Complicated Rigs.

salokcinnodrog

oh has no one told you? if your going to be famous you have to use other peoples ideas and claim them as your own :lol:

i must admit i was a bit worried wrapping the hair round the shank but its been brilliant so far had 8 tench out on it today everyone well and truly nailed on sz10 raptors with no other tubing or shrink tube!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read trough this long thread.

nice to see people realizing that modern doesn't always cut it down to more bites. I also try to keep it as simple as possible depending on what water. I take natural presentation into account as much as camoflage.

I have seen an article in a dutch magazine about carp fishing saying that a fisherman who was fishing on a water where the carp first came to the spot where the bait laid and that the fish rolled with his body and or waved with his pectorals first to look if the bait wasn't attached to something. call it crazy but i have seen weird things also according to bouyancy, not expecting this from creatures who I thought to be only intuitive and acting on instinct. they actually learn things along the way when they are caught.

2nd thing i have seen is an article stating that if you fish on hard water going back to basics in rig wise and lead types the fish will not expect that or might even forget that they have been caught on the rigs used back in for instance the 80's.

I think that if you combine old with a little new you will have the best of both worlds there where new still have to prove itself over the already proved old ways.

Edit* boyancy into bouyancy and tried to spell right :)

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread this.

Listen to Nick. He's right, one doesn't need to complicate things. Some of the rigs I see published amaze me. This isn't limited to carp angling as some sea anglers' rigs are a mass of swivels, stops, bait clips etc. The only people who benefit are the tackle shops.

The hair rig didn't become public knowledge until around 1981 which is when I stopped seriously fishing for carp. Prior to that I did catch the odd kipper from a big 'famous' pond in the Colne Valley !!! The rig was very complicated..........size 4 Au Lion D'or 4" from a stop and 4 glass beads on a link as a weight, bait was pressure cooked maize on the hook.

Call it my KISS Rig...........'Keep It Stupidly Simple'

Mike

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Was reading a couple of other threads on rigs and thought that I could bring this one back to the fore for some more reading.

Are your rigs catching?

If yes then keep using them.

If you start to find that results dry up then you may need to adapt, but bear in mind the effectiveness of your rigs can depend on how or what you feed, just by increasing the free bait may make them effective again.

Have a read

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

Carp picking up individual baits may need to have different rigs from those feeding over a bed of bait. It may be as simple as the length of the rig or the hair.

I do know that when I use Pop-ups and Snowmen hookbaits I tend to "complicate" the issue as I prefer to use a D-rig set-up for them, don't ask why, a Confidence issue I guess

just got back from a 24 hour trip, things started off slow with only liners and false bites after changing the rig to something much much MUCH simpler than anyone had used on the lake in ages and because of that change the fish got confused again and i banked 7 fish in the last 5 hours :lol::wink:

• 2 months later...

Well all what i can say is thanks to Nick and Steve for some of the best fishing information i have heard, since being shown how to tie the knotless knot that is anyway :wink: One thing i have thought about since reading this thread is, everyone seems obsessed with pinning your end tackle down, but how about letting your hooklink looping up off the bottom? acting more natural so to speak or popping your tubing up vertically or the lake bed? might be treated with less caution.

what working along the theory that if the carp can see it, they are able to move around it without spooking? maybe they will, after all, i doubt they dont spook off every stick poking up off the bottom, can they tell the difference from a length of tube and a stick rubbing along their flank? i know they feel different, but how does the carp know that? he dont have fingertips!

:)

yeah thats it :D they sometimes just swim around a tight line without spooking. by making it so obvious it might just work!? i have seen a carp spook after picking up a stick whilst feeding, that was with no rig in the water. make what you will out of that. i cant say for sure if they can tell the difference between the two, but i think they will be cagey of anything they accidently pick up off the bottom whilst feeding. ill try and get down to a lake soon thats not a runs water, but not hard. ill report back with results asap.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Was reading a couple of other threads on rigs and thought that I could bring this one back to the fore for some more reading.

Are your rigs catching?

If yes then keep using them.

If you start to find that results dry up then you may need to adapt, but bear in mind the effectiveness of your rigs can depend on how or what you feed, just by increasing the free bait may make them effective again.

Have a read

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37416

Carp picking up individual baits may need to have different rigs from those feeding over a bed of bait. It may be as simple as the length of the rig or the hair.

I do know that when I use Pop-ups and Snowmen hookbaits I tend to "complicate" the issue as I prefer to use a D-rig set-up for them, don't ask why, a Confidence issue I guess

The past couple of years I have really been complicating the issue for myself, but bear in mind that I'm not fishing a standard water, but more now a heavily fished pit which is home to a number of very good anglers, and some big fish.

33lbPBMantisRig.jpg

I've been down the Combi-rig route with the same sort of ending (in fact it did produce my previous PB from the same lake, along with numbers of other fish), and at times I do still think that it is a very useful rig set-up. It is pictured with details of tyin on the " How to Tie the Knotless Knot" thred

Jemsue also asked why in many cases we overcomplicate things, (https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47507&highlight=complicated) but I STILL think that in most cases, there is no need to confuse yourself and the fish by anything other than a plain basic line aligner and hair rig.

I actually like playing with rigs, trying to think through why it would, or wouldn't work and what materials would work best to tie it up.

My one and only fish landed from my 'main' water this year came to a version of the reverse combi link.

I used about 7" of Supernova from the swivel, then 1.5" of 25lb Mouthtrap, curved severely, with the hook mounted chod style, fished with a pop up and the putty put over the joining knot. I think that once the fish took it into it's mouth it just couldn't get rid of it??

The fish was absolutely nailed!

Obviously, I've been using said rig on one rod ever since, along with a knotless knot bottom bait and a snowman on the other two, all to no avail!

s5500_326.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I had 2 carp this weekend on 2 different type of rigs.

The 1st Carp was a double, caught on an 8inch Amnesia pop-up D-rig Snowman fished about 2cms off the bottom.

The 2nd Carp was 24lb+, caught on a simple line aligned Nailer to 8inch Mantis.

Ok on a fairly lightly fished reservoir then sophisticated rigs are not essential. Or do we advance for the sake of advancement?

Is it strange that the larger fish came on the easier rig to tie?

How complicated do you think we make life for ourselves?

Interesting topic nick. I think allot of people are brainwashed into thinking " bigger fish, complex rigs " I like to keep things as simple as I can. Only change things when I need to, subtle adjustments. But if you are having no problems then there is no need to complicate things :) Dan.

• 2 months later...

I Have caught all my Fish on a simple Waggler or simple Slip singer with Hair

never used alarm in my life , Bolt ring ? whats that then ? helicopter ? thought that something you fly in the air with to get from A to B .

Simple fact is i am skint most the time but love my fishing so do it cheap and simple and i seem to be catching fish.

But i do put the work in. i have 4 little spots i fish and i am for ever visiting them having a mooch around maybe chum a bit here and there and when i think its right for fishing i fish.

but then i am lucky because now live in Canada not England so no more Day tickets Club fees over pressured waters etc etc.

Just lots nice Wild Rivers Creeks and of Course the Great Lakes.

But still think keep it simple keep it real . proper Fishing.

My Brother Back home in the old country still thinks Proper fishing is only done in River and Canals all that Fishing giant Goldfish bowls ent fishing he says

:rolleyes: