'Big fish rigs'

carpingod150

Do you think they exist?

I suppose the classic example of this is the silt/chod rig. The thinking being that a bigger fishes eyes will be further from the ground when they're feeding, therefore the hookbait will be right in front of them, whereas smaller fish will have their eyes closer to the ground and not see it.

Discuss :)

no such thing as a big fish rig....have had several thirties on single caster when i could just of easliy nailed roach and rudd with it........selection is only available through stalking and presenting the bait or withdrawing it

How???

so if two fish were in the swim, a 35lb+ and a 4lb common, it would more likely catch the 35lb'r?

No, because the 360 rig shouldn't be used where small Carp are present.

Well that's my view. At least not without some adjustments.

goin to upset the apple cart now.....use the 360 and never had a problem even with smaller fish....mechanics are sound, just needs to be scaled to the size of fish with regards to end tackle

I have no problem with that. You know what you're doing, unlike someone new to the game that sees the rig in a mag.

Plus i don't like apples :wink:

okay a 30lb carp and a 35lb'r??

Both big in my book :wink:

would it be more likely catch the bigger of the two tho?

50/50, unless...............

Bigger fish tend to eat more, so the bigger, greedier fish would want to get to the bait 1st, so yes :wink:

Bigger fish tend to eat more, so the bigger, greedier fish would want to get to the bait 1st, so yes :wink:

so nothing to do with the 360/big fish rig then :lol::lol:

Yes. The 360 is one of the most effective rigs out there. Big, older fish are often more wary, so a less effective rig may not catch either.

Failing that, i surrender. You can have this one :wink:

goin to upset the apple cart now.....use the 360 and never had a problem even with smaller fish....mechanics are sound, just needs to be scaled to the size of fish with regards to end tackle

Yippe :D:D:D at long last someone whos tried the rig and uses his brain to engage his mouth,rather than let all the magazines brain washing rule his thoughts.

I have used the rig for a fair while now and have not had a problem,I even used it one day on a comersial whilst teaching someone how to fish.

Caught a large number of various sized carp,not one had fresh mouth dammage,but the hooks were scaled down.

so nothing to do with the 360/big fish rig then :lol::lol:

Yes. The 360 is one of the most effective rigs out there. Big, older fish are often more wary, so a less effective rig may not catch either.

Failing that, i surrender. You can have this one :wink:

Bang on again, I couldnt agree more.

Big fish are wary and the 360 is a very effective rig,so it sorts them out.

Do you think they exist?

I suppose the classic example of this is the silt/chod rig. The thinking being that a bigger fishes eyes will be further from the ground when they're feeding, therefore the hookbait will be right in front of them, whereas smaller fish will have their eyes closer to the ground and not see it.

Im sorry but if I read you right you surmise that a "chod" fishes the bait off the ground?

If this is your thought you are sadley wrong,the "chod" fishes the bait directly on the soft surface of silt,silk weed etc,whereas other rigs could pull the bait under the surface.

Big fish rigs do not exist,the way you can fish might be big fish selective.

Personnaly I think its the longshank nailer often used with the 360 thats the problem.

My mate uses it for big fish on big fish only waters and has no probs, another mate caught a double on the same hook and was horrified at the damage - he said it was like it had been done with a tin opener, a massive cut in its mouth.

I dont think its got anything to do with the 360 set-up, just certain hooks and small fish with soft mouths?

I have no problem with that. You know what you're doing, unlike someone new to the game that sees the rig in a mag.

Plus i don't like apples :wink:

You know my theories on how rigs are used. The Bent Hook rig and 360rig, published in the Magazines and every man and his dog gets onto them then Mouth damage occurs because they are not being used in the correct context. A rig is designed in most cases for the Fish in a particular water and how those fish feed (the bent hook rig for Longfield I believe), then word gets out for whatever reason.

I don't think that a type of rig is responsible for Bigger fish, but Rig lengths may have some bearing (thoughts running round my head I'll try to put into words at a later time).

True_Carp_king,

Don't think in terms of a particular rig first; look at how fish feed, how they behave, whether they are "suckers and blowers" or whether they actually pick up the bait. The Lake Bed, whether clean, silt, gravel or sand etc. A fish that Picks up the bait may get hooked on a rig designed for a Carp that sucks and blows, yet the Carp that sucks and blows may not be hooked on a rig designed for fish that pick up the bait (Over weighted or Critical balancing).

That could be complicated by the Lakebed in any particular area as the same Carp may feed differently on a different type of bottom.

That should define your thinking on a rig.

Want to go have a read of the Complicated rigs thread?

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536

Do you think they exist?

Im sorry but if I read you right you surmise that a "chod" fishes the bait off the ground?

If this is your thought you are sadley wrong,the "chod" fishes the bait directly on the soft surface of silt,silk weed etc,whereas other rigs could pull the bait under the surface.

I see what yo're saying there, but the mechanics of the rig as I spoke of them were on a clean gravel/clay etc bottom, sorry for not pointing that out

I realise the chod rig will not be brilliantly effective on this sort of bottom, as it was designed for silt/weed but it was just an example :wink:

Do you think they exist?

I see what yo're saying there, but the mechanics of the rig as I spoke of them were on a clean gravel/clay etc bottom, sorry for not pointing that out

I realise the chod rig will not be brilliantly effective on this sort of bottom, as it was designed for silt/weed but it was just an example :wink:

How much difference does the Lead set-up make on a Gravel bottom. A Helicopter rig can fish, in theory, any bottom make-up, although I don't like Rotary style rigs in weed (we've had that discussion before). An Inline or Pendant Lead could drag the Rig into silt, in fact so could a Silt set-up if the Rig itself is too short.

I'm differentiating between the Hooklink mechanics and Lead set-up as the 2 are actually separate, but can be conjoined in relation to each other.

Do Pop-up rigs become more Big Fish selective dependant on height above the lakebed?

What is the easiest way to be Big Fish selective? According to Rod Hutchinson, the answer is to "Do a Fred". Make the bait so big that only a Big Fish can get the Bait into its mouth