Mill farm gilmorton

I just wanna know if people have fished here lately

and if so how is it fishing the last time i went was ages ago

so any info and pics of catches if anyone has them would be great

and could someone clear this up for me how many fish

is there over 20 and is there a 30 like i have heard because

i wanna go and have a crack i just wanna know if it is worth it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanna know if people have fished here lately

and if so how is it fishing the last time i went was ages ago

so any info and pics of catches if anyone has them would be great

and could someone clear this up for me how many fish

is there over 20 and is there a 30 like i have heard because

i wanna go and have a crack i just wanna know if it is worth it.

Tom still runs it but it is so full of small fish that youd have real trouble targeting the bigger ones.

though there did used to be a year group of older bigger fish that used to patrol the far margins. it used to be easy to catch these bigger fish with marginal traps but now its all covered in canadian pond weed. covering any shallower areas, the weed is very abrasive and most fish tend to burrow under it, summer evenings on floaters might see you able to select fish overall far too many tiddlers and no nights no more.

the large gravel beds and humps are brilliant for runs but again very abrasive through mussels.

Its been said that there is a thirty in there for the past thirteen years at a time when there definately wasn't.

i just dont think it will ever be a big fish water most fish top out low twenties at a push.

On the trouble side of leicester lakes fished here for years never had any.

Still owned by Tom although his son does some of the baliffing now I am led to believe, good water if you want a few runs. No nights allowed there any more though.

I fished there regularly from early 2004 until May of last year, must have caught all but one of the fish in there. The gravel pit on there is worth a go; the match lake has some big fish in but is full of pasties.

Not really worth it in the mid summer to be honest gets packed with numpties at the weekends. Other than that it’s a great winter water and definitely worth it in the spring, I was averaging over a dozen in a day last winter. The average fish size is very small now, at around 8lbs which can be annoying trying to wade through them, and there are probably only 5 fish in there worth targeting. Two of which are large dark commons, look almost identical really fat and almost black in colour, look like pigs with fins in the water. One is around 21lb and the other 25lbs, I had the larger of the two in June 06 just before spawning and it went 27lb 1oz, and that is currently the biggest fish in there. The others are a really lean thick set mirror of 23-24lbs and two other mirrors which are scraping 20s. The lean mirror is the one I wanted, having lost it at the net once and missed a chance stalking it early last year. Talking of which stalking is defiantly worth a go here, as they are easily catchable right in the edge. Also better to select individual fish out, I had the big common 6ft from the bank next to one of the big weed beds on the far car park swim.

The weed has got bad but luckily that will put off a lot of the people who aren’t confident fishing near to it, use the rake which tom keeps to clear your margin and you’ll have no problem. Zig rigs tear the place apart! I was having a bad winter on there three years ago so gave one a go more out of hope than anything and caught two fish within 20 minutes on the one rod, never looked back. Most people have cottoned onto that now though and it is a method which is used pretty regularly there now so it is not as effective, but still very productive. Fish with bright fruity baits and a hook link of 10ft, cast to the main body of the lake and you’ll have to be a numpty not to catch.

In the spring use zigs too, trimmed down pop ups, rig foam or rubber baits well literally anything which floats and spod a sloppy soup mix over the top, I stopped fishing the place when I ended up landing in excess of 35 fish in a day session on two rods using this method. Stopped fishing there as I was only after that one fish I hadn’t caught, but didn’t want to wade through them all again.

As for a 30, no chance!!! That’s just Tom blagging it or info from some of the numpties on there who have ‘silly scales’ One group of lads in particular who have pan nets and no unhooking mats and claim all their fish to be about 10lbs bigger than they actually are.

Not sure what it is like now it's winter, but in the summer the bottom lake would very often have a group of a dozen or so Asians fish it. No problem with that but they used to put a seat box in every single consecutive peg along the far bank so no one else could fish it, but then they would just fish off those jettys which are on there, meaning the area they wernt fishing still couldnt be fished. Atleast 6 of them on each jetty casting there floats all over the place, yet with there gear taking up the other swims they wernt even using. And god help it if you started catching as they would descend on the pegs either side of you and if you moved follow you around the lake :shock::lol:

I may give it another go when my club water has its closed season this spring, and hopefully bag my target fish one a few short stalking sessions mid week.

