Old line

Jays

Hi for one reason or another I’ve been out of the fishing game for about 3.5 years and I’d just respooled my reels with gold label pro clear and I think I only fish once b4 stopping and now going to get back into it but was wondering if the line will still be ok as you can’t get hold of the line line anymore and I absolutely love it and have full confidence in it so don’t really want to change, do u think the line will still be ok, the reels have been kept in storage so not in any sunlight thanks 

6 hours ago, Jays said:

Hi for one reason or another I’ve been out of the fishing game for about 3.5 years and I’d just respooled my reels with gold label pro clear and I think I only fish once b4 stopping and now going to get back into it but was wondering if the line will still be ok as you can’t get hold of the line line anymore and I absolutely love it and have full confidence in it so don’t really want to change, do u think the line will still be ok, the reels have been kept in storage so not in any sunlight thanks 

I wouldn't like to say, but I changed mine every year regardless, fishing nearly every weekend....

BUT in the end after ALOT of money spent, Katran Crypton 17,5lb 1000mtr was the line for me.

Screenshot_20231004_105758_Gallery.thumb.jpg.366261b178786227078282c9e6e7ed66.jpg

10 hours ago, Jays said:

As somebody who used to change his line at least once or twice a year, I only just changed my line last week after 3 years of regular use.

That is heavy fishing with Gardner Pro, in weed, playing fish, casting etc.

15 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

If it's not been subjected to light, it should be fine. If you are worried, walk it off and reattach it so the inner line is now the outer. I've kept lines in an old biscuit tin for years without any worry. As Yonny says, give it a good test.

While the top layer may be UV damaged, I'm not as sure of light damaging line as I used to be; what damages it, is exposure close to 100% elasticity or breaking point, and our playing fish.

I wonder even if copolymers are different to monofilament?

Obviously storing line, keep it as with everything in a dry dark place.