• Carp-R-Us Nailers
    • Hutchy Muggas
    • Gardner Talon Tips

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

The korda wide gapes anyday, ten times sharper than anythin else, ten times lighter for greater hooking capabilities and the B ones is very strong. I think the ESP ones and Muggas are no way near as sharp and would never use em again afta a session i had where they went blunt so quickly!!!

tigernuttom:)

I think the short and simple answer is to use the appropriate pattern for the rig you are using. The question of quality is another matter.

A couple of years ago I lost a VERY big fish when the hook and hooklink separated. The end of the braided hooklink was very frayed. A couple of hours later the same thing happened again. It prompted me to closely examine the hooklinks I had tied the day before. I was horrified to find that the hooks’ eyes were very poorly finished. In some instances the eyes were not closed to the shank and left sharp edges. This is obviously not good, particularly so if you are using a knotless knot whipped to the shank.

Since then I have been meticulous in choosing the hooks to use. I examine every hook with a magnifying glass paying particular attention to the point and the eye. I take no chances. Disappointingly, and perhaps rather disturbingly, I reject about one in four. I have yet to find a make that consistently produces the fault free hook.

I think the short and simple answer is to use the appropriate pattern for the rig you are using. The question of quality is another matter.

A couple of years ago I lost a VERY big fish when the hook and hooklink separated. The end of the braided hooklink was very frayed. A couple of hours later the same thing happened again. It prompted me to closely examine the hooklinks I had tied the day before. I was horrified to find that the hooks’ eyes were very poorly finished. In some instances the eyes were not closed to the shank and left sharp edges. This is obviously not good, particularly so if you are using a knotless knot whipped to the shank.

Since then I have been meticulous in choosing the hooks to use. I examine every hook with a magnifying glass paying particular attention to the point and the eye. I take no chances. Disappointingly, and perhaps rather disturbingly, I reject about one in four. I have yet to find a make that consistently produces the fault free hook.

Have a look at the Gamakatsu G Hard,they are expensive,but I think you`ll find they are well finished.And welcome to the forum.