Absolutely gutted

mrmud

Whilst out wandering came across a nice little pond about 2 acres. After sitting for only a few mins I seen what I thought was a nice size barbel break the surface ever so elegantly.

Few mins later a carp crashes out the water. It must have been a easy 20.

I sat for a hour n watched and it looked to be packed with barbel(had my glasses 🕶️ 🤓). 

I was getting really excited now as nowhere local to fish them or I've never caught 1. I skipped away to the car excited to have a fish there n catch a few carp n barbell.

After a quick Google at the car and it not giving up any info I used my powers of deduction to work out which farm it belonged to. After knocking the door a lovely old lady comes out and quite keenly tells me to come back 9:30am.

Now I'm really excited.

Turned up back at the farm to chat to Mr farmer man who was nice enough I suppose who tells me...

Yes it's his pond but the pond is privately rented and the person renting it wouldn't allow me on there, but yes there's definitely barbel but he's not sure on the carp(defo saw them aswell)

Absolutely gutted 😭.

Think I'm gonna put a friendly letter through his door asking if he would pass my info on.

Looks like a hush hush syndicate.

4 hours ago, mrmud said:

Whilst out wandering came across a nice little pond about 2 acres. After sitting for only a few mins I seen what I thought was a nice size barbel break the surface ever so elegantly.

Few mins later a carp crashes out the water. It must have been a easy 20.

I sat for a hour n watched and it looked to be packed with barbel(had my glasses 🕶️ 🤓). 

I was getting really excited now as nowhere local to fish them or I've never caught 1. I skipped away to the car excited to have a fish there n catch a few carp n barbell.

After a quick Google at the car and it not giving up any info I used my powers of deduction to work out which farm it belonged to. After knocking the door a lovely old lady comes out and quite keenly tells me to come back 9:30am.

Now I'm really excited.

Turned up back at the farm to chat to Mr farmer man who was nice enough I suppose who tells me...

Yes it's his pond but the pond is privately rented and the person renting it wouldn't allow me on there, but yes there's definitely barbel but he's not sure on the carp(defo saw them aswell)

Absolutely gutted 😭.

Think I'm gonna put a friendly letter through his door asking if he would pass my info on.

Looks like a hush hush syndicate.

You’d have thought a syndicate would have known not to put barbel into a lake …

18 minutes ago, framey said:

You’d have thought a syndicate would have known not to put barbel into a lake …

My thoughts as well, barbel are a river fish, and from what I've seen do not grow as well or as big in a still water.

I used to fish a club water with them in 

Everytime I caught one it annoyed me so much I stopped fishing it 

I dont even mind fishing a river for barbel weighing ounces

Edited by framey

13 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

My thoughts as well, barbel are a river fish, and from what I've seen do not grow as well or as big in a still water.

12 hours ago, framey said:

I used to fish a club water with them in 

Everytime I caught one it annoyed me so much I stopped fishing it 

I dont even mind fishing a river for barbel weighing ounces

I know they're a river fish but can help get excited. Never seen a barbel never mind loads of them.

I fish at a farm about 3 times a year mainly in the winter months, from what I found out it used to be popular with the match guys but they can be a fickle lot 😉 and have moved on to other waters the last match must have been 5 years ago. . Theirs two waters one about 1 1/2  acres and the other a canal style which has the usual course fish but what I’m interested most is the Barbel which my mate and I have had to 8lbs they average 4-5 lb their in great condition scrap like mad and feed well in the colder weather but haven’t a clue how old they must be. 

The farmers wife who must be in her 80’s comes around about mid day no matter what the weather to do rig checks 😳 (with her dog who must be half her age) and give her advice. Banks and grass are well managed and with no litter, we only fished there mid week and it’s never busy with 6 anglers at most. 

Edited by B B

6 hours ago, B B said:

I fish at a farm about 3 times a year mainly in the winter months,

Are you the inside man I'm looking for to gain secret access 🧐 😂.

I'd happily chat the farmers wife up for a day's fishing😉. I'd even make her a brew.

14 hours ago, mrmud said:

Are you the inside man I'm looking for to gain secret access 🧐 😂.

I'd happily chat the farmers wife up for a day's fishing😉. I'd even make her a brew.

I had a chat to my mate last night to see if he’s up for a day there, he’s got his pacemaker installed been a month so he’s got the all clear to go. Easy parking and a short walk so his mrs is happy. Where do you hail from mr mud  ?