running rig you need to use a clip on lead because if you have a float stop shot putty and so on the lead will still be on the line as the stop is kepping it on there that is why lead clips are the best you could have as many shot as you like the lead will still eject when under pressure really i only use a rinning rig when stalking the fish and realy that is what the rig is for to present a bait in the fishes mouth with minamle resistance while stalking the fish in the shallows .also when you put a shot under pressure it will slide of the line take it you havent been float fishing ay?

sssf.jpg

There you go, the lead will be attached to the main line, the hooklength and possibly a fish as it will be unable to slide off the line as there is a shot in the way

even if you use a float stop the lead will never be able to eject with a running rig you need to use a clip on lead because if you have a float stop shot putty and so on the lead will still be on the line as the stop is kepping it on there that is why lead clips are the best you could have as many shot as you like the lead will still eject when under pressure really i only use a rinning rig when stalking the fish and realy that is what the rig is for to present a bait in the fishes mouth with minamle resistance while stalking the fish in the shallows .also when you put a shot under pressure it will slide of the line take it you havent been float fishing ay?

At the start of your statement you say that if you have a float stop, shot or rig putty on that the lead won't come off the line. Then at the end you say that under pressure, the shot will come off?

Which are you saying is correct?

Im not even gonna start on running rigs or your opinion on lead clips, but would like to suggest you experiment a little further before making such sweeping statements. :roll:

i sopse so but either way lead clips rule just use a leader then use the backleads there you go fourm solved :lol: any way why not use leadcore or tubing it keeps the lake bed safe if you dont whant to change to that idea, just use clip . problem solved i say (or you could just use what you feel is right if you whant to be awkward :wink: )

that diagram doesn't look very safe to me?

am i right in thinking that if the lead snags up you need the line to snap for the lead to break free?, so a tethered fish?

I expect someone will tell me im wrong, but as I see it the only thing preventing the lead from coming free is the single shot on the mainline which would come off in a snag situation. Had someone used a second swivel instead of the shot to create the stop then that would be unsafe. I have to say though Ive never used a running rig as shown in the diagram, I am happy that with a decent sharp hook and being close enough to the rods to strike a take there is no need for a stop on the mainline.

that diagram doesn't look very safe to me?

am i right in thinking that if the lead snags up you need the line to snap for the lead to break free?, so a tethered fish?

I expect someone will tell me im wrong, but as I see it the only thing preventing the lead from coming free is the single shot on the mainline which would come off in a snag situation. Had someone used a second swivel instead of the shot to create the stop then that would be unsafe. I have to say though Ive never used a running rig as shown in the diagram, I am happy that with a decent sharp hook and being close enough to the rods to strike a take there is no need for a stop on the mainline.

I'd be worried with a Shot on the Line to be honest; Not for the chance of it locking up the lead, or the shot falling off, but for the worry that squeezing a shot on the line may damage and pinch the line creating a weakspot.

My view is that it is far better to use those Rubber "float" stops that are available. If you are worried about them sliding then 2 together tends to stop the problem.

Alternatively if you are happy enough to use tubing then Solar do Running Rigs that come complete with some Rubber Beads to make a "Shocka" set-up.

There is a diagram on this thread of a simple Running set-up:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37603

All you need is a soft Rubber bead above the tubing to make the Shocka style set-up :wink:

I fish mine the same way Vikingboy is surgesting. My set up is an ovesized ring on my lead, i use a 6-7 foot 15lb flurocarbon leader which is tied on via a leeder knot which has critical mass putty wrapped around it, this does 2 things, works as a stopper and also protects the knot. Alos for those who have problems with the putty sliding change to critical mass, boil the kettle then just put the pack on the top to warm it gen goes gooey and very sticky and wil not move on the line. :D

After the leader i use a mini rubber bead and backlead (korda flying backlead)

At the business end i use a longer than normal hooklink with a boom to help it fly apart.

If you are worried about safety then think about this, a run ring is what 5mm plus in diameter the knot withthe putty and the small bead are what 3mm........ you only have issues if your not setting a runing system up properly in the first place......

"I'd be worried with a Shot on the Line to be honest; Not for the chance of it locking up the lead, or the shot falling off, but for the worry that squeezing a shot on the line may damage and pinch the line creating a weakspot.

My view is that it is far better to use those Rubber "float" stops that are available. If you are worried about them sliding then 2 together tends to stop the problem"

I agree with you Nic, thats how I set my leads up:

Hooklink>>swivel>>bead>>lead(size depending on the bottom type)>>bead>>rubber float stop.

Simple and effective with no worries about the stop, as after a fish the stop has normally been moved 2ft up the line by the take!

Never needed to use two stops, as you can buy different sizes to suit your line Dia. I do not use tube, leadcore or leader.

But as this set up is so simple it looks great in the water.

• 4 weeks later...

check out the system that danny fairbrass uses in the korda underwater carp fishing 6, inline free running square pear, stopper bead a few inches up the tube, then he has a bead at the end of his tubing then the flying backlead, works perfect!! check it out

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FCgVaajDUnQ

tight lines

bill :D

With a running rig there is absolutely no advantage of using tubing nor flying back leads. The less bits and pieces hanging from your line allows the bites to be transmitted to your alarm more efficiently. Mono main line straight through with a fluoro hook link is very unlikely to tangle and, contrary to some suggestions, it is not necessary to strike in order to set the hook. I have now used this set up, with light leads at all ranges, for in excess of 10 years and the bites are normally screamers and well hooked and I am now convinced that the weight of the lead has very little to do with hooking the fish.

I agree with you moorsey on not needing anything on the line for running rigs,and that backleads etc only detract from the effectiveness of the setup.

However I wished with my whole heart I fished the lakes you do,not needing to strike :wink:

Most places I have fished with a running rig you do get some screemers,but on picking up unless very close nothing there.

At range realy have to strike hard.

A lot of anglers moved onto the fixed lead etc because it hooked fish for them without the need to strike, as they missed so many runs on running leads.

I very well remember the bad old days of sitting for days on end for runs only to mis them on the strike.

Changing to the hair rig did improve matters but not totaly,whilst the boltrig improved thing no end.

Only my opinion mind.

I agree with you moorsey on not needing anything on the line for running rigs,and that backleads etc only detract from the effectiveness of the setup.

However I wished with my whole heart I fished the lakes you do,not needing to strike :wink:

Most places I have fished with a running rig you do get some screemers,but on picking up unless very close nothing there.

At range realy have to strike hard.

A lot of anglers moved onto the fixed lead etc because it hooked fish for them without the need to strike, as they missed so many runs on running leads.

I very well remember the bad old days of sitting for days on end for runs only to mis them on the strike.

Changing to the hair rig did improve matters but not totaly,whilst the boltrig improved thing no end.

Only my opinion mind.

I can also remember the seventies on Darenth with my bed alongside the rods so that I could strike hard before getting out of bed but that was mainly because of the bait being wrapped around the hook and a piece of hard spaghetti across the bend to keep it there. I honestly have found that with an effective rig and a sharp hook the resistance of the line laying across the lake bed sets the hook without the need to strike.