Test curve question 🤔

In a word,  YES...👍

I have landed fish up to 27lb on cane rods with a test curve of approximately 1.5lb. A 2.5lb rod will be fine as long as you are not looking to spank it a huge distance

Edited by bluelabel

8 hours ago, MRVIIX said:

Hi please can somebody explain the benefits of high and low test curve rods ?

I have 2.5tc rods I don't fish a long way out will they be ok for 30lb plus fish if played right 

TIA guys

Test curves and tapers.

This is a little bit dated as technology and materials have advanced, and higher test curves have sometimes been heralded by certain companies as a replacement for distance casting skill (not all were rod manufacturers)

The test curve is roughly how much pressure (weight) it takes to pull the rod to 90⁰.

A higher test curve rod is better for casting distances although usually the action is in the tip, whereas a lower test curve tends to be more through the rod. You can put more pressure on a fish with a through action rod than a tip or fast taper rod.

If you consider that record carp have been landed on rods with TC's below 2.5lb.

I've landed 20lb carp on 1.75lb test curve rods as well as 2.5, 2.75, even 3.25lb rods, and 30's on 2.75lb and 3.25lb rods.

Lee Jackson caught his 60 (2 tone) on a lower than 2lb test curve iirc 

he says he uses 3lb tc 

1lb on the left rod 

1lb on the middle 

and 1lb on the right ..

that quote isn’t probably worded correctly but I’m getting forgetful

Pictures say. Thousand words

https://youtu.be/cp6b_AhxVGI?si=HZBV18mSykbDQTqa

Edited by framey

38 minutes ago, framey said:

Lee Jackson caught his 60 (2 tone) on a lower than 2lb test curve iirc 

he says he uses 3lb tc 

1lb on the left rod 

1lb on the middle 

and 1lb on the right ..

that quote isn’t probably worded correctly but I’m getting forgetful

Pictures say. Thousand words

https://youtu.be/cp6b_AhxVGI?si=HZBV18mSykbDQTqa

Possibly also mixed in with Jim Gibbinson when asked the question "do you ever use 3oz leads?"

"An ounce on this rod, an ounce on that one and an ounce on that one".

Seriously high test curves have become fashionable not always for fish playing, but because the angler does not have the casting ability, and a higher test curve rod will supposedly improve their distance.

Then bear in mind in the 1990's with 8lb line (and shockleader) and 2.25lb test curve rods on 4000 Aero Baitrunners I could cast 125metres. In the 2000's with 15lb line and 2.75lb rods and Aerlex's I was hitting the same.

55 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Possibly also mixed in with Jim Gibbinson when asked the question "do you ever use 3oz leads?"

"An ounce on this rod, an ounce on that one and an ounce on that one".

Seriously high test curves have become fashionable not always for fish playing, but because the angler does not have the casting ability, and a higher test curve rod will supposedly improve their distance.

Then bear in mind in the 1990's with 8lb line (and shockleader) and 2.25lb test curve rods on 4000 Aero Baitrunners I could cast 125metres. In the 2000's with 15lb line and 2.75lb rods and Aerlex's I was hitting the same.

Not so sure if it’s become fashionable but rather what the manufacturers tell us we want lol.

give it a couple of years and they will go the other way again 

2 hours ago, B B said:

Wow …Did you boat it out ?

No, cast it, along with about 20 others all with the same amount of baits on.

When there is a rule saying 'free bait may only be put in by PVA' I can use stringers to my advantage when everyone else is fishing single baits...