Hair rigs

mindgame

Well i've been buying pre-made hair rigs only to find how bloomin expensive it is turning out to be as they get broken and lost very often! but i look at the braids and monofilament you can use to make them your self but they cost alot for only about 10m of line. Does anyone know of any reliable material for hair rigs that isn't too costly? I heard sufix magic touch is a good monofilament or should i be using braid for hair rigs?

i guess i was lucky the other day when i caught my pb with a 7lb line difference! that's buying pre-made hair rigs for you, they had none smaller than 15lb! and my mainline is 8lb. Just a quick thought i was thinking of perhaps getting stronger mainline what would an 8lb mainline be able to catch up to?

i guess i was lucky the other day when i caught my pb with a 7lb line difference! that's buying pre-made hair rigs for you, they had none smaller than 15lb! and my mainline is 8lb. Just a quick thought i was thinking of perhaps getting stronger mainline what would an 8lb mainline be able to catch up to?

anything.if played correctly

make your mainline 15lb its safer, not neccersary but it would be easier, if your are going to use a braid hooklink use a silk braid such as kryston silkwormbecuase it is much niver to the fish also when you figure out how long ten metres will last you it is worth it.

make your mainline 15lb its safer, not neccersary but it would be easier, if your are going to use a braid hooklink use a silk braid such as kryston silkwormbecuase it is much niver to the fish also when you figure out how long ten metres will last you it is worth it.

Ah that was my question is it better to use braid or monofilament? or is it personal preference?

The general rule is the pound rating of the line should be able to land 4 times its weight so 8lb should be able to manage a 32lb fish.

I use a 15lb syfix synergy mainline and 15lb Korda IQ hooklink. Its all down to personal choice.

Ah that was my question is it better to use braid or monofilament? or is it personal preference?

Personal preference mate.

I mostly use Kryston Mantis now, which is a "Coated" braid.

Then you have the choice of, either using it straight off the reel, for a stiffer hooklink, or scrapping the coating off for a supple "Braid" hooklink.

Personally, I have tried them, but I can't get on with Fluorocarbon.

Your only using 3 to 18 inches at a time if you use braid and the bottoms silty use a permanent marker to colour it black or it'll stand out like a sore thumb, ive got silkworm,suffix ,snakeskin,stiff rig and all sorts they catch more anglers than fish including me . I would say beware of cheap braid a mate got me some from Wisbech market ,i had loads of takes ,but landed few fish ,i blamed every thing but the braid ,questioned knots i had tied for years,swivels cutting it everything ,by the time i narrowed it down my confidence had tottally drained ,you imagine hitting runs expecting to lose the fish ,i don't know how many 20's it cost me ,but i caught more 20's than doubles on the water and the smallest fish i had was 11 . I'm just one of them thick brummies.

The general rule is the pound rating of the line should be able to land 4 times its weight so 8lb should be able to manage a 32lb fish.

I use a 15lb syfix synergy mainline and 15lb Korda IQ hooklink. Its all down to personal choice.

Looking around i have noticed that you can get the korda IQ hooklink stuff extra soft or just normal . Which one should i use? i don't really understand the different version thing, would the extra soft break easier?

For the majority of my fishing i use 12lbs Fox Soft Steel, with 10lbs Korda Soft IQ Hookink which is approx 12" long tied to the hook with a knotless knot.

Every Hookhold i recieve is always in the bottom lip and the majority is bang in the middle.

Your question about IQ soft is the mono is softer - more supple where the original is slight stiffer and ideal for stiff rig, even chod rigs.

Looking around i have noticed that you can get the korda IQ hooklink stuff extra soft or just normal . Which one should i use? i don't really understand the different version thing, would the extra soft break easier?

I use the normal IQ, I haven't tried the extra soft hooklink yet.

Well i've been buying pre-made hair rigs only to find how bloomin expensive it is turning out to be as they get broken and lost very often! but i look at the braids and monofilament you can use to make them your self but they cost alot for only about 10m of line. Does anyone know of any reliable material for hair rigs that isn't too costly? I heard sufix magic touch is a good monofilament or should i be using braid for hair rigs?

I think I've just about worked out what you are trying to say about what the hair material is made from.

With a Knotless knot in most cases the Hair is a continuation of the hooklink, so whatever your hooklink is made from that is what your hair is made of.

On most occasions I'm lazy and use a braided Hooklink of Merlin, or strip the end of a coated braid etc Snake Bite, Mantis etc. and tie the hair with that and have a short section of uncoated braid above the hook on the hooklink.

If you go to this Sticky:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185

you have a guide to the Knotless knot.

On occasion though if I'm using a Mono or Stiff Hooklink then I want a soft hair. When I do that I use either Uncoated Dental Floss, 4lb Mono or ESP Hair Braid, dependant (lazily :oops: ) on what comes to hand first when I put my hand into the Tackle Box.

I tie the Hair onto the eye of the hook, then tie the Hooklink material on and use Silicon or Shrink Tube to cover and protect the knot. A small pice of silicon down the shank of the hook holds the hair where I want it to be in place.

are you saying i have to use shrink tube to keep my hair algined?

With a Line aligner you can use Shrink Tubing or Silicon tube to protect just the hookknot or extend it to make the hair come off the shank of the hook where you want it to.

If you look at https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22185 you should see in the pics where in the (my) rigs I have used Shrink (black) tubing to position the hair and protect the knot in one.

Then if you go down to 666 pics you can see where he has used silicon tubing on the shank, but not covering the eye.

At the same time in some at the top I have allowed the knotless knot and the whipping to position and hold the hair.

are you saying i have to use shrink tube to keep my hair algined?

Nope, you don't have to use anything :wink:

Some people like to put silicone tubing on the hook and thread the hair through that, to get the hair coming off the hook at a specific point. Have a look through the stick on rig tying that Salockinnodrog put up, that should point you in the right direction :wink:

Edit ; You beat me to it Nick

well there are positives and negatives to both of them from what i remember they are :

braid: moves around more naturally and will go into the fishes mouth easier, but is more prone to tangling

mono: less prone to tangling but moves around inthe water less natural and i think is slightly harder for the fish to pick up unless it some in at the right angle

i may not be 100% right with those points but i think the stuff ive said about the braid is correct