Mill farm gilmorton

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey chaps, brought back some find memories looking at the photo's of GillMorton, glad to hear Tom is still going as he looked on his last legs when I last fished it a few years ago.

Valid point about the un-hooking mat though as Tom never really re-enforced the rule and some of the fish were in a really shocking state which was a shame as those banks were fierce. The water seemed to have more than its fair share of parott mouths there-how some of the fish even got a bait in whats left of their mouths were beyond me. Always seemed to be one of those waters where if you actually owned it you would do so much differently but I guess Tom just wants the place busy!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
ha ha I've had that one you want, 21lb! oh and mary. :wink:

I'll shut up now coz you had the big common and I reckon that linear is the white fish I always wanted? :cry:

I know this is a old thread, but i had the 21lb out the other week, well i think it's the one your on about, when i caught it it was 20;b 5oz very dark in colour but a nice fish none the less. Caught it off the bottom on the gravel bar in the lake infront of the platform i was very happy with it :)

Tight Lines Tom, [/img]

Still owned by Tom although his son does some of the baliffing now I am led to believe, good water if you want a few runs. No nights allowed there any more though.

I fished there regularly from early 2004 until May of last year, must have caught all but one of the fish in there. The gravel pit on there is worth a go; the match lake has some big fish in but is full of pasties.

Not really worth it in the mid summer to be honest gets packed with numpties at the weekends. Other than that it’s a great winter water and definitely worth it in the spring, I was averaging over a dozen in a day last winter. The average fish size is very small now, at around 8lbs which can be annoying trying to wade through them, and there are probably only 5 fish in there worth targeting. Two of which are large dark commons, look almost identical really fat and almost black in colour, look like pigs with fins in the water. One is around 21lb and the other 25lbs, I had the larger of the two in June 06 just before spawning and it went 27lb 1oz, and that is currently the biggest fish in there. The others are a really lean thick set mirror of 23-24lbs and two other mirrors which are scraping 20s. The lean mirror is the one I wanted, having lost it at the net once and missed a chance stalking it early last year. Talking of which stalking is defiantly worth a go here, as they are easily catchable right in the edge. Also better to select individual fish out, I had the big common 6ft from the bank next to one of the big weed beds on the far car park swim.

The weed has got bad but luckily that will put off a lot of the people who aren’t confident fishing near to it, use the rake which tom keeps to clear your margin and you’ll have no problem. Zig rigs tear the place apart! I was having a bad winter on there three years ago so gave one a go more out of hope than anything and caught two fish within 20 minutes on the one rod, never looked back. Most people have cottoned onto that now though and it is a method which is used pretty regularly there now so it is not as effective, but still very productive. Fish with bright fruity baits and a hook link of 10ft, cast to the main body of the lake and you’ll have to be a numpty not to catch.

In the spring use zigs too, trimmed down pop ups, rig foam or rubber baits well literally anything which floats and spod a sloppy soup mix over the top, I stopped fishing the place when I ended up landing in excess of 35 fish in a day session on two rods using this method. Stopped fishing there as I was only after that one fish I hadn’t caught, but didn’t want to wade through them all again.

As for a 30, no chance!!! That’s just Tom blagging it or info from some of the numpties on there who have ‘silly scales’ One group of lads in particular who have pan nets and no unhooking mats and claim all their fish to be about 10lbs bigger than they actually are.

Not sure what it is like now it's winter, but in the summer the bottom lake would very often have a group of a dozen or so Asians fish it. No problem with that but they used to put a seat box in every single consecutive peg along the far bank so no one else could fish it, but then they would just fish off those jettys which are on there, meaning the area they wernt fishing still couldnt be fished. Atleast 6 of them on each jetty casting there floats all over the place, yet with there gear taking up the other swims they wernt even using. And god help it if you started catching as they would descend on the pegs either side of you and if you moved follow you around the lake :shock::lol:

I may give it another go when my club water has its closed season this spring, and hopefully bag my target fish one a few short stalking sessions mid week.

Anything else you need to know then just ask :wink:

Good luck

Courtney

I know this is a old thread, but i had the 21lb out the other week, well i think it's the one your on about, when i caught it it was 20;b 5oz very dark in colour but a nice fish none the less. Caught it off the bottom on the gravel bar in the lake infront of the platform i was very happy with it :)

Tight Lines Tom,