Anything else you need to know then just ask :wink:

Good luck

Courtney

Cheers for that courtney you will ave to let me know when you are going down there and i will come and join you for a day.

Which pegs would you say are the most productive on there when i used to fish it it was the gardens and the peg to the right of it just before you walk up the steep bank. :wink:

In winter you want to stick to the deeper water, so the car park swims upto the mini island swim which has a bridge onto it, on the other side don't go much further past the first platorm, the one which has a large embankment behind it. Zig rigs are the way forward!!!! Just cast one out towards the main body of water and you're in with a good chance.

The lawn swim is pretty productive in summer, but it is easy to get cut off by people fishing the straight section or the other bank.

I'll dig out a few photos tonight hopefully :wink:

I may have a go down there some time, but am too focussed on having a few fish at winter weights in their prime condition from my club water at the moment :wink:

Tight lines

Courtney

Here's a few pics i have on my photobucket account

ziggy.jpg

lin-2.jpg

Not sure what on earth this was, went 3lb 14oz though (Ide maybe??)

IMAG0439.jpg

mid-double.jpg

darky.jpg

double.jpg

scaley.jpg

lin-1.jpg

lean-1.jpg

Mug fish

lumpy2.jpg

Mid-winter upper-double on the ziggies

common3.jpg

2nd ever session there

20.jpg

leather-brighter.jpg

The one i want

lean2.jpg

lean.jpg

lin.jpg

fully-scaled.jpg

17lb

18lb_3_3.jpg

27lb

PB----COMMON.jpg

jrcmat.jpg

1st-bottom_lake_12lb-1.jpg

My little brother

finn14.jpg

Top lake ghostie :lol:

ghost-1.jpg

That's only about 20% of the photos i have :lol: I can only be bothered to put up the ones i have on my photobucket account at the moment though...

Yeh fished it most weekends in 2005 - 2006, good for a runs water but ended up cathing all of the ones i wanted bar one

Learnt most of my basics from carping there

ha ha I've had that one you want, 21lb! oh and mary. :wink:

I'll shut up now coz you had the big common and I reckon that linear is the white fish I always wanted? :cry:

:cry::cry::cry::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted: Lost mary twice, once at the net because i hooked her in the digey side of her mouth.

Which linear? the ghostie one from the top lake?

ha ha I've had that one you want, 21lb! oh and mary. :wink:

I'll shut up now coz you had the big common and I reckon that linear is the white fish I always wanted? :cry:

:cry::cry::cry::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted: Lost mary twice, once at the net because i hooked her in the digey side of her mouth.

Which linear? the ghostie one from the top lake?

The 16th pic down - I'd imagine that the pale flanks above the linear scales could look white from above. I used to see a fish like that going in and out of the island bay, but never managed to hook it. It was so pale it looked white in sunlight compared to all the other dark fish - I did think at the time though that it was more like 18-20. Have you seen any like it! My mate had a 20 that was short fat and tall (ball shaped), that went off like a rocket, I'd never seen any like that in there before, a bit like one you had pictured above.

Your mate's 20 could of been this thing, ball shaped, Definately!!!!! :lol:

The white fish, could of been that linear i had, looked like a ghostie when i was playing it, that was only 11lb though.

Trying to think which one you could mean, may have to have a look through my photo album :lol:

As of the start of may i'll be back down there with a stalking rod, hopefully have the one or two i want, i knw the areas they seem to prefer now atleast 8):lol:

im fishing there on saturday thanks for the tips :D

what bait do you use Courtz :?:

jp

Any pop ups which are bright a fruity, pineapples or tuttis i have done well one. fish the zigs at 10ft in length using a 1 or 2 oz inline lead with about a foot of tubing behind, when casting feather it down and hold onto the line at the reel, just before the lead hits the water so the rig starightens out and doesnt tangle